Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Playmobile Nativity Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Does anyone have this? I just got a Catholic Child catalogue in the mail yesterday and was thinking this might be a fun gift for my two little boys for St. Nicholas Day.

If you have this, is it nice, and is it sturdy? We've never bought any playmobile because my oldest son was a lego diehard. He couldn't see the point in figure that were already built! I'd like something that can sit down low, maybe on an oversized tray, and that they can play with...I'm hoping maybe then they'll leave my other nativity set in peace???

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Mattie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Mattie

LOVE Playmobils!
Can't live without them, still now!
As far as sturdy, to put it in perspective, my kids are still playing with MY Playmobils when we go to my parents... And the Nativity set is part of it!

And I still play with them too... Shhh!

So basically I would say go for it.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

The Playmobil nativity is one of my favorite toys! Go for it!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

LOVE IT! The first year we had it Lucas was probably 3.5 yo and we set it up. The next hour I went back to find the wise men sword fighting each other. He incorporated Mary into his pirate ship crew, too...

Oh and our Target now carries these so you may want to check there and save on shipping. HTH!

Love,
JoAnna, on her ARK in NC

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

We've actually got 2, one which was assimilated into the Playmobil box. We liked it so much, we got another one!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'm the voice of dissent, I guess. Loved it, but because it was the play-with nativity as opposed to the nativity that's "for looking", we've lost so many pieces it wasn't worth it to keep the whole set together anymore. They got mixed in with the other Playmobil (bigger) pieces and now I don't know what's where. I wish they had made the whole thing in "regular size" Playmobil.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I will descent a bit here too.

There are a few things that I don't like about Playmobil.
1. There are so many little pieces that something always gets lost.
2. Ever time I have let them have the little guys, they always loose their hair.
3. The packaging on the box looks WAY cooler then what you actually get...that's not specific to Playmobil, just really good marketing!!!

I know other families that LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their sets. But for us it hasn't been a good fit in the past. With that being said, as my oldest boys approach 9.5 and 7 they desperately want some. I think that NOW they could keep things together and not loose anything. But, I still have two little's that will scatter pieces, etc.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Books~
There are 2-3 threads in the archives about Nativity Sets for Kiddos to PLAY WITH....with lots of links. There are a few more options if you're looking for them. Even if the links aren't still active, you'll be able to search for a few brand names if you have them.

And, one of my favorite mottos is: You can never have too many unbreakable Nativity Sets ......especially if you have lotsa young'uns!!!!!! I

found it......this thread...it has links to other threads.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

We have the playmobil nativity - standard size. I took out the fiddly bits last year for my then just 5 yo and almost 2yo. It was okay but for their age/interest too fiddlesome and bitty. They don't really associate how to play with the nativity story I guess - this year we are making some simple nativity figures from felt and wooden doll head/bodies as an advent activity, so they can touch and play but in a more simple way. We do/did like playmobil but my toy philosophy has gone way back to where I was originally, to the place where I want much more simplicity.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

LOVE it! I'm kind of a relaxed playmobil mom. we find bit and pieces around all the time, and some small components get lost.
however, I'd say we still have pieces 90-95% of sets that have lasted since 1996-7, when oldest was 4!
we use plastic tote type containers, but they end up getting kind of mixed up at times.
creative play, right?
plus, they never seem to break!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

stefoodie wrote:
They got mixed in with the other Playmobil (bigger) pieces and now I don't know what's where. I wish they had made the whole thing in "regular size" Playmobil.

What did you mean "in regular size" - ours is the same size as all the other Playmobil and accessories we own. In fact my kids have always used other Playmobil figures and accessories interchangeably with the Nativity, so that they have "extra" stuff in the manger sometimes.

And speaking of adding pieces to the set...I mentioned this in one of the other threads. A good friend of mine has a tradition of adding a new animal(s) or other piece each year. There are so many animals made by Playmobil. They have added duplicate animals as well as lots of little animals like ducks, geese, chickens, rabbits, frogs, dogs etc. as well as larger farm animals like goats, oxen, horses. Then they also have more exotic animals like wolves, deer, and elephants (that would have been used for carrying travelers and goods during that time). They have added some of the soldier looking figures to be a Roman centurian (they made him a little scroll announcing the census) and other shepherdy looking figures. It's fun to look through the sets and see what would fit in with the Nativity (rocks, trees, wells, etc.). They look forward to adding the new pieces each year and they have a HUGE set up now!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

MaryM wrote:

What did you mean "in regular size" - ours is the same size as all the other Playmobil and accessories we own.

I don't remember now where we got ours but they were definitely not "regular size" Playmobil. the people and animals were smaller, the accessories, angel, etc. think Hobbit compared to humans .

where did you all get your regular sized Playmobil nativity? i might want to get a new set for the kids -- had NO idea there was regular-sized option.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

ok, i better get offline. i must be hallucinating. my 10-yo is insisting that they WERE regular sized Playmobil. for some reason i ALWAYS thought they were smaller.

so yeah. ignore me.   

back to your regular sized discussion

mom to five

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2009 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Oh wow. I love the idea of adding in more animals! That's the final sell for me. I'll get them the basic set this year and add in animals each St. Nicholas Day.

Perfect. Thank you!!!

~Books

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

It was a hit! The boys have played with it pretty much non stop since yesterday afternoon (I might add, my 7yog is also playing with it). I added a Roman soldier who was on sale, and a set of brown cows (because my boys both *love* cows for some reason ). I pulled out the teeniest pieces since my munchkin is only 2, but the rest hasn't been a problem, in spite of the 4 yrs and up warning on the pkg.

And Stef, while the people are regular sized, the angel is smaller than the rest of the people.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, everyone. I think its going to be really fun to add to this set each St. Nicholas Day, and I'm just so excited that we have a play-able Nativity set now.

This is our first purchase ever of Playmobil. I can definitely see my boys becoming collectors over time!

~Books

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

YAY!!! I can't believe you've lasted this long WITHOUT Playmobil, LOL!
Our Playmobil is by far the most popular toy we own, since 1994 when we started with some "1 2 3" sets.
and, I love playing with it too!!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

LisaR wrote:

Our Playmobil is by far the most popular toy we own, since 1994 when we started with some "1 2 3" sets.
and, I love playing with it too!!!

Our oldest ds was a lego fanatic. He couldn't see the point in any toy that one didn't get to assemble, first, and he never really played with his creations...he took them apart to improve on them. After that our next three were girls who played mostly with dolls, dollhouses, etc. I just never really even looked at Playmobil.

I got a catalogue with my order though and I am just drooling over it, because my next two boys are much more into imaginative play with figures than my oldest ever was. I got a freebie that is going in my 4 yr old's stocking. If he loves it as much as I think he will, this will give me years of ideas for a quality investment.

~Books

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Bookswithtea wrote:

And Stef, while the people are regular sized, the angel is smaller than the rest of the people.

I finally figured out what made me think the nativity was smaller. About the time we got the Nativity set we also got our dd a Playmobil dollhouse, where everything was smaller. Well, when they got all mixed up, everytime I saw the small stuff I thought they were from the Nativity set. The dollhouse broke soon after we got it, but we kept the accessories, so there was nothing to remind me that we had it at one point.

Anyway....

mom to five

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote molly

Books, we got one yesterday as well, and it is our first playmobile set.   my boys love it.
However, did you see the mosque on the insert? What is that all about?
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

molly wrote:
Books, we got one yesterday as well, and it is our first playmobile set.   my boys love it.
However, did you see the mosque on the insert? What is that all about?

??? In the booklet?? I didn't notice anything like that. Is it on the cardboard stable portion in the distance or something???

~Books

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version