Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Skirt Shopping! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

While Susan has the Shoe-Shoppers busily searching for the perfect shoe and boot, , we might as well head out for some Winter Skirt Shopping!!!! The thrift stores aren't yielding my usual succesful results this year, and a couple of my winter skirts are looking pretty ragged. I feel like I've pretty much been all over Seattle and nary a practical, winter, longish skirt is to be found. So, now I'm scouring the internet.

Anyone shopping for skirts? Links? Stores? Successes? Frustrations?   HIT ME WITH 'EM ALL!!!!!!

Here are some random ones I've come across:
Christa Taylor
Denim Skirt at Chadwicks
A-line skirts at Hannah Lise
Cabi Skirts on Ebay. These are Clothing-versions of Tupperware parties, and their clothes are lovely. I have a neighbor who is a consultant and I sometimes get a couple things from her "sample sale" later in the season. There is a good selection of past years clothing on ebay. Love shopping for clothes on ebay, cuz they give you EXACT measurements.
Cute ones here
Triangle Modest Skirt
Lands End Necessary Knit
Custom Made Bliss Skirt on Etsy. $$$$ but so CUTE!
Denim Paneled Skirt at Christopher-Banks. This is a PERFECT SKIRT!!! Plus I have a $20 gift cert. and a $10 coupon!!!!   But there is no more in my size ANYWHERE in the country!
Patch Pocket Skirt from CB--NOT for those of us with hips!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Suzanne, I love that denim skirt from Chadwick's...just what I've been looking for! I found this basic skirt only $19! at http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Stretch-ponte-knit-women s-plus-size-skirt-by-Chelsea-Studio.aspx?PfId=110050&DeptId= 11571&ProductTypeId=1
Here's a more expensive black and white tweed boot skirt. This one actually has a cute jacket that matches it. Both the skirt and jacket are currently on backorder...but I can wait!!
They also had a nice-looking, somewhat straight-styled long denim skirt for those more slender gals!
I love skirts!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

What size Suzanne? if you don't mind saying? and how long of skirt? do you know offhand the length you like?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

And on that one skirt.. know anyone who could take it in on the sides.. it's probably short enough that if you went up a size that's all you'd need to do.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

My "favoritest" place for skirt shopping - thanks to Jodie - is Coldwater Creek outlet - I got a bunch of the most amazing petite long skirts at very greatly reduced prices. My dd loves them too and is always trying to wear them too. (I think I will shop for her too here) - They are so elegant and wonderful quality. Now if only they had nice tops on good offers ....

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:

Denim Paneled Skirt at Christopher-Banks. This is a PERFECT SKIRT!!! Plus I have a $20 gift cert. and a $10 coupon!!!!   But there is no more in my size ANYWHERE in the country!

JodieLyn wrote:
And on that one skirt.. know anyone who could take it in on the sides.. it's probably short enough that if you went up a size that's all you'd need to do.

That's just what I was coming to suggest!! As long as they have a size bigger - order it and put a couple of darts along the back. I do this all the time in skirts for myself and my oldest dd who is VERY thin and VERY tall. If there are built in darts I can usually follow those, if there aren't darts, I just add my own. The only challenge will be the weight of the denim - you might need an extra heavy duty needle....and lots of patience!

I LOVE those denim skirts at Chadwicks! And, my Cabi skirts just came in and I LOVE them! But, I'll pass along the hint you shared with me about them...they run VERY big! So, order at least a size down from what you normally wear! I didn't on one, and I'm going to add a couple of darts in it this afternoon!

Those are some AWESOME skirt links up there!!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

i need to go shopping for skirts too. went to the Goodwill near us last night and found nothing. well, okay, there were some okay ones but i want thick but not bulky, long but not matronly and flowy but not tent-like.   with my pickiness you'd think i'd know where to shop

i did find this link -- found some nice ones but i don't know yet if they'll be thick enough for winter. maybe i'll buy a couple and wear jammies underneath

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

you could also see if you could find a lightweight flannel skirt to wear as a slip.. someone around here recommends satin and flannel so that the flannel is against your legs and the satin slides against the skirt you're wearing.

I like silk long undies under my skirts when it's cold.. but if I'll be out in the cold I also choose my flannel lined denim skirt.

I like corduroy as well for winter skirts.. I have one skirt I love in corduroy.. and I may make a pattern off of it rather than trying to find another like it.

-Sir Walter Scott

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Low the Christopher and Banks skirt. Their clothes are just lovely. Has anyone ordered from Marmee dear before? I feel weird doing a "custom made to fit" order, but that denim triangle skirt looks nice.

It seems like the thrift stores mostly have straight skirts lately. I have enough of those. I need A line skirts that I can really move around in. Plus, I like the swish swish effect with cute tights and shoes at the ankle line. I haven't even seen anything all that interesting at Modestworld or Tznius, lately.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

These shopping threads are deadly. Now I want two pairs of shoes, a pair of boots, and that black and white tweed skirt. Gorgeous. My black Sunday skirt is really looking tired lately. And I actually have occasion to wear a suit somewhat often and I would love a classic long skirt suit. That matching jacket is so cute. I'm a little chagrined, actually, to find that I can shop on a plus-size website But the clothes are beautiful.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

plus sizes are not only about being big.. I shop at woman within all the time.. but about your build.. tops from plus sized stores often have more room in the bust for instance without the shoulder seams hanging down your arms when the bust is big enough.. and that can be a problem even when you're otherwise reasonably thin.

But the point is that it's partly how the clothes are designed not strictly being "large".

-Sir Walter Scott

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

That's a good point, Jodie. Actually, looking at the size chart I realized that these clothes would have fit me better even in my thinner days. I am a very distinct pear-shape even at a healthy weight.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I recently bought this skirt from Chadwicks. When I bought it, I had a 40% off code. They run these fairly regularly so check often. I rarely pay full amount for their stuff. The skirt did fit a bit big even though I measured. But better big than too small.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My favorite place to shop for skirts is Sundance Catalog's Outlet section skirts and dresses. I have several (most of my skirts I wear daily) I have picked up for $20-25 a piece when I catch a good sale. I wish I could wear dresses, but as long as I am nursing, it is tricky, but I am positively drooling over this amazing price on the Modern Meadow Dress which buttons and is available in my size. What a deal!

I also really like the long, black knit skirt from Soft Surroundings I got for Christmas. Both SS and Garnet Hill have beautiful long skirts, but the prices are such that I wait for sales.

For some reason, Sundance isn't working for me in Firefox today; so, if it doesn't work, just open the link in IE.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Drooling right along with you. That is a great dress--and a great price! I'm sometimes tempted to get button-up dresses but I'm never sure I'll figure out how to nurse in them without it becoming a huge production. Any tips?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SusanJ wrote:
Drooling right along with you. That is a great dress--and a great price! I'm sometimes tempted to get button-up dresses but I'm never sure I'll figure out how to nurse in them without it becoming a huge production. Any tips?

A cardigan. That's all I've figured out. I bought a shortsleeve sweater on clearance at Talbots. They gave me a $5 giftcard for TRYING ON PANTS! I don't wear pants, but I tried them on nonetheless and got paid, lol. So, the sweater ended up being $12!

Anyway, I wore these dresses I' haven't worn in years for the last few weeks of summer because I could button up the cardigan and unfasten the dress and just pull up the cardigan as if I were nursing in a sweater and skirt. Not quite so easy as simply nursing in a sweater and skirt, but I got to wear a dress!

I also have this great denim dress my sister got me for Christmas a few years back. It looks great--until it comes unbuttoned all the way up. That dress is a completely different style and not made of stretch denim, but I'm scared to death to buy another button front dress for fear I will look undressed This isn't even from nursing since the problem is usually from the bottom up, though, I'm sure that squirmy toddlers and toting babies contributes. I keep holding onto it thinking I will sew hooks or hook tape in or something, but I haven't yet.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lindsay.. skip the hooks.. just sew the skirt closed up to the waist (well one button below the waist so you can still get it on.

I do this with most of my button up skirts.. I love the way they look but baby toes tend to slip between the buttons and get tangles or are COLD or cause the buttons to undo. don't take off the buttons.. just button it up and sew on either side of hte placket.. and you can either stop at the last button on the bottom or close it clear to the hem.

And if the problem is just that the buttons are too loose.. a couple of stitches to tighten up the buttonholes would do the trick.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and some other options besides the cardigan (I like that one!) but..

wearing a camisole will keep you covered even with the dress unbuttoned..

a sling baby carrier can make a nice full cover..

a pashmina, wear it anyway you like but when you want to nurse wear it draped across your front with the ends down your back.. with any luck you can sit on the ends

a poncho.. I'm not sure if they're still in fashion or not.. but you could even make one simply enough and our of heavier or lighter fabric.

They make actually nursing covers with various names..

-Sir Walter Scott

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Jodie~
I wear anything from a size 6-12.

I'm totally in love with this Carnegie Skirt from Sundance!!!!!!!! (where are the dreamy-swooning-eyes emoticon when you need it?)

Mackfam wrote:
And, my Cabi skirts just came in and I LOVE them! But, I'll pass along the hint you shared with me about them...they run VERY big! So, order at least a size down from what you normally wear!
And, probably even 2-3 sizes down depending on your body shape. My brown cord skirt is a size 2 which is completely ridiculous! Go by the measurements on the ebay listings...pay NO ATTENTION to the sizes.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote anniemm

CrunchyMom wrote:
My favorite place to shop for skirts is Sundance Catalog's Outlet section skirts and dresses. I have several (most of my skirts I wear daily) I have picked up for $20-25 a piece when I catch a good sale. I wish I could wear dresses, but as long as I am nursing, it is tricky, but I am positively drooling over this amazing price on the Modern Meadow Dress which buttons and is available in my size. What a deal!

I also really like the long, black knit skirt from Soft Surroundings I got for Christmas. Both SS and Garnet Hill have beautiful long skirts, but the prices are such that I wait for sales.

For some reason, Sundance isn't working for me in Firefox today; so, if it doesn't work, just open the link in IE.

I love the Sundance outlet! I have the Meadow dress and it is SO cute and easy to nurse in! The buttons go down really low, making it very easy.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version