Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Seeing "red" in your kitchen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I'm fixing to paint my kitchen. I've been in homes where they use red-base for kitchen and/or dining area but I'm not really a "red" person and I don't like dark rooms.

Can anyone share with me the best "red" shade for this? What red shades have you used? There are so many.

What would be another good color. It's blue above wood panel right now...so no blue, please. And I don't want to use green as that's the sitting room color. Just painted bathroom yellow so I don't want that again. Or do I?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I love red! I have several cranberry-red painted pieces of furniture. In our former house I had a cranberry red below the chair rail and a yellow above with a nice border. Red is so cozy and warm. Dawn, By Sun and Candlelight, seems to have a nice red on her walls, I wonder what it is?

I wanted my kitchen red! Lucky you.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Olde Century Colors has some beautiful paints. I've used these on some of my furniture.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I was told that red (and yellow) tends to make people hungry...that's why restaurants use these two colors. My husband worries red brings out strong, irritable emotions. Beats me! (No pun intended. ).

I'm a very "earthy" type of gal. I like taupe colors but have used a "coffee-milk" in the master bedroom and don't want to reuse that color either.

"Cranberry" sounds very appealing. I love red heriloom kitchen pieces. I think something like a crawfish sauce (mayo/ketcup mix) might work. It would meet the red and earth-color in the middle.

While I don't like something too dark, I definitely want copy and intimate.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 4:09am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Cay, My kitchen is painted yellow and white, and I use deep red accents - such as rugs, tablecloths, things on the walls. I have received many compliments on it. My new kitchen is also yellow, but not a bright yellow, more of a warm yellow and orange-y color, with black accents. I like bold colors and I think a deep red or cranberry would be lovely in a kitchen.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Cay, in our Denver house, and now in this one, we have a buttery gold with white trim. We use red as our accent ... chair covers, table runner, valances, etc. The red looks great with the yellow, but the yellow is a soft, antique-y kind of color. We have oak cabnets and it all works together nicely.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Okay I'll be crazy and say what about more of a reddish/purple? More like wine rather than berry, kwim? That's what I'm waiting to do with our dining room below the chair rail, it'll match our curtains. And then sort of a goldish up top.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Are you attached to paint? I'm not a wallpaper gal, really, but I wanted red in my kitchen (the cabinets we went with were a grey that just wouldn't go well with the yellow I had wanted) and had the same fears you did. I ended up going with a small (as in the print is small instead of a huge pastoral scene) red floral toile wallpaper from Waverly. This way, I could get the color as an accent but not the darkness and closing in I felt solid red would have done.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Cay ... one of the reasns I'd be leery of red paint is if you want to change it at a later date, sometimes the dark paints are hard to cover ....just a thought

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Cay, I painted our kitchen in Oklahoma red, a cranberry red. Now, I had white cabinets in there and tile on the wall, so only the upper part of the room and around the door frame plus an accent wall was the deep red. I also had a wallpaper border at the top with red accents. Also, I had a high ceiling and lots of light in the room.

We did put a dark base coat down under the paint to make the red darker. It really worked wonderfully. And everyone loved my kitchen. My girlfriend, who bought our house, kept the kitchen color since she loved it so much. And I have painted my dining room here red as well and plan to do the same in the kitchen. I love my red.

I think that JenMack has red accents in her home as well. But like Mary says, if you paint with a deep red and decide you do not like the color, it will take quite a bit of work to cover the darker paints (read multiple coats of paint)! But I do love my red!

Have fun deciding! And remember, it is only paint!

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote violingirl

My kitchen is chili pepper red and white- I love the brightness of it. My cabinets, counters and tile backsplashes are white, so it's almost like the red is the accent color to the white.

As for covering a dark color- a coat with a good primer before your paint color should do the trick. I was able to go from an almost black green in our hall bathroom to a very light lavendar after using a good white primer.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I remember seeing Lindsay's kitchen in a post of hers...one of her first I think...and the wallpaper is so lovely and fresh. I'm not a big fan of wallpaper either, but I remember thinking that hers was so cheery and lovely!

My own kitchen is a sort of a chocolate latte' color (doesn't that sound sophisticated?) with high gloss cream color accents/trim. Anyhoo...it's a pretty neutral color, but all the accents are cranberry red. I have long thought of painting it a warm goldenish-yellow, but I haven't ever done it. I like the latte color.

I have a very large piece of furniture that we re-purposed in the kitchen and painted cranberry red with milk paint. It's a deep, rich color. The feel of the kitchen in general is pretty warm I think. I like having the kitchen painted a neutral, light color because the kitchen feels so light, but the cranberry accents really warm up the space. I actually love red accents in the kitchen. My family thought I was crazy at first...but it is very inviting and warm!

Don't read this whole long post...but you can see my kitchen walls and the cranberry red cabinet here anyway.

I really love reds in eating areas! If you're concerned, you could always do an accent wall to try. Plus, I think a deep, rich, cranberry red would look lovely against the wood paneling below. Both are warm colors. These colors are so inviting when lit with soft lamps I think. I keep a smallish lamp on my cranberry cabinet and use it often - not because I need more light in my kitchen (it's very bright), but because the softness of the light against the cranberry color is very warm and inviting.

Have fun painting...and pics please when you're done!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oh, right, Jennifer! I think my very first post probably shows the most of it: Wallpaper post

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oh dear, if you click on the pics to make them bigger, you can clearly see the gaps in the paper. We were inexperienced paper hangers and would definitely compensate for shrinkage more next time!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Think of a faded brick building for a soft red color.. or maybe a more earthy tone of red wood (cherry?) furniture.

You don't have to use the red on every wall either.. you could just use it on one wall.. and then a more neutral color.. like a cream (something with a yellow undertone) on the others.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote molly

I have tomato red living room, love it! Actually, I have so much red in this place, a friend recently joked, trying to find a red garmet in my house was like a Wheres Waldo book
That being said, cowslip is a wonderful earthy yet cozy color, and it works wonderful with red accents. As does a grey green, may seem hard to picture but thibk of Italian farm kithens.
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

We have "Apple-a-Day" red in our living room and I love it. It's not burgundy, not fire-engine-red, not orangey. This is actually the second time I've used it because we got so many compliments in the first house. I would have had it in the kitchen, too, but thought that would be too much for prospective buyers in the future (and I'm not repainting when we sell). Lowe's has it in their Valspar line, I think. If you use red, prime with a gray and it won't take 3-4 coats to cover as it would over white. Works great!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Hmmm. After moving up here, I have really become aware of how much what's outside and what the climate is like affect the color I put on my walls. For instance, in this cold, snowy climate, I would never paint any room blue because it would feel like it was freezing at least half the year. But my cheery red dining room (which was once green) and my cranberry red woodstove do a lot to keep us warm through the long winter, and the red especially looks good with lots of snow on the ground. I painted my kitchen a sunshiney yellow because it's cheery in a gray climate and it's a color that looks nice with the mossy green countertops I inherited. (plus, I really like yellow walls. Two of our bedrooms are yellow, too.)

But if I lived in a hot climate, I would not paint my kitchen red because it would be too warm, kwim? Maybe one wall of the kitchen in a shade that would match a red gingham tablecloth or curtains or a red geranium. I would still use yellow in a hot climate, though, because yellow (especially in it's lighter forms) is more of a neutral. I also happen to think yellow is a good color for kitchens because it's happy. But I have seen some very nice looking moss green kitchens, if you like the calmer, cooler colors. The nice thing about green is that it brings the outdoors in.

((ETA: Of course you said no green in your original post, which means I need to pay attention!    Oops. ))

I personally would be happy in a rose-colored kitchen with green and white accents, but there are too many males in my house for that.   

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote molly

Angela, you made some very good points. I suppose that is why I do like the darker cozier rooms; warmth in the winter months.

Let us know what you pick Cay!
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Very good points, Angela. I never considered that before. Makes perfect sense. Probably why we try to go with light and sunny down here.

I know, as I get older, I've had a few episodes of feeling as though I'm in a very gray area during the later winter months...and I don't like it. I need to take that into consideration.

Being such a visual learner, I've especially enjoyed "seeing" the pictures of some of your kitchens. Just enjoyed a tour of Jennifer's kitchen immensely. So love your baking center, Jen.

I'm probably leaning towards red with the holidays and winter coming but I might regret it in the spring...so I need to be careful what I use.

mom to 5

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version