Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Questions about Mass Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Back to Top View donnalynn's Profile Search for other posts by donnalynn

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

My Mom and Dad were in this position at their parish before the church was built. They were celebrating Mass in the Family Life Center for a long time, and had no kneelers. Their priest told them to kneel if they could, stand if they could not kneel and sit if they could not stand.

This, of course, made for an interesting situation. You might kneel, but the person in front of you, might stand, and then you get a whole new view of God's creation. Eventually, my Mom and Dad used stadium cushions to kneel on,and sat in the front row, but if you're in a place that you're just visiting, you wouldn't know.

I don't know the liturgical instruction on this, but I just thought I'd share their experience and what their particular priest said to do.

God Bless,
Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

donnalynn wrote:
In the abscence of kneelers - is it ok to sit (on folding chairs, for instance) after receiving Holy Communion or should one remain standing? My girls and I were in this position this past Sunday and I didn't feel right sitting back down until the Communion procession was complete. If I thought my knees could have handled the bare floor - I would have done that - but I really can't.

This is what the GIRM says regarding postures (emphasis mine):

Quote:
43.     The faithful should stand from the beginning of the Entrance chant, or while the priest approaches the altar, until the end of the Collect; for the Alleluia chant before the Gospel; while the Gospel itself is proclaimed; during the Profession of Faith and the Prayer of the Faithful; from the invitation, Orate, fratres (Pray, brethren), before the prayer over the offerings until the end of Mass, except at the places indicated below.

They should, however, sit while the readings before the Gospel and the responsorial Psalm are proclaimed and for the homily and while the Preparation of the Gifts at the Offertory is taking place; and, as circumstances allow, they may sit or kneel while the period of sacred silence after Communion is observed.

In the dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason. Those who do not kneel ought to make a profound bow when the priest genuflects after the consecration. The faithful kneel after the Agnus Dei unless the Diocesan Bishop determines otherwise.

With a view to a uniformity in gestures and postures during one and the same celebration, the faithful should follow the directions which the deacon, lay minister, or priest gives according to whatever is indicated in the Missal.

I would likely kneel for a brief time if possible, then sit.

donnalynn wrote:
If Mass is said in a place other than a Church - in this instance a school's "all-purpose" room - do you assume Christ's Presence when you enter and genuflect or no? I didn't see any type of sanctuary lamp but there were two candles lit behind the altar.

Having gone through a period of gym Masses while our church was remodeled I know they didn't reserve the Eucharist there in any way outside of the actual Mass. In situations like that I would generally assume that Christ was not present as there is no tabernacle. If I see a sign to indicate otherwise - like the tabernacle lights - then I would genuflect.

Quote:
When the priest says "Through him, with him, in the unity of the Holy Spirit..." is he allowed to substitute "Through Christ, with Christ, in Christ..."?

No. But since it is not the words of consecration it does not make the Mass invalid.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

+
Back to Top View donnalynn's Profile Search for other posts by donnalynn

sarahb
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote sarahb

Perhaps they do not do them to be different but because this was the way they were taught at some point. Or because this is the way the parish did it before. Or because the parish they were with before did it this way. In most parishes these are sort of unspoken rules which the parish knows and no one explains- in my MIL's parish they kneel after Mass for a short time.

Our parish stands after receiving. Some people kneel but most stand until Father sits.

This isnt a hill to die on for me. Our family kneels as do many others. Our family makes the sign of the cross after receiving, some others do, some don't.

Wat matters to me really is the Eucharist. Jesus is there.
Back to Top View sarahb's Profile Search for other posts by sarahb

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

yes Sarah, or maybe had people question about the "Him" and he didn't consider further than helping confusion by substituting the name for the pronoun..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

donnalynn wrote:

I decided at the beginning of this Year for Priests that I would not complain or criticize the actions of any priest this year but just pray for them. Perhaps in this way God will more clearly show me what I am to do in these situations when things just don't seem quite right.
Do you say something? Do you explain discrepancies to older children?

There seems to be two different streams of thought on this - one seems to be to not question priests - the other being that it is our responsibility to speak up when something is awry. How to discern when a situation is a *must be addressed situation*?

This is a really hard one. For so long I was determined to not say anything, I didn't want to come out critising the priests, I know "you are critising his actions not him as a person" still... Our situation is that this is all my children know now, this is what they are growing up with. Our priest constantly ad libs and plays with the liturgy and as for theology well.. it has got to the point that I've had to start saying things and even then because I don't say much I'm sure my children are getting poor formation.

I got this letter yesterday from a friend who has moved:
The Churches here - I could right you a book. Finally I am back to Mass that is just perfect. I just smiled when coming out of church now - no more de-briefing the children. I should have come here ages ago - my soul has been dead but now is alive. Praise God. Everytime I go to Mass I say a prayer for you and your family - because I know what is missing and I am now filled. It breaks my heart to see others suffering like yourself. I will double my prayers

Sorry didn't mean to make it about me.
But one thing I have found helps walk the fine line is to ask the children, "Now do you know that sermon was incorrect?" and they know, they can tell me, I don't have to say much and neither do they.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version