Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Help!Finger Sucker outside-COLD temps Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We're in in the mountains this weekend, where it's about 10-20 degrees during the day. Our 19 month old sucks 2 fingers on left hand, and plays with tummy with right hand. She's VERY SERIOUS about this little self-soothe-technique.

**Mittens go on...she howls and won't stop because she doesn't have access to her fingers. So, we take the mittens off and her hands freeze, of course.

**Plus she's in a snowsuit, so she doesn't have access to her tummy....so it's a double whammy for her.

She's in the Ergo on my back, if that makes a difference. No stroller.

Are there any tricks for handling this? Or am I just destined to be indoors for the weekend? (Which would be FINE with me ...but not so fine for dh outside with the others )

Help! We don't live in cold-temps, so I'm not used to this, and she's only my 2nd finger sucker....only #1 sucked fingers and not nearly so much! My Minnesota-mother was no help....none of us sucked our fingers..
Anyone?????

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

umm her mouth is warm figure she'll warm her hand enough not to be hurt by the cold by sticking it in her mouth?.. put a mitten on the hand not in her mouth.

Put her down to start with so that she is more active rather than just hanging out on your back.

Keep her mitten inside your coat so it's nice and warm.. and when her little hand gets cold.. she may accept the warm mitten.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Are you doing a lot of hiking or just playing outside in the snow?

I guess it seems obvious to suggest taking her out of the Ergo and letting her play to keep little hands occupied?

If you have to pack her and carry her...you might have to rig something...let her ride on your front in the Ergo - with the straps super loose so she can have tummy and finger access. Then, have Pete rig some sort of blanket thing to go around her to keep her warm and keep drafts out.

??

Last resort??

Have a bottle of wine chilled for Pete so that when he comes home in the evening from the day out with the 4 girls he can unwind?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JodieLyn wrote:
her mouth is warm figure she'll warm her hand enough not to be hurt by the cold by sticking it in her mouth?.. put a mitten on the hand not in her mouth.

Jodie ~ she sucks her pointer and middle finger....will the non-sucking-fingers be close enough to body-heat that they'll stay warm?

Jodie wrote:
Put her down to start with so that she is more active rather than just hanging out on your back.
I did that a bit last night, but she just kept wanting "up".....and it's pretty icy, so she just falls all over the place.

Mackfam wrote:
Are you doing a lot of hiking or just playing outside in the snow?
Playing and sledding. Later though, there is all kinds of "outside stuff" going on....caroling, nativity play, etc....so we'll just be hanging out.

The other problem is that to "get warm" and fix her, I have to go in shops....and she SCREAMS, which if we were in private I wouldn't care, but she's SCREAMING in a STORE....there's nowhere for me to go to get warm and help her or do a change-up without "disturbing the peace".

Hanging out inside for now...others are out with dad. I'm going to put her in the front later with my jacket over hoping she'll just pass out....since she hardly slept at all last night

At this age, the other girls were just happy to watch everything and hang out, no matter how cold it was. She is NOT!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Fingerless glove on the one hand, or the kind of mittens that fold back off the fingers. A quick fix is to just cut off the 2 fingers from a cheap knit glove.

My dd sucked those 2 fingers, and we just coped.

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

they have kids fingerless gloves and folding back mittens at th $1 section of Target now, also toddler mittens.
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version