Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Warmth in Winter (Skirts especially) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I found this thread in a search because I was pretty sure this topic had been discussed before.

But, wow, it was 13 pages!!! So, I thought I'd start a new thread for this season since we ladies do seem to be rather chatty about our seasonal garb as of late

Yesterday, I bought my oldest some thermal winter long johns for pajamas since all of a sudden, he has no winter pajamas that fit. Well, he decided to wear them under his clothes to stay warm in our chilly house (it really would be giving in to turn the heat on in October, right?).

So, as I was getting dressed, the idea of taking off my warm flannel nightgown to put on cold clothes seemed tortuous--so, inspired by the wisdom of my 5 year old, I put my clothes (skirt and polar fleece top) on over my nightgown. SO toasty warm! It might be a little bulky for wearing outside the house, and it certainly wouldn't work with a more tailored top, but for around the house, it is nice so far!

I almost bought some satin backed flannel to make a slip a month ago. I'm glad to see from the tail of that long thread that it works. Has anyone done this and have a technique, a tutorial, or troubleshooting tips to share?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I haven't made one but I have sewed enough.. I would use the flannel below a yoke of some type made out of a thinner material.. maybe even fitted or at least stretchy so that you don't have a lot of extra bulk at your waist or hips especially since you also have the overlap of tops and skirts there anyway.

though if it's fitted you could use the flannel too.. mostly I was thinking use a thinner stretchy fabric for the top so I wouldnt' have to make it fitted and would be able to use it if I got pregnant (most of my clothes can be used at least for a time while pregnant)

I do enjoy wearing my skirts in winter though. I stay warmer..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Another idea that works really well is using a thin knit skirt as a slip. I found a fabulous black cashmere and silk skirt at Goodwill...it was soooooo cozy and soft that I decided I just had to buy it and find some use for it later, in spite of the fact that it was much more clingy than I like and much, much too long...besides, it was half-price, so I couldn't go wrong! Yesterday, I needed something warm to wear beneath a skirt, when I planned to be outdoors for quite awhile in rather nippy weather...I pulled out that wondrous cashmere and silk skirt...I wore it like a tank dress underneath a moleskin top and skirt (it's really THAT long), then I added my favorite ultra-thin long underwear...I was toasty warm, in spite of wearing a coat that was really not quite adequate for the weather. I also have a couple spandex skirts that I wear as slips which give excellent warmer coverage when the weather turns chilly! One of the things I actually enjoy about colder weather is bundling up in cozy layers!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I used to have a flannel slip (I made it). It was super cozy and warm, but it added several inches to my hips. I don't want to go that route again. Right now I'm considering legwarmers on top of tights. I'm also knocking around the idea of cotton leggings, which apparently have "come back in" since the 80's. I don't know if they would be warmer than tights, but it seems like they wouldn't look too weird and they are generally quite fitted at the hips. Legwarmers could be used over them as well, I think.

I am keeping my eye out for fuller skirts in heavier fabrics, because I think that makes a difference, too. It seems like the trend lately is more straight skirts, which are brrrrrrrrrrr...c-o-l-d in the dead of winter, imho.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I wear leggings and big fuzzy socks and knit skirts and big sweaters and am warmer than if I wore jeans. (In upstate New York this is saying something, I think.)

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

I wear the cotton/poly long johns (top & bottom) from Walmart under my skirts & tops as early as September. I was wearing cotton leggings for years & when I switched to the poly ones the difference was astounding. On the days I head out I add a satin-flannel backed slip that I made per Michele Q's suggestion. I usually wear 3 layers on top - long johns, turtleneck & sweater. If it's really chilly (yes, in the house), I add a polyfil vest (from Walmart). I also have some Merrill fur-lined clogs & fleece socks.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

CrunchyMom wrote:

I almost bought some satin backed flannel to make a slip a month ago. I'm glad to see from the tail of that long thread that it works. Has anyone done this and have a technique, a tutorial, or troubleshooting tips to share?

Lindsay,

The best method I have found for satin backed flannel slips is to make them bias cut. They skim the body and don't add bulk but DO add warmth.

Here's a good tutorial for a bias skirt --works for a slip too of course. :
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-bias-cut-skirt -with-wide-stretch-wai/

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Great tutorial Michele! I love bias skirts (made the slip on the bias, of course) & just made & sent my friend who's pregnant a paper pattern. Now I can send her this tutorial.

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Where do you all buy the satin-backed flannel? Is this something you can usually find at a local fabric store, or do you order online?

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

organiclilac wrote:
Where do you all buy the satin-backed flannel? Is this something you can usually find at a local fabric store, or do you order online?

If you have a local JoAnn Fabrics you can find it there. I usually stock up when it's on sale. It makes great pj's too!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

flannel backed satin at Joann's online

I had to go find it to know what the cost was.

What color do you recommend for a slip? do you usually use a dark color because most winter skirts are darker or do you go with a light color so that it can be used with any skirt or??

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm also looking for an alternative slip for the winter. I might look into the slip/skirt tutorial. Thanks for adding that!

I wear lightweight silk long underwear under my skirts and over tights on really cold days. It's super warm!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote Chari

As I read this, I am sitting in a flannel-lined denim skirt by Eddie Bauer I got for 4 bucks at a thrift store...with my leggings underneath....I wear it to all of the cold soccer games........I am never cold

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Chari, that's what I would wear to soccer games (and lacrosse games) - flannel lined denim skirts And I use silk long underwear like Jennifer.. but rather than tights.. I wear smartwool kneehigh socks.. I can stay warm in those even without my kneehigh warm lined boots

-Sir Walter Scott

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version