Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Sunday Meal Planning esp Brunch Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Inspired by Keeping Sundays a Priority, our family has switched our main Sunday meal to Saturday night and on Sunday we have a self-serve brunch plus a second meal and dessert. So far we've had...

Main Meal:

slow cooker pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes + salad.

Greek Night - slow cooker greek chicken, pita, feta, cucumber sauce, hummus, kalamata olives.

Brunch:

Vanilla yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, hard-boiled eggs, muffins, juice, tea.

Other Meal:

Sandwiches, chips, soda, cole slaw

Dessert:

Pumpkin Pie
Gingerbread

I'm pretty good to go for the main meals, although I'm always open for suggestions . During the day on Sunday, I want the meals stream-lined but I don't want them to grow stale.

What are your favortie Sunday meal planning tips? What special foods do you only serve on Sunday? Is there a special symbolism to any of your choices (like ice cream sundaes)? Seasonal faves?

Thanks so much!

Love,    

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

On the menu for this weekend...

Main Meal:

slow cooker turkey breast, stuffing, cran sauce, mashed potatoes, veggie green

Brunch:

Savory pesto spread (from Costco), crackers, pumpkin spice quick bread, yogurt, fresh fruit, hard-boiled eggs, tea, pomegranate juice

Other Meal:

Sandwiches, pomegranate soda , apple chips, veggie tray

Dessert:

Not sure yet....

I found the IZZE pomegranate soda at Costco as well as a nicely priced Langers pomegranate juice.   

What's on your menu?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2011 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm bumping this topic because I'm eager to find fresh ideas for easy and ready-made Sunday brunch.

What do you keep in your pantry to serve for brunch?

What do you keep in your freezer?

What do you keep in your refrigerator?

Any 10 minute or less recipes?

How do you make plain food more special?

Thanks!

Love,

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2011 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

For Sunday brunch.. check out the Christmas breakfast threads.. alot of those are make ahead and then toss in the oven things.

For us.. breakfast meats are pretty limited so Sunday when dh is home is the main time we have those.. so pancakes and eggs with bacon or a hash brown casserole with sausage crumbled on top.. or french toast and sausage links or biscuits and sausage gravy..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2011 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and biscuits and gravy are easy to make ahead.. and then you just heat up the gravy and keep it warm in a crockpot.

It was a big hit at our Church potluck brunch.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2011 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

bagels with good toppings.. one of our favorite fancy bagels is a savory or plain bagel spread with cream cheese topped with shredded carrot, chopped green onions and chopped or sliced olives.. with a mustard dill sauce poured over the top.

Keep bagels in the freezer, cream cheese has a long refrigerator life, green onions and carrots.. mustard-dill sauce in the cupboard or fridge, canned olives.. set out bagels to thaw a day or two ahead.. all you have to do is set things out and chop green onions and shred carrots.. those are pretty quick.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You can dress up your hard boiled eggs by making deviled eggs, or an egg salad for spreading on crackers or breads

-Sir Walter Scott

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2011 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm reading with interest. By the time we get home from Mass, everyone is starving (Mass is at 11 and we don't get home until 12:30 ish.) No one wants to wait long enough for me to cook bacon and eggs or anything else that takes time, so we usually just pull out leftovers or make sandwiches. I would really like to make it more special, but I want to keep it simple so I'm not cooking all day and they aren't whining about how starving they are.

For special Sunday treats, we do stop on the way home after Mass and get doughnuts, as long as everyone behaved at Mass. It's easy now, because we almost always stop. It was really hard at first when we were training the kids to behave at Mass!!

After dinner on Sunday we always have icecream because Sunday is a feast day. We don't have icecream any other time (except maybe birthdays) so this is a special treat. I even had my ds turn down an offer to go somewhere with a friend on a Sunday evening because he would miss the icecream!

One thing I would like to do is have a Sunday afternoon tea time for the whole family. My kids always enjoy tea time during the week and they would love it on Sunday when my dh could take part too. I just haven't made it happen yet. I think, if I could make it work, it would be nice to come home from Mass and put a roast or something in the oven, then, instead of grabbing leftovers or making sandwiches, having a nice "tea", then eating an early dinner. I might have to wait until football season is over though. Sunday is also the time my dh and ds's enjoy watching football games together.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2011 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I've got more ideas than time right now! But one thought is crockpot oatmeal. Offer bowls of special toppings like coconut, walnuts, raisins, chopped fruit, brown sugar, etc. Maybe cinnamon and cream, whatever your family likes. Each makes their own bowl with their favorite toppings. Kids LOVE to add toppings!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 03 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

We do brunch every Sunday after Mass and it's usually the same thing each week:
-Cinnamon rolls (made but not risen and baked the night before)
-bacon or sausage
-scrambled eggs
-hash browns
-fruit salad

I used to vary the "sweet" up each week, like coffee cake or strudel, but everyone prefers the cinnamon rolls so I go with that.

Everyone eats a bowl of cereal in the early AM, then we go to 9 am Mass, and I prep brunch when we get home and usually eat around 11:30.
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version