Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Favorite foods for boosting immunity Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

What are your favorite foods for boosting immunity against flu and cold?

Our new favorite soup is filled with immunity building ingredients...two main ingredients, fresh ginger and fresh garlic, have health benefits listed here:
http://refreshingnews9.blogspot.com/2009/11/garlic-and-ginge r-facts-and-health.html

Chicken Soup With Garlic and Ginger

~Bone-In Chicken Breasts or Whole Chicken (boil in 2.5-3 quarts salted water until meat is fully cooked and tender, then cut or shred chicken in bite-size pieces)
Add:
~Fresh Ginger, 1 finger approx. 3 inches, peeled, then finely grated or minced
~fresh garlic 1 whole bulb, peeled & finely minced or pressed
~fresh cilantro, 1/2 bunch, de-stemmed, finely chopped
~1 cup celery, thinly sliced
~1 cup onion, chopped
~fresh or canned mushrooms 1 cup, chopped
~1 teaspoon garlic powder
~1 teaspoon powdered ginger
~1 teaspoon garlic pepper blend
Bring to rolling boil, then add:
~Approx. 2 1/2 cup Brown rice
(All ingredients amounts are approx. as I don't really measure any of them)

This is a nice meal for children to help with prepping... even very young ones can pull cilantro leaves off of stems or chop mushrooms with a dull serrated dinner knife. I like to prep extra celery, cilantro and onion to freeze for later batches. You can also freeze whole ginger root...it loses flavor if chopped or minced before freezing. I simply store the wrapped whole root on top of prepped ingredients in the freezer. The soup freezes quite nicely, but I really enjoy making a fresh batch...you can just feel and smell the health benefits wafting through the entire house while the soup is simmering. The soup is really delicious with a little cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. We also like to serve it with Cheddar Bay Biscuits (similar to those made by Red Lobster), Salad and Mandarin Oranges.

Anyone else have favorite foods for cold and flu season?

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

That sounds so delicious! I think I'll have to try it out this week.

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

JennyM
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote JennyM

We like to add lots of garlic to things this time of year, eat tangerines/oranges, orange veggies (I've read several places recently that these are helpful), and we cut out a lot of sugar (besides that which is in fruit of course), and just lots of whole foods- veggies, fruit, good proteins.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Garlic, garlic, garlic!

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

What a GREAT thread ~ am going to print out the soup recipe and try it this week! Our family drinks Hawthorne Tea for an immune booster

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote Christine

My husband and I are actually having good luck with a vitamin supplement. We have been taking Vitamin D3 and colds seem to be passing us by. I plan to start having my children take it, too. I buy Wellesse Vitamin D3 liquid from Costco.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

cornomama4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote cornomama4

I'm making a lot more things with kale, like kale and red pepper pasta toss (just what it says, saute garlic and then veggies chopped up (lots more kale than you think), add to cooked bowties or something and serve with parmesean cheese) and spinach (spinach, cheddar, ricotta,garlic mixed and layered over brown rice, bake 30 min and top with italian blend cheese, broil for 5 min) and of course.......

RAW MILK
Back to Top View cornomama4's Profile Search for other posts by cornomama4

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We do 2-3 clementines a person each day, with rose hip tea on days with fewer clementines (tea with honey of course!). We do extra honey when any colds are starting to come on.

We do LOTS of mixed vegetables and will be adding the ginger and garlic per the above suggestions.

I know vegetables themselves are actually really great at clearing out the sinus passages.

So far, so good!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version