Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: pity party Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EmilyK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote EmilyK

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes.

I just got back from my local homeschool support group. I'm the only Catholic in the group in our small-ish community. I'm beginning to feel like I can't fit into this support group very well.

At church, there are lots of families who send their kids to the local Catholic school, so I feel like an outsider there too.

ON TOP of these, Thanksgiving is coming up fast. We've decided to stay home rather than to drive to see family (6 hours to his family/6 hours to my family). We are burned out on traveling AND on extended family.

So, I'm seriously feeling done in right now. Any kind thoughts to help me out of my funk?

Emily

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

Offer it up!    I'll offer my "downness" up for you.

Emily, I know exactly where you are right now. Our family is even farther away (about 13 and 18 hours) than yours. We are one of the very few Catholics around here and the only Catholic homeschoolers for miles. There is a local Catholic school here. It seems I go through this every year around Thanksgiving and then again at Christmas. I'm trying hard to remember that these children will always remember these holidays and we need to make them special. This year we are having a turkey for the first time in 2 years. I am committed to making a huge Thanksgiving feast, even thought it will just be us. I was with some friends of mine yesterday who talked about playing cards and board games after dinner and things like that. We'll give it a try. For now, this year, I am concentrating more on the menu and planning and it is helping me not feel so blue.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Do you live in my town? I felt this way the first few years of homeschooling. I'm still in the same group, but there are a few more Catholics. And I've gotten friendly with them outside of the group and church, which helps. Hang in there!

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Emily,

I am saying a Hail Mary for you right now. Praying that you can make the most of the time you have without your extended families.Embrace this time with your dh and dc. Know that you are not alone.

Blessings,

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

It sounds as though you are staying home for good reasons. If you're feeling down, it's totally understandable...but I hope you'll let us pray you through this slump.

May I suggest that you and your family do something (small, since you're pretty overwhelmed) for someone else this next week? Sometimes it helps to know you're bringing joy to someone else who's feeling sad or must be away from family.

Here's one idea - send hand-written letters to servicemembers in transit. I have been to the Ramstein air terminal a few times and it is normally clogged with servicemembers heading to or from combat zones. I never knew that the base community made holiday gift bags for them!

I'm praying with empathy - BTDT with the homeschool group thing. (I stuck it out, and finally things improved, but it took a looong time.)

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Sending you big hugs!

It is so hard to feel on the outside... I continually pray about this. I will definitely include your intentions with mine. In the meantime, let us be your support group! There is always someone awake and around here to talk to about whatever is on your mind. There is always someone ready to pray for you.

Have a happy and Blessed Thanksgiving... May Our Lady of Surprises give you just what you need to cheer you up!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I am sooooooooo sympathetic and am praying, dear. To get out of a funk - or at least find a break from it - you might want to set aside some pennies to splurge on something fun...maybe a night in a hotel that has a pool...or a nice dinner out...or purchase some DVDs and have a movie fest...or buy some yummy treats that you don't normally buy...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Angie's got good ideas, I think. Big hugs to you, Emily. I hate feeling on the outside, and it's true- sometimes homeschooling feels like a protestant world. We can feel like outsiders a lot of the time. That's why I love this board!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Since the first Sunday of Advent is Thanksgiving weekend, perhaps you could spend some time preparing for that day? (Purple construction paper chain links with prayer intentions written on them...Advent wreath...candles decorated by your children...???) Reading Advent stories and decorating in purple and pink are now beloved traditions in our home, thanks to these boards...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version