Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: when do you clean? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote melanie

like bathrooms, floors, that kind of thing?

I've tried doing it all one day a week. I've tried dividing it up over the week. Frankly, neither one works very well. I'm just curious what works for other people.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I used to divide it up during the week, but I found it draining to be cleaning every day, and I was always dependent on naptimes, which are not super predictable around here for my baby! So once a week works for me.

I do most of it on Fridays, because I like a clean house for the weekend. The downstairs is done early in the day (6am), when my kids are still sleeping upstairs. I deep clean the kitchen, sweep and mop the hardwood floors, dust and vacuum, and clean the downstairs bathroom. I do as much of the upstairs as I can on Friday during naptime (I can usually do the dusting and bathrooms while the kids are resting without bothering them), and then I vacuum upstairs on Saturday, when my husband is home to watch the kids downstairs. (If I had older children, I would park the baby with them and vacuum Friday afternoon so it would all be done before the weekend hits.) If there are monthly cleaning projects that need to be done (deep scouring of the showers, for example), I also do that on Saturday when my husband is home. So I'd say it works out to about 1.5 hours on Friday and 1 hour on Saturdays usually. No matter what, the cleaning is done before Sunday morning.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote florasita

I like once per week but I am having to do this twice per week because of animals & allergies . I am so tired of fur around here !

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote melanie

Celeste,
This is really what I need to do I think, get up early on Saturdays or whatever and do what I can while the kids are sleeping in. But then I can't sleep in! Ah, self-discipline...never a strength for me. But it would make such a difference. What usually happens now, with our Saturday cleaning day, is this...I sleep in with the kids. We wake up and I have a long, lazy morning of coffee and catching up on the news and such. Eventually I get around to trying to clean, often around any other Saturday activities we have going on, and all the kids awake and mess-making around me (though the older two have Saturday cleaning chores to do as well)...I either give up and don't finish, or I'm working way late into the evening on Saturday. Not good.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

teach the older kids then you aren't the only one doing the jobs and they'll get done faster.

And they get done here when I must more or less I haven't found a good schedule so it's just when I look at ti and HAVE to get it done.. so then my motivation is high and I'll get the work done faster anyway.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

melanie wrote:
Celeste,
This is really what I need to do I think, get up early on Saturdays or whatever and do what I can while the kids are sleeping in. But then I can't sleep in! Ah, self-discipline...never a strength for me. But it would make such a difference.

Trust me, Melanie--I don't have much self-discipline either! I've actually started to enjoy my cleaning time since the house is fairly quiet and I can accomplish tasks in peace rather than having a bunch of little voices clamoring for me while I'm trying to get things done. That's the same reason I do the rest while my hubby is home--he is very good at keeping them completely occupied so that I can complete a chore from start to finish without interruption.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I don't clean.

I haven't figured out how?

I do try to pick the one thing (very hard to pick only one) that is bugging me each day and spend 15 minutes fixing/cleaning it.

And my automated helpers the Roomba and Scooba try to help with the floors. But someone needs to turn them on :)

I do need to get my kids to help more. It is so hard to keep them on task and reminded, I get tired. And then once they are "trained" and I try to work on something new, they "forget." Maybe I am asking too much of them.

I have found bathrooms easy to clean if I visit a different one each time I need a visit and do a little something like, wipe a sink, Clorox wipe the floor around the toilet, brush the bowl, or wipe the toilet, etc.
That about how it is here. I try.
Anne

Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Michiel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote Michiel

I was having the same questions earlier this year and asked a hs mother of 3. She said that she told her dh that he could have educated kids/clean underwear/dinner or he could have a regularly clean house.

I feel better about my lack of meeting my own standards now, and just try to do one thing per day, and make up on Saturday any days I wasn't able to get some cleaning chore done.

Michiel
Back to Top View Michiel's Profile Search for other posts by Michiel

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JodieLyn wrote:
teach the older kids then you aren't the only one doing the jobs and they'll get done faster.

This is what we do. I'm constantly asking myself if I'm doing a chore another member of the family is capable of.

Everyone does one "rotating chore" like you mentioned above, before breakfast and then in the evening. So far with 3 kids doing chores, that's 6 chores daily that my kids get done, that I/we don't have to do....that's 30 CHORES a week (M-F)!!

So, we do it a little each day. And, I probably do one or two things daily. And, then I do big cleaning projects when my mom visits 1-2 times/year.

When the kids were younger and couldn't help, I took a couple hours on Saturday, a couple times a month to clean while dh watched the kids or took them to the park.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

We do one big thing a day like dusting on Tuesdays, bathrooms on Wednesdays, laundry on M,TH,F, S and on Saturday we do everything (vacuum, mop, clean rooms, bathrooms, etc.) I also have a "zone" each day that I declutter and do those monthly, bimonthly jobs (like cleaning the fridge, microwave, dusting the fans, etc).

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote violingirl

I do weekly stuff on Saturdays. My kids are young and don't have activities that day, and my husband works at least until 1 or 2, so I spend the morning doing bathrooms, floors, and a bigger clean-up in the bedrooms than the daily tidy.

I used to divide it up to do a few tasks each day but it wasn't working with my work schedule (I start teaching students at 1 p.m. Monday-Friday). I felt like I was getting a very small amount of time with my kids in the mornings and was spending all that time cleaning instead. Now my daily stuff is done by 8 a.m. and I have the whole morning to do whatever we'd like. On Saturdays I'm done with chore stuff by the time my husband gets home, and we have the rest of the day together.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version