Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: pregnancy nausea + constant need to eat Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

To be honest, I have no idea where to put this thread, but since it is about food, I figured I'd try here first.

Do any of you experience both constant pregnancy nausea (not vomiting, just nausea -- I rarely vomit, although a coughing fit or orange juice is enough to make me feel like I am on the edge) *AND* a constant need to eat? I gain so much weight in my first trimester it's pathetic. But the eating does help the nausea.

The problem: I need lots of little already prepared snacks throughout the day or easily accessible in the refrigerator. I don't feel much like actually *preparing* anything, if you know what I mean.

Any ideas? I have eaten through all our string cheese, the Kozy Shack rice pudding is too sweet, pretzels or crackers don't fill me up for very long, and I can only eat so much oatmeal, grilled cheese sandwiches, or Halloween candy!   

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Yes, this is how my first trimester usually goes. Small, very frequent meals help a lot with the nausea (I don't vomit either--just nausea). I like snack-type food that doesn't require preparation, and though I pretty much always have a sweet tooth , I do try to keep it healthy during that period if I can--too much sugar or fat often makes the nausea worse for me.

This is what I rely on:
Cheese, cubed into one-ounce portions (that seems to be the right size for me)
-- Cereal
-- Yogurt
-- Fruit (an absolute lifesaver for me, since fruit always seems to sound good, even when I'm *really* nauseous)
-- Toast, with either butter or jam (can't handle plain)
-- Half a bagel with cream cheese
-- Smoothie (yogurt and frozen fruit)
-- Salad with very light dressing (this is hit-or-miss)
-- Cubed chicken breast, baked and chopped in advance
--Pinto beans with a bit of grated cheese

I really try to go for protein and carb combos, which seems to help.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

I am like this too...but I can only eat things like crackers and pretzels and such, so that doesn't help much. Some nuts might be good...the protein is good for you and the fat might help it "stick" longer. Some people in our house have a tendency to sit with a can of nuts and inhale the whole thing, so I have taken to dividing portions up into little snack bags. It slows down consumption by the kids and keeps me from overeatng on them. My husband is undetered. He just grabs several snack bags.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

The only thing I can add is baby carrots...I remember eating enormous quantities of baby carrots in a attempt to quell early pregnancy nausea.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I have also found that sometimes spicy or sour foods helps the nausea way more than not spicy/sour foods..

So.. grabbing a cocktail olive for instance.. I can't eat more than a few at at time anyway.. and they're salty and sour and really help nausea with a small quantity. Hot sauce on my burrito (but not at breakfast).. things like that. Bean and cheese burritos are one of the best breakfast foods for me in early pregnancy.. preferably the frozen ones

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Maureen
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote Maureen

It wasn't until my fifth baby that I read something that suggested that sugars play a role in pregnancy nausea. I cut way back on anything with sugar (including orange juice) for the first trimester. This was so difficult for me to do, but it was well worth feeling close to normal. Keep up your proteins as well. Good luck!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

My last pregnancy I had tons of saliva for the first 4 months or so. Then, throughout the rest of the pregnancy I realized that even when I wasn't producing "enough" saliva to HAVE to spit it out, if I spit it out, I wasn't nauseous. I only mention it in case you wanted to get rid of saliva and see if it makes a diff. with the nausea.   ???? Ya never know. For me, there was a connection.

And, yes....all my pregnancies have been a constant need to eat combined with nausea. The only time I'm NOT nauseo is when I'm acutally eating. And, I gain a ton of weight in the first trimester too.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Where did I miss that you are pregnant! Congratulations! I'm behind the times I guess.

I eat a lot during the first trimester too to stave off the nausea. I also find trouble with snacks. And, don't like much of nice dairy snacks.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

I had this trouble, too, in the first trimester in some of my pregnancies. With a few of them, chewing gum helped. Once it was Orbit orange flavor and another was a strong mint. Go figure    

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Angel

cvbmom wrote:
I had this trouble, too, in the first trimester in some of my pregnancies. With a few of them, chewing gum helped. Once it was Orbit orange flavor and another was a strong mint. Go figure    

Ok, so I tried the gum... and it works! For short periods of time anyway. But it's quite a relief in the evening when my nausea is worst.

Thanks to everyone for your tips!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I found that those protein meal replacement bars from Slimfast helped me. Sometimes, it was all I could do to nibble one, but I was sure something was getting down me...

((HUGS))

I've never had that combination (hunger and nausea--usually for me it is *just* the nausea), but I can imagine how difficult it must be.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version