Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Calorie dense allergen-free foods Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote amyable

That are also kid friendly? Am I asking too much?

Our almost 7yo is only about 37 pounds and is under the growth charts for both height and weight. Now, dh and I are both on the slimmer/petite build side, so it does run in her blood to some extent.

BUT, I also have been keeping a food diary for her. She doesn't seem to be getting enough calories every day! That could do it, huh.    Some days are better than others. Part of it is pickiness, part of it I think is that she is a slooooow eater and is full faster. I *thought* she was eating great for a six year old, but my food diary is telling me otherwise.

Her food needs to be dairy and egg free, and we have a peanut free household (but she's not allergic). Unfortunately, she is getting picky about many things, and doesn't like the other nut-butters. I could probably force one nut-butter sandwich a week on her because she's so accomodating, but that's it. She used to be sensitive to soy, but we are going to try soy milk again because it's a bit more calories/fat than the rice milk she likes.

She does like avocado (which are expensive and hard to get around here, they're always overripe in the store!), and a store bought beef/bean burrito that has a wonderful 300 calories and 14 grams of fat!

What are some calorie/fat dense foods your kids like?

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I would be wary of starting again on soy milk. It's just so prevalent (soy, that is) and such a common allergen. I developed an allergy to it as an adult. And the health benefits are certainly debatable, at best.

What about using coconut oil? That is high in fat. Would a popcorn with coconut oil on it be a good snack? Or veggies with coconut oil? I have a great coconut oil "fudge" recipe.

What about other nuts? I was never a fan of just eating plain nuts until I started soaking them a la Weston Price. It's really, really easy and improves the flavor, texture, and nutrient availability. I would just eat almonds and pecans all day this way if I weren't careful.

Can you do sheep or goat cheeses? They are more expensive, unfortunately, but there are some great harder sheep and goat cheeses pretty readily available now.

What about bean dips with corn chips for a snack? If you put canned black beans in the food processor with salt and maybe some garlic and onion it's pretty tasty and very economical.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Bacon burger?
hummus?
Guacamole?
Can you make smoothies with coconut milk? Yum!
Pad Thai with coconut curry.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Instead of soy milk, I use almond milk for my dairy sensitive kids. It's VERY easy to make and I'm sure would have more calories than rice milk.

My oldest developed a sensitivity to soy milk and I don't like giving it to my boys - something about the phytoestrogens (I think that's how it's spelled) simply makes me nervous with it.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

what about the protein powders.. there's ones out there that are soy and dairy free I believe (I think wheat based?) Then you could beef up any baked goods or smoothies (coconut milk is a good idea.. yum).

My BIL has a soy allergy and it is soooo very hard to avoid for so many things. I also wouldn't do the soy milk just because she may tolerate small amounts making it easier by not having to avoid everything with a bit of soy in it.. but if she's getting it all the time in larger amounts she may end up not being able to have any at all.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote mathmama

My dairy allergic child drinks hemp milk. It is packed full of good fats. You can find hemp in most well stocked grocery stores or you can buy the seeds online and make your own. I have to make my own because my dd is allergic to something in the commercially made ones. It is easy to make, just take 1/2 c hemp seeds, 2 c water, pinch of salt and sweetener to taste (I use 1.5 tablespoons of maple syrup) and blend it for a good while. You can strain it or not. I would think not straining would give more calories and fat. I unfortunately have to strain it for my dd to get it through her sippy cup. I do add the stuff leftover from straining into her oatmeal or pancakes whichever I am making for her that morning.

I try to put oil on almost everything my allergic child eats because she is allergic to all the good fat sources (avocado, coconut, dairy, eggs, etc).

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh I enjoy french bread dipped in olive oil (you can season the oil). Maybe she'd like that? my kids do.. though they don't like the balsamic vinegar I use in conjuction with the olive oil

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote Angi

Olive on everything LOL... My daughter is allergic to many more foods and we have used this for a calorie boost here and there. Mine is 4 and also drinks an amino acid formula daily. I totally understand your frustration.

- Fritoes dipped in safe salad dressing.
- celery with soy cream cheese and raisins (like bugs on a log)
- use Sunbutter to make safe peanut butter cookies
- hummus, homemade with olive oil

That is all I can think of this morning.
HTH
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

My kids are totally allergic to soo much.....I fix this stuff we call "Sausage and Rice." It is basically two packs of ground sausage, (Bob Evans has a pack of three at Costco that is free of scary stuff, natural etc), browned, and then I add a can of diced tomatoes, about three cans of water, about a cup of rice, let it simmer...and then I add some frozen corn after the rice has cooked, and you have.......Sausage and Rice. High calorie, high fat, high carb.....smells awesome.

Angi, thanks so much for the link above to that supplement!!! WOW, that looks just like what I need for one of my guys.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version