Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Good Recipes for Sunday Hospitality Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Hi Ladies,

I've become convicted of the duty and blessings of extending hospitality, especially on Sundays after church. Usually I run around like crazy and wear myself out, not because I'm trying to impress, but just out of ignorance! There must be an easier way!

I am gone from the house about 4 hours. That means that I can't really leave something in the oven and that's usually not enough time for something to cook in the crockpot. So, do you have any recipes or suggestions for cookbooks or other books that would offer practical help for extending hospitality under these circumstances?

We enjoy having people over so much. I just need to work a little smarter. In the past I've been up at 5am making a lasagna so that I can reheat it in the oven later, I've made spaghetti, and burritoes. I need to get creative!

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions! I so appreciate the emphasis the ladies on this board place on cherishing their families. I want this to be true in my home and for God's love to so fill my home that it spills over onto all who enter. But at times I feel a little handicapped in this area. Thanks in advance!

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

For Epiphany we had baked French Toast (made with blueberry swirl bread and served with fruit syrup & French Vanilla Cool Whip), Potato Quiche, Ham slices, flavored coffee and orange juice (with maraschino cherry juice added). All of the food items were prepared the night before and baked in the oven with the time bake feature while we were at Mass....This was one of the simplest and most delicious Sunday dinners we've had in a long time! We usually make Sunday dinner the day before, or double a recipe and freeze extras when we can. We use the time bake feature on the oven or use the crockpot. Chicken Hawaiian Casserole, Roast beef with trimmings, Lasagna or Baked Spaghetti, Chicken Broccoli Casserole with Cheddar Bay biscuits, Strombolini, Shepherd's Pie, Chili in the crockpot are a few items that can easily be prepared the day before. We have an hour drive to Mass, so it is very helpful to make the Sunday meal on Saturday. We also prepare our clothes the day before, and have "Saturday cleaning chores". We try to have the house "company ready" when we leave for Mass (including setting the dinner table if possible), in case we want to invite guests home! Even if noone else joins us, it's very nice to come home to special food and a nice clean home! It makes celebrating the Lord's Day so much more meaningful.   
Servant2theKing

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Hi Servant!

Great ideas!! Can I come over?? Your home sounds wonderful! Could you post some recipes to the meals you mentioned if it isn't too time consuming?

Also, aside from doing the ironing and some of the meal the night before, how else do you ensure that your house is company ready?   How do you keep from having stressful mornings preparing for mass? Thanks again!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We recently had a family over for pancake breakfast after 10:15 Mass. She brought her big griddle and I had mine. We made bacon and the dads flipped pancakes. We embellished with strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate chips. It was really lowkey but such good fellowship. We had such a wonderful time and all 12 kids were so happy that they didn't leave until 5:00 that evening!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

You can cook a ham in the oven on 275 for hours.

Also something similar to these might be good with ham.

overnight rolls

I haven't tried this exact recipe, but this is the basic idea.

When I want a super easy menu I resort to:

1.a roasted meat-ham, beef roast, etc.

2.boiled new potatoes-scrub skins & boil-toss with sour cream & butter (can add parsley?)

3. drop biscuits--don't roll & cut, just add a big blob of dough to the cookie sheet. I actually prefer these to the rolled & cut because the trick to good bisciuts is to not handle them much. I can give you a great 1950's recipe & drop instructions if needed. My book's upstairs right now

or. . .store bought rolls/frozen croissants

4. frozen BABY peas. Now there's a trick to these too. You have to get the baby ones and you heat them in milk or half and half until just heated and serve immediately. These are last munute. If you do more than heat them, i.e. cook them, they lose their sweetness. add butter and a little salt.

These are all super easy and can be done quickly and with a babe in arms!

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I would love a copy of the drop-biscuit recipe, Sarah.

Yum!

Thanks,

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Servant2theKing wrote:
Potato Quiche

I would love to see a recipe for this!

~Laura in AZ
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Elizabeth wrote:
It was really lowkey but such good fellowship. We had such a wonderful time and all 12 kids were so happy that they didn't leave until 5:00 that evening!

The dear friend who sucked my into homeschooling invited me and the 4 kids over after daily mass one day. We had only spoken once or twice before. I was just going to pick up homeschool catalogs, but by the time I had followed her to her house, she had decided to invite us in for lunch. I will never forget that lunch. Grilled cheese sandwiches, fresh plums, Bugles, and juice, lots of good cheer and a set of arms to relieve me from holding the baby.

The food was totally unimportant. What really meant the most to me was that she invited us in. She warned me ahead of time about the state of the house; our shoes stuck to the floor, and her daughter swept breakfast off the table before we ate (tablecloths are so great). She has since showed off her culinary and housekeeping skills, but I cherish that day most of all.

A thought, AnaB, this friend ALWAYS invites the priest over after mass, especially the visiting ones. She says the visitors are always surprised to get an invitation, but they also usually come!

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2006 at 4:17am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Rachel's beautiful post is a reminder that the best recipe for hospitality comes from a heart disposed to welcoming others, as one would welcome Christ! A favorite quote hangs in our dining area; "Christ is the Head of this house, the unseen Guest at every meal; the silent Listener to every conversation." One way to grow in hospitality is to embrace each day as an opportunity to serve our family members, and others, as though doing all for the Lord. Externals like cooking and keeping our home are naturally more fruitful when being done as acts of service for the Lord. I've noticed through the years that the more I focus on serving God, and my family, other aspects of life seem to be less burdensome and I am more at peace, whether in the midst of order or chaos, and much better able to welcome others, as the Lord allows. Ana, you already have a heart for hospitality...may the Lord gently guide you as you do so in His Name!
Servant2theKing

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 26 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Thank you Servant, I appreciate the reminder. We have had alot more people over, probably 4-6 times a month at least, this year than any other year. It is such a blessing. I just wonder if there is any way I could work smarter. Sometimes I feel challenged in the practical areas of homemaking and cooking and I end up needing a day to recuperate after having people over, which takes away from school and my own home upkeep. I don't think it needs to be so draining, especially when I receive so much from the experience, but I don't know what/if I could do anything differently.

I guess I'm a visual learner. I've been praying for some Titus 2 women to show me the ins and outs of homemaking and managing a home better, so that I can work smarter. Still waiting (years). These women are hard to find! But it is comforting to see how God can use even me, as imperfect and disorganized as I am most of the time, to help those younger than me or just having their first babies.

I spent some time on the internet to see if there's a book out there that would be helpful for this type of hospitality--the kind that needs prep before and very little after church. Most people are home to prepare when they have company.   I found one or two books, but I'm not sure if they deal with that practical side of things.

I do appreciate all the recipes and suggestions and testimonies. BTW, my oven is very old and has spurts where it runs hotter than set, so I can't use the cook time setting on my oven--it's too unreliable, but it sounds wonderful to be able to do that!

I look forward to any more helps! Thank you much to those who have replied already.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version