Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Am I the only one who lets their baby fall asleep in the swing and let it swing while they sleep? B/c if I don't, they wake up? Are there any problems that can occur if they swing that much? He's not always in a swing, but a lot of the time he is for his naps.

edited: rest of post deleted

"Live as though your judge were to meet you today, and you will not fear Him when He does come." - St. Augustine
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

You're not the only one who does this... My swing has a recline position, so I feel that the baby's pretty comfortable.
I think I'd be inclined to 'agree to disagree' on this issue...and don't feel bad about it!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well actually I've found the opposite.. that it was the BEST THING for my son's tummy.. it was either that or constantly walking in a forward movement while holding him (none of the other movements worked.. swaying or dancing or such). Some babies love the swing, some don't. If it was upsetting his tummy he would let you know.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

if we had not let my ds sleep in the swing as a baby, DH and i would have never slept at all. it was a godsend.

i would just do the "nod and smile" or thank him for his concern, and do it your way anyway.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

cactus mouse wrote:

i would just do the "nod and smile"

This is where I really like the penguin quote from the movie Madagascar...

"Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave"

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

My 3rd slept in her swing for nine MONTHS...morning, noon and night! That was the ONLY place she would sleep and I think the reclined position helped w/ her spit up/reflux. Have you ever tried laying flat on your back w/ an upset tummy? It doesn't really help.

I really started panicking about what to do when she outgrew the swing but at 26 months now, she's slept in her crib ever since so I say go for it. I can appreciate your dad's position (and your frustration) but sometimes a nice "uh huh, hmmm...okaaay" or even a short "okay" for future references is all you need to say...esp. if he's only visiting on occasion and not involved in your day-to-day life.

Best,

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Oh and also, when she was in the swing, it was swinging... for nine MONTHS...again, morning, noon, and night. You wouldn't believe how many batteries we went through.   

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I think sometimes our parents forget what it was like "in the trenches" with these little ones. My mom was very upset with me when I had my 3rd child because I did not bathe him every day. Even the pediatrician told me not to because of the baby's dry skin. For some reason my mom just thought that was awful and couldn't believe I wouldn't give him a nightly bath. It's different from what she was told years ago so it's hard for her to understand it.
I've heard older folks talk about how terrible it is that "these moms wear their babies"! How crazy is that?! But, because it's different from what they knew, they think it can't be right.
All this just to say I agree with Kathryn, Laura and Jodie. Just say something like "Ohh, that's interesting" then smile and wave! They don't mean any harm, I think they just really are concerned about the baby and don't understand these "new fangled" ways of doing things.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

Smile, wave and nod. Parenting debates (especially with one's own parents) are rarely if ever productive.

FWIW, I imagine swinging feels a lot like being in mama's womb and being still is very foreign. I don't know about you but in utero both my boys got more active when I was still, and still when I was active. I think it took mine about 9 months to totally make the switch. To do so abruptly would have been like stepping off a ship that's been in a hurricane onto dry land--for my tiny baby. Blech.
Back to Top View SusanMc's Profile Search for other posts by SusanMc

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

A dear friend has a stock phrase for moments like these - "Thank you for bringing that to my attention." Then, he changes the subject.

Hugs from another swing-user!

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 3:23am | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

Syncletica wrote:
"... A baby will sleep when he's tired. If he wakes up, he's not tired!"

ummm ... all due respect to your dad and all, but WHAT THE HECK? how long ago was he raising young children, or were you all perfect angels who never got overtired?

wow, is all I can say. (oh, and ditto to all the good advice already given here.)

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

hehe...
Well, I've had one baby, my current youngest, who slept nicely when you laid her down to sleep. I spent the first three months wondering what was wrong with her. The others....they slept in the swing or on the breast, period. My biggest drawback has been what to do when they outgrow the swing. For that reason, I *tried* not to use it as too much of a crutch. But like I said, that only worked with my youngest! I guess it all worked out in the end. They all eventually learned to sleep lying down.

FWIW, I used to be a pediatric nurse...if anything, sleeping semi-upright is a good thing for baby's bellies...keeps them from refluxing.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version