Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: potty difficulities Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MindyG
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote MindyG

Hi,

I'm sorry to bring up such an unpleasant topic, but my dd2 yrs needs some help!

For months I thought my daughter was constipated, but it has been clear for a couple of months now that it is not constipation, she is just deliberately withholding her stool.

The situation has become very unpleasant and I feel I've tried quite a bit. She becomes miserable and very difficult to deal with as time goes on. Usually she will only have a bm about every 3 to 5 days. When she actually "goes" it seems effortless (and it usually happens when she is suddenly distracted by something). Otherwise she spends 1 to 3 days dancing around and trying visibly as hard as she can to hold it in and being very whiny.

She's adverse to sitting on the potty and has been refusing liquids including juice and fruits that normally help her (and that she used to love, until I started pushing her to eat more...). We don't eat junk food and I've scaled back on dairy, so I really think her diet is fine. The stools are always soft enough. The problem truly is her behavior.

We saw her ped though, and his only suggestions were diet control (no help) and 1 tbsp of mineral oil. I have been giving her a tsp of flax oil. Dr. Sears recommends flax oil over mineral oil, but I'm not sure 1 tbsp is safe. Any one else know? And any other suggestions?

I've tried suppositories - didn't help and now she hates to have her diaper changed and fights me about it. A friend suggested using milk of magnesia (worked with her daughter), but the directions say to drink 8 oz of water with it, and I don't think I can convince her to drink that much.

My last conversation with the nurse at my ped's office was to make drinking a disciplinary issue - she has to drink this or that or be punished somehow. I think that is ridiculous with a 2 year old.   

I'd be grateful for any insights you may have,

Mindy
Back to Top View MindyG's Profile Search for other posts by MindyG

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It may be an emotional issue over a physical one.. if that's the case then all these meds and things probably won't help. I have a friend say that one of the Bach Flower Remedies (like a homeopathic) worked well.. I'm thinking it was black walnut but you'd want to check what each is for to know for sure.

I haven't used the single flower specific rememdies but I have used the Rescue Remedy and it really helps.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

here's the link to the home page for Bach Flower Remedies

and it looks like walnut is what helps with transitions

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I am sorry you have to deal with this. But it is common at this age. I'd say to not make a big deal of it all and she will figure it out. She is doing what 2 year olds do.
I agree that what the pedi nurse said is a little ridiculous.
Some ideas:
Leave sippy cups out with liquids she likes (sorry if you just gave the cups up, I just can't see spills right now ). Encourage eating within meal and snack times, foods good for moving things along. No pressure. She is not going to starve herself.
Set up a "routine" for relaxing and not letting her know you are encouraging the BM. Curl up with a book or video at a certain time of the day--if she is still in diapers. Or if movement works, play tag and allow some relax time for her to go behind that favorite chair for privacy. You know how she works. I would try to encourage that "diversion BM".
You might consider going backwards if she is potty trained.
I wouldn't want her to know what you are doing but work with her to being healthy-if ya know what I mean.
Just some ideas. Take them for what they are worth. I usually go with the kid a little and work with them on these types of issues. Give them a little control and it works out in the end. There really isn't much you can do when it comes to this type of stuff. She is not going to go to college with this issue. They do have the control over some things as my old doc said :)
Did anything change in the household? Move, baby, guests, anything off routine? That might give you a key as to what you can do to help her through and get things back on track.
My story with these types of issues, to make you feel better , my ds took until 5-ish to fully potty train. He had #1 pretty well down for years, but #2, was a battle. It had something to do with his uncomfortableness with BM's and his milk allergy. A dear friend mentioned just putting a diaper on him and sitting him on the toilet for BM with diaper on. I carried a diaper around for BM's for about 2-3 years! He truly had a hard time with it when 3-ish. I went back to my dear friend and said, "OK, we're on the pot, with a diaper and in underwear the rest of the time. Suggestions for getting rid of the diaper?" She told me to cut a hole in the diaper so he could get the falling out sensation. Ever tried to cut a hole in a disposable diaper? Quite humorous and I have been giving her a hard time since. But, we worked with it when he was 5-ish and able to communicate well and reason, and we got through it.
Way more than you needed to know I guess.
Hope something there helps.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Instead of disciplining her for not going make a big deal out of her going #2? Act really excited about it and give her a special treat making sure she knows it's because she went?

Every time she doesn't go #2 act disappointed, I would say, "Oh rats, Susie! I thought you went poopie this time! Maybe next time and then we can have M&M's! Good job going #1" or whatever you call it.

Good luck!

MindyG
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote MindyG

Thank you for your replies!

I think the problem started when I weaned her...can't reverse that one unfortunately :) She handled it very well, but I think that nursing was a large part of her liquid intake and she really doesn't like to drink much. But even so, I know I mentioned above that her stools are fine.

The problem really is that instead of relaxing and pottying, when she gets the feeling to go, she has developed the reaction of holding on and not going. I really don't think that she is aware that she is "trying not" to poop. I think it just a reaction that she has, that has now become a habit.

Anyway, if anyone else has an idea, I'm happy to hear it :) Thanks again ladies!
Back to Top View MindyG's Profile Search for other posts by MindyG

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

MindyG wrote:
Thank you for your replies!

I think the problem started when I weaned her...can't reverse that one unfortunately :) She handled it very well, but I think that nursing was a large part of her liquid intake and she really doesn't like to drink much. But even so, I know I mentioned above that her stools are fine.

) Thanks again ladies!

Ah, yes. I remember weaning my dd at 4(It just happened that way ) and my being so uncomfortable for a week after. I was sure she wasn't getting anything, or much-HA!!
And reading your thoughts brought back a small memory of my dd having a little problem/difficulty with BM after weaning. Not as big a deal. Maybe a week of not being "right."
Anyhow, breast milk is good for moving things along so maybe she just needs to figure it out? A bm feels a little different to her?
You both will figure it out I am sure. Hang in there!
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

My mom would stick me in a warm bath and then leave the room. She said very quickly she would hear me jump out of the tub and get on the potty. Of course, I wouldn't recommend leaving a 2yo alone in the bath, but perhaps you could put her in the bath and sit there and read a magazine or something and pay no attention to her. It might be just enough to relax her.
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version