Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Board & Card Games with HUSBAND Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

If you and your husband play BOARD or CARD games together (just the two of you), what do you play?

I'm looking for a couple new games for dh and I to play after kiddos go to bed.

Sarah said this in the "Christmas Gifts for DH" thread:
Sarah M wrote:
We love to play Ticket to Ride or Settlers of Catan after the kids are in bed-- my dh even enjoys them and he's not really into board games.

Anyone else?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

We play "The Office".

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Well, we haven't done it lately and speak about picking it up again, but in the past, we've been huge scrabble players and really like playing gin together.

I saw those recs by Sarah as well, and I had those games in my cart for a while contemplating them for dh. Maybe for his birthday in January!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

We used to play Tribond together, it's been sometime now though.

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Tami

We've played Boggle.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:

Sarah said this in the "Christmas Gifts for DH" thread:
Sarah M wrote:
We love to play Ticket to Ride or Settlers of Catan after the kids are in bed-- my dh even enjoys them and he's not really into board games.

Anyone else?

I'm not going to be much help as I don't have any games to suggest. Neither of us however like 2-person Ticket to Ride or Catan - much prefer the full game versions of at least 4 person, so tend to only play those with the family.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Now that we're in a house, we've really enjoyed Jenga.

I usually have dice in my purse for a round of Yahtzee whenever we're out anywhere. (or Ship, Captain, Crew. But that gets progressively more fun with more people.)

I just thought of Pass the Pigs, that one was always great fun! I may have to keep my eyes peeled for it this year just for the chance to yell 'Double Snouter'!!!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

So while I'm recommending expensive German board games , I ought to point out a few things.

Settlers of Catan is our all-time favorite, but it's really intended for 3-4 players. We actually prefer to play it just the 2 of us, and haven't run into any problems playing it that way. There is also a card game version, but we just don't enjoy it as much as the board game. In my opinion, the Knights & Cities expansion and the Seafarers expansion are a waste of money. We have both and never play with either of them.

We also enjoy Elasund, which is on super-sale at Amazon right now. It's by the same creator as Settlers of Catan, and this one is made for 2-4 players. Another game by the same guy is Candamir, also made for 2-4 players. We play that one quite a bit, too.

(Man, we sound like game junkies, don't we?! And this makes me REALLY want my husband to come home from his job training! 6 months is TOO LONG!!!)

I've already spent too much mula on my dh for Christmas, so I'm going to wait for his birthday in January to get Carcossonne. It comes highly recommended from a good friend with an eye for games. It's on super sale right now, too- so maybe I'll get it now and save it for January!

Here's a link to Ticket to Ride- I will admit that we've played this one so much that we have it down to a science-- no, actually, my husband has it down to a science. We aren't playing it much now because he wins everytime and jeesh- I can only take so much losing before I pout.

Ramble, ramble, ramble. Sorry for the super-long post. Apparently, we are European board game buffs and we didn't even realize it. I'm a sucker for absolutely any board game on the face of the planet, but my husband is decidedly not-- these games we both enjoy, and they've been great fun for in-house date nights.

Hope that's helpful!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

jenk
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote jenk

It's been a while but we used to play Rook and have also played Deluxe Mastermind- he usually beats me at both

hsmom21
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote hsmom21

We like to play Rummikub, Dominos, and Phase 10 (the card game, haven't tried the dice version).
Back to Top View hsmom21's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom21

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

marihalojen wrote:
Now that we're in a house, we've really enjoyed Jenga.

Heh. It made me giggle to think of you trying to play Jenga on a boat.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

We both come from card-playing families, so we are partial to regular old card or dice games (Thirteen, Pounce, Yahtzee, Wist, etc.), though we barely ever play anymore when it's just the two of us. We also used to play Boggle and Scrabble quite a bit.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Cribbage here. We got an engraved, handmade cribbage board/box, with room to store the cards inside, for son and dil last year...they play almost every day and love the board. I can't find the link, but your could search online.

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Oh, we love Carcassone - that's a great choice for your hubby's birthday, Sarah. We also really enjoy Ingenious, Hive, and Lost Cities.

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Servant2theKing wrote:
Cribbage here. We got an engraved, handmade cribbage board/box, with room to store the cards inside, for son and dil last year...they play almost every day and love the board. I can't find the link, but your could search online.

Oh--good one! We used to play cribbage all the time too, though we don't have a board anymore.

We also used to play a two-person version of Mahjong (my husband is Filipino, so I learned from his family when we started dating). That can be very fun but is a bit more complicated to learn than the others.

My husband would love it if I learned to play chess, but I just don't have the mind for it.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Paula in MN wrote:
We play "The Office".

I'm laughing so hard at this. This is a joke, right? But I'm still not even sure if you mean that you watch the office together, or have so much paperwork to do that you don't have any time for games.   

Dh really likes games like Pente and Go. I really wish I could say the same. He studies strategy and then whips me. And I'm not a good loser. I'm great at card games which is maybe why I can never get dh to play with me! Our favorite is Gin. And dh has been meaning to teach me cribbage for ages. We have a board but no pegs.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

dh and I don't play board or card games. i envy you guys! ok, we played scrabble a few times before kids.

my parents have played scrabble all their married life. one of my favorite mementoes of their newlywed days was my mom's little notebook of their scores. soooo romantic.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

SusanJ wrote:
Paula in MN wrote:
We play "The Office".

I'm laughing so hard at this. This is a joke, right? But I'm still not even sure if you mean that you watch the office together, or have so much paperwork to do that you don't have any time for games.   

Look what I found at Amazon!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

i mentioned one in the other thread - Lost Cities. it is a great two player game - one of the best i have ever played, and we play games a lot. i think we have almost as many games as we have books, to give you an idea.

Lost Cities is one that oldest DD specifically asked for now that she is married, too.

i do not like regular Carc as a two player game. However, some of the variants lend themselves very well to two players.

If you go to the Fun Again Games site, you can click on the tab that shows you just two player games.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

amyable wrote:
SusanJ wrote:
Paula in MN wrote:
We play "The Office".

Look what I found at Amazon!

Yep, that's the one! (I always win)

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version