Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: guns Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I am asking this question in relation to teen boys and guns. We have allowed our boys to get bb guns (when they were about 10) ,and they have been hunting twice. Now one teen son wants an airsoft gun. Are there any opinions out there on these? I hate all guns so I can make a good judgement and Dh hasn't given it much thought or research. Any thoughts on these and other types of play guns for teens (paint ball, etc) would be appreciated.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Lisa,

I only have a second, but our boys, ages 9 and up, all have bb, airsoft, paintball, and shotguns. They paintball many times a year, and airsoft when visiting family and when we were last on vacation. I've never been paintballing w/them, but I watched their airsoft 'wars' and they had SO much fun! They also target shoot at a local gun club. I grew up with guns and love to shoot myself. All kids 9 and up are required to take the gun safety course (required by us) offered by the DNR. My oldest son is the only one that has been into hunting so far.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote Jenny

My husband is a hunter so we have guns. From birth it seems, we begin teaching gun safety. When they are around 7-8, my dh takes them hunting with him if they want to. This is just to watch. Once the kids are 9, they take a hunter education safety course, again, if they want to. So far my oldest two girls have taken the class and passed.    My oldest daughter just went on her first "real" hunt (not just there to watch) and got her first deer. My husband will help them shoot at targets out back (we live on land), but it is always filled with safety information. We stress gun safety on a constant basis.

See if there is a gun club near you that teaches gun safety to young men. Or check into hunter education classes.

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My teen boys have airsoft guns. There are many options. I do not let them have the type powered with compressed air. These HURT! We have pump action shot guns and pistols. The automatic rifle type waste so many pellets and have little accuracy. Mostly point and spray.

I don't care for them, and have firm rules about them. But the boys LOVE them. Last week between my neighbor and I, we had 40 boys over for a war.

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

My boys HAVE taken hunter safety classes since they hunt. I just don't like that they look so real.( the airsoft guns) LeeAnn, would you mind sharing your rules?

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

my DH was an avid paintball player growing up, and i know if any of the kids show interest, he will be more than happy to do that with them.

as a family, we have issues with hunting, so that is not something that would come up for us.

also - my daddy was a cop - so i don't have any strong feelings against guns, if used with proper training and responsibly.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

wow - this thread makes my head spin! It is such a different window for me to peep through, as in the UK it is very different. I grew up in the country in the 70s/80s, and only knew a couple of people who had guns which they hunted duck with or rabbits. In our culture and with our opinions, our children will never have guns, so it fascinating to read about other families who do - gosh! I'd just love to come and watch how this plays out in your homes!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Lucy - I'm confused - what do you mean by 'how this plays out in your homes'?    Guns (in the US) are a Constitutional right - for protection or pleasure. That's how it plays out in our home - protection and pleasure.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Lisbet wrote:
Lucy - I'm confused - what do you mean by 'how this plays out in your homes'?    Guns (in the US) are a Constitutional right - for protection or pleasure. That's how it plays out in our home - protection and pleasure.

it isn't always quite so simple as that, tho. i mean, there is a large expanse on opinions on what rules and regulations there should/shouldn't be...

i was a lot less opinionated in my answer in my post than i really am about it ( ) because i judged the climate of the board and figured that was the way to go.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I have always been leery about guns because my oldest has such an impulse issue but I took a gun class. I feel much better about them and do own my own handgun and will get a concealed license as soon as I am able. And, it's for protection mainly and pleasure (I love to go to the range).

As for boys, I know my son will eventually (and definitely my girls) take a gun safety class. My husband will also work with him on gun safety and drill it into him.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

There are a wide variety of opinions and ways to go about dealing with guns in the home.

But I'm sure when it's not really much of an option at all it's sounds pretty weird and exotic to hear about people using them like another "toy" (albeit one with strict rules and safety standards).

I'm not sure but sometimes I think people come up with a stereotype of - if you have guns that they're left sitting out loaded and cocked and ignored so that babies can play with them ok that's probably extreme but I've heard people talk about them like that's what's happening.

When you live in an area that hunting is a reasonable thing (wildlife managment depends on it in areas where the natural predators are scarce) people treat it as just another thing you might do.. on the more dangerous side.. but rock climbing or downhill skiing might be seen as the same. Oh yes, downhill skiing is a great example. It's dangerous. People get hurt all the time. But mostly if you follow simple rules and are careful and not foolhardy it's reasonably safe to pursue even for younger children. But you don't just hand them the equipment and send them off. You teach them, you train them and you pull priveledges if there's the least variation into the grey area between safe and unsafe. In the home, guns are put away and children are kept safe from them, but not only are they put away, the children are taught not to use them.. they're not unfamiliar.. it's more like teaching your kids not to play with kitchen knives. When they're taught proper use and safety, they're not near as likely to use them foolishly. Which is the other stereotype about having guns in the home.. that to be safe they're hidden and locked away so that the kids hardly catch a glimpse and then of course you know because of that the kids will peek and play with them because they're "forbidden fruit" when it's really neither extreme stereotype.. but just a regular part of life like kitchen knives.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

cactus mouse wrote:
i was a lot less opinionated in my answer in my post than i really am about it ( ) because i judged the climate of the board and figured that was the way to go.

Thank you, Laura.

I'm certain that on this subject there are a variety of opinions, some of them even quite passionate opinions. We can say that in the United States, the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution guarantees our right to keep and bear arms. Beyond that, gun ownership is an issue of prudence for each family. I think we can continue this discussion fruitfully by offering observations and experiences on gun safety and teen boys and "play guns" (paintball, air soft) as the OP was originally asking about.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

Lisa, as we live in the great state of Idaho, (avid hunters and pro 2nd Amnd.)my husband is looking into getting a gun. My dh and ds will go to the shooting range where it is more controlled and safe. Could your sons take a safety class and only shoot in a more restricted/safer environment?

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Whoops! I sort of had instant commenter's regret when I clicked on post reply - I wasn't passing a judgement. Just eaves-dropping on a conversation that doesn't concern me because it feels so strange to me, like really young kids driving in the states, just something outside my experience, and I wonder how it works and how it would be if we lived there. I just wrote and deleted two comments trying to explain, but will instead apologise to the OP for commenting on her thread out of mere curiousity.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Lucy, no apologies necessary. I can get really cranked up about this 'issue', because as an American citizen, I see it as a 'non issue'. :)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

LLMom wrote:
LeeAnn, would you mind sharing your rules?

My boys are scouts and in the JROTC so have had gun saffety classes, if not, that would have been a requirement. Airsoft guns are GUNS, they project a sphere at high speed under pressure. Not lethal pressure, but injury will occur if mishandled.

1. The guns are locked in my closet, unloaded, when not in use. They only be removed with express permission.

2. Full body protection is used when the guns are out, especially eye protection.

3. The guns are not out when children under the age of 8 are around. If a child wanders outside during a "war" firing stops immediately.

4. The guns do not leave our back yard. If I give permission for the guns to be brought to a friends, they are transported in a closed bag in the trunk. (I have driving teens, I wouldn't want them pulled over with an airsoft pistol on the front seat!)

4. They must pay for the pellets out of their own money.

5. No high powered rifles. These hurt!

6. Absolutely no firing at animals. A neighbor does a lot. My boys at first thought it was cool, then decided it was just torture.

Breaking the rules means losing the guns indefinitely

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 4:10am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

soooo glad for this thread. i am an ABSOLUTELY-NO-GUNS person, in fact, i made my dh get rid of his BB when we got married. poor guy. now my boys are scouts and ds-13 just got back from rifle and shotgun outing. they definitely want guns.    all we have right now are made-up guns, thank goodness but i'll be sure to show this thread to dh for when "the time is right". yikes! dreading it already, but grateful for all the help here. you moms are just wonderful.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I have always been a no-guns person too....but then I had boys who wanted them and my dad is a hunter. It is an issue I have had to let go and one I don't really "get" from their perspective. What is the thrill?!!

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

There are air-soft pistols or rifles made of clear plastic, which ensures that there is no mistaking them for real guns. All air soft or toy guns should have orange plastic tips, to further distinguish them from real guns.

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Servant2theKing wrote:
There are air-soft pistols or rifles made of clear plastic, which ensures that there is no mistaking them for real guns. All air soft or toy guns should have orange plastic tips, to further distinguish them from real guns.

This is what we decided to let him get. He also, on his own, did a gun safety course for his younger siblings.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version