Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Skillet Meals - Homemade Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thursday night is going to be Skillet Night at our house. I'm looking for recipes that are quick, wholesome, and consist of a grain, protein, vegetable, and sauce.

Any favorite recipes?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

what's a skillet meal?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

My definition is a meal that is made in 1 skillet! I guess that these skillet meals are popular and found in the frozen food section, but they are pricey. For my purposes, for example, I make fried rice in a skillet so I count that as a skillet meal because is has a grain (rice), protein (usually chicken), vegetables, and sauce/seasoning. Because I want them to be quick, I'm leaning toward freezing some of the ingredients ahead of time (like cooked brown rice, browned meat, etc.) I'm also hoping to avoid "bland"...we like flavorful food    

Here's a skillet paella recipe I hope to try. I like the idea of using couscous to speed the process.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ah.. usually I only do that with leftovers.. but it works best if you plan to have leftovers.. like with..

hash.. cook up a big (or 2 small) beef or pork roast.. have your roast dinner the first night.. then with the leftovers you dice up potatoes and onions and carrots and fry those up, then once they've browned a bit, you add in the leftover roast diced up and heat it up.. and then you add in the leftover gravy and just heat it up and there's dinner.. I usually keep the gravy on the side since some of mine greatly prefer not to have it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

i make many, many "skillet meals."

but i don't have recipes...they are more of the "hmmmm, this will taste good," toss-it-in kind of deal....

brown up chopped meat (know what i use? i use Costco's brand frozen White Meat Turkey burgers.) i break it up as it defrosts/cooks in the pan.

one of my faves is to add broth, peas, and noodles (mini-pennes...)...

or, add broth, and a bunch of veggies, and viola - soup! or if i want it thicker - mix up some quick dumplings - this is dd7's fave.

or, add broth, make it into gravy - open faced sandwiches (one of my mom's favorite...)

i have a deep skillet - not huge (i think it is only a 10 or 12 inch) but it has higher sides & a see-through cover. that is what i made my pumpkin chili in even. i use it almost every day. (especially since i gave DD my crock pot. i am crock-pot-less right now and i miss my slowcooker sooooooo much.....)
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Awesome!

Mini-pennes sound good...I'm also looking at Orzo and other little noodles.

Laura, please tell me you have a dumpling recipe!

Thanks for the reminder about open faced sandwiches...what was the name of the cheese sauce that my mom used to pour over toast for my dad...that's it, Welsh Rarebit!

I'm pretty sure my skillet is the 12in deep dish, very nice for lots of food and it has the long handle on one side and the short handle on the opposite side.

(you are very generous to give your crock-pot away )

Love,

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Angie Mc wrote:

Laura, please tell me you have a dumpling recipe!

i have two.

lazy dumplings and Real Dumplings, "kluskies" as my Russian grandmother called them.

most nights i make lazy dumplings - which is Heartsmart Bisquick and milk. yep, that's it. i don't even measure, just eyeball it. it is very forgiving. i will usually toss in herbs or pepper because....i have to....but yep....that's it. when you drop them in make sure they go under before they pop back up out of the broth, 10 minutes cover off, 10 mins cover on, done.

like i said, lazy dumplings.

Real Dumplings, on the other hand, are what i make when i am making Real Soup (take notice of capital letters!) they are involved and have farina and eggs and all sorts of other yummy goodness, and always taste better when my mom makes them!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh I'm all about the lazy dumplings! Thanks. And...tell your mom to come and make Real Dumplings at my home whenever she wants to .

Dumplings got me thinking of mini gnocchi. Yum!

Thanks for brainstorming with me .

Love,

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Skillet Ham, Cabbage and Potatoes

Rustic Lemon Onion Chicken - I know I saw this posted here. Although the recipe calls for microwaved spinach, why wouldn't it be OK to wilt the spinach in the same pan as the chicken?

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

JennyM
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennyM

So, I don't know if this will fit in your 1 skillet plan, but I'll share because it's so yummy and pretty simple!

I got this from the back of the Trader Joe's quinoa box:

Garlic Chicken Stir Fry with Quinoa, Peppers, and Basil
serves 4

1 c quinoa, prepared according to package directions ***this is where I'm not sure if it would work to make it in the skillet and then add everything else- never thought to try :) ***

1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, cut into thin, 1 inch strips
4 T olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
20 leaves fresh basil (or more!), julienne
salt and pepper to taste

Heat skillet over high heat, add olive oil. Add chicken and saute until golden brown. Add onions, bell peppers; saute for 1 or 2 more minutes. Add garlic and saute until peppers become limp, but still bright. Remove from heat. Add cooked quinoa and basil. Toss until basil wilts. Can top with Parmesan cheese if desired.   

Enjoy! Perfect for all the fresh basil during the summer.

Back to Top View JennyM's Profile Search for other posts by JennyM

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

oooohh! i love getting new quinoa recipes!!!

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Ummm...will stir fry work? Chicken, veggies some soy sauce and sesame oil (Love that stuff) and some rice in the rice cooker for a quick clean up dinner.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Chicken with yellow rice is easy to make in a skillet.
Brown chicken (whole cut-up) in olive oil, add onions, peppers and garlic and fry a bit.
Add in 2 cups of rice and 4 cups water or chicken broth, and 2 yellow rice seasoning packets (Vigo or Goya are good). Cover and cook 20 mins or until all liquid is absorbed.
ETA: you can also add peas and olives to this recipe if you want.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Goodness, these all look sooooooooo goooooooooood!

cactus mouse wrote:
oooohh! i love getting new quinoa recipes!!!

Me too! One combo I like with quinoa is shrimp, feta, black olive (kalamata is best), fresh chopped tomato, and fresh or dried basil or other herb. Yum! If I cook the quinoa in a skillet and add the ingredients to the skillet, I can call this combo a skillet meal .

Thanks, all! Any other recipes or ideas?

Love,

JennyM
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote JennyM

Yum... that combo sounds great, Angie! I will have to try it.

Here's another I just thought of. Kind of a very simple paella.

From "Real Simple" magazine:

Spanish Chicken and Rice
serves 4

1 T olive oil
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 2 1/2 inch strips
1 medium onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 c dry white wine
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes, including liquid
1 c long grain white rice
1 c frozen peas
1/4 c Spanish olives, chopped (optional)

Heat skillet over medium heat, add oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown. Add onion and bell pepper, cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and liquid, rice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir peas into the mixture and cook, covered, until heated through.    

Note: I've never tried this, but they also suggest adding 1/4 tsp. saffron with the rice. And 5 minutes before it's finished cooking, stir in 3/4 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp.

Serve with olives if desired! Yum!
Back to Top View JennyM's Profile Search for other posts by JennyM

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote monique

My favorite is Chili Mac

Ground meat (I use buffalo) brown with onions and green chilis or green peppers. Drain. Add 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of drained kidney beans, 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni, chili powder and garlic salt to taste. I also add a little bit of water and then put the lid on it and cook for about 20 minutes.

You can add shredded cheese on top when finished cooking.

Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Not sure what to call my skillet meal:

Saute 1 onion in butter or olive oil

Add cabbage, one small cabbage cut up in bite sized pieces-saute that with onion

throw in smoked sausage or polish kielbasa, cut up in bite sized pieces

add a can or two of diced tomatoes

add a pound of cooked rotini

serve with parmesan cheese

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

how about a chop suey skillet?

stir-fry garlic and onion in a bit of oil. add whatever meat you like -- bits of chicken, tofu, pork and/or shrimp are usual choices (pre-marinated if you like --

tofu or pork marinade can be soy sauce-rice wine-honey-five spice powder-black pepper

shrimp or chicken marinade = cornstarch-rice wine-salt-a bit of sugar)

add veggies (bite sized broccoli, cauliflower, julienned carrots, cabbage, baby corn, green and red peppers, snow peas, green beans, etc.)

add pre-cooked rice (brown, white or combo) or pre-cooked noodles

plus

thickening sauce: cornstarch+soy sauce+ oyster sauce+a pinch of sugar+ chicken stock (just enough to coat everything lightly)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

Skillet Kielbasa
My recipe is exactly like this except I don't use spinach or baccon. Instead I follow the more traditional flavoring and add a packge (or can) of rinsed sauerkraut.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Potato-Kielbasa-Skillet.a spx
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

monique wrote:
My favorite is Chili Mac

Ground meat (I use buffalo)

what does buffalo taste like? (i know describing a taste is difficult...) is it gamey? or similar to beef? or...?

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version