Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Clutter questions- magazines Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Do you keep your magazines? I seem to have some phobia about getting rid of magazines but to my defence I do have one copy box of Martha Stewarts that I still regularly use.

Do you keep magazines? Do you clip and save only a few things? If you keep whole magaiznes where do you keep them and for how long???

I love getting magazines - but it's getting a little silly around here. It's a definate clutter problem.

How many different subscriptions do you have currently?

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I have had to let things go. I usually tear out pages that are interesting. Usually, I end up throwing those away after a few months. It's helped me in letting go of magazines.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We were on a super-tight budget last year and are slowly re-subscribing to a few things.

We get three kids' magazines from grandparents: Click, Zoobooks and something else in the Cricket family (TBD). We only keep the current issues of Click but we don't tell the kids that Zoobooks is a new subscription. I think we'll keep those--I think they run on a three or four-year cycle and you can get the whole set and pretty much be done? That's what dh remembers and they are really well-done.

We will soon be getting National Review and City Journal. The former we only keep the current issue, the latter I expect we'll keep most if not all as it is published less-frequently. We have subscribed to First Things on and off and we usually kept that for awhile but I don't think we have any copies on hand right now so I guess those didn't last through a move!

I get Saveur which I think is just the best food magazine ever. It's like National Geographic from the perspective of food with great writing, great photography, and some recipes. I keep all of those for now. I will probably weed them a bit once a few more years have built up and get rid of copies I haven't ever referred back to.

With other food magazines I would keep about a year's worth and then just rip out recipes I wanted before tossing them. I would also go through and remove all pages that were ads on both sides which made the magazine thinner and also convinced me to discontinue a few subscriptions.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I have a problem with saving magazines, too. (Well, I have a problem throwing anything away I might want later...) And the clutter can be an issue, though I have some shelving in the basement for this purpose. In my defense I really only save those that have crafts/activities, like Family Fun and Rubber Stamping magazine. I do also save my apologetics/Catholic magazines for reference (This Rock, Envoy). And I keep those indefinitely - oh and I guess I should confess that I also have saved all my La Leche League magazines ( ummm...21 years worth... for sentimental reasons). I also have several years worth of old Welcome Home/Mothers at Home magazine (which Elizabeth edited and wrote for many years ago and was my first introduction to her family and life). Oh, and there is Mothering... and Cobblestone (reference material!) Okay so I guess I really have lots of mags still around here... Most of these I don't currently subscribe to, so they aren't still piling up ...

I really should go through the craft ones and only save the articles/crafts that I am interested in. I already do that with Martha Stewart magazines -since I don't have a subscription I photocopy the pages I want each month when I check it out from the library and with Cooking magazines. So I guess I really should do the same with the ones I subscribe to.

Current subscriptions: Family Fun, Cooking Light, American Girl, Sports Illustrated Kids, Golf Digest, National Geographic (gift subscription probably won't continue). (I have no problem getting rid of the sports magazines once the new one arrives )

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennyM
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennyM

I'm slowly catching up on clipping and then tossing my old magazines. I cut out recipes I'd like to try as well as crafts/homemaking ideas/miscellaneous ideas that I think are neat and would like to do in the future. Then, I stick those clippings in my recipes or craft/homemaking binders and recycle the old magazines! I can't stand having them sitting around! Although, right now I only have two subscriptions-- so not too much clutter from them!
Back to Top View JennyM's Profile Search for other posts by JennyM

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I keep the Catholic and the history ones for research and reference, and also several country living/homesteading magazines. My dh has kept every issue of every hunting magazine he has ever received.

Anastasia
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Anastasia

It's hard for me to throw out magazines, mostly because I keep finding useful things every time I start a new project. So I have one or two that I'll keep until they fill out their bookshelf, then tear out the articles I really liked.
Back to Top View Anastasia's Profile Search for other posts by Anastasia Visit Anastasia's Homepage

rose gardens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote rose gardens

It helps me to get rid of magazines when my toddlers tear them into shreds.

I have four magazine subscriptions, plus I recieve other magazine type publications from various organizations. The "other" I try to read anything interests me quickly then throw away.

It's hard to get rid of magazines, but space is limited so I sort through them and toss many when my spot for storing them is full. If the particular issue isn't all that great, I have torn out recipes or articles that interest me then tossing the magazine after reading--but that rarely happens. More typically, I leave a magazine on the end table, then either a child tears the cover off or I put the magazine away in a cabinet for months until I need the space. Some magazines stay in that storage for years, and the same month/season from previous years I often end up reading again.

Back to Top View rose gardens's Profile Search for other posts by rose gardens

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I tear out articles and pictures that look interesting.

Recipes go into a recipe binder (3 ring with page protectors).

Craft ideas and other pretty pictures go into my personal journal (a la Holy Experience) or into my weekly folders (a la By Sun and Candlelight).

I still have intact old Heart and Mind and Mater et Magistra magazines and a year (or so's) worth of Ranger Rick and Kid Discover. My son keeps his Boys Life, Swimming World and Splash magazines in his room. Most of them are in tatters, but it would be heartless of me to purge them, he loves them so and rereads them too!

I allowed myself to subscribe to two new magazines this year, through the local public middle school's magazine sale. Helping the kids, you know.   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

In 20 years of marriage I accumulated WAY.TOO.MANY. magazines (not to mention books). This is the year I'm getting rid of ALL.OF.THEM. I've started with my recipe clippings and other food-related stuff. I'll do the crafty things next, though I may still keep crafty clippings in a binder (something I didn't do before, duh! -- they're in boxes!!! ) -- but like my recipes I'll put a strict limit, like what is really humanly possible to finish in a lifetime (or whatever I've got left LOL) .... so maybe, I don't know, 200?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Oh gosh -- I think I'm the other end of the spectrum -- I don't subscribe to any magazines, I rarely buy them, and if I do I keep them for a couple of weeks then ruthlessly chuck them!

I used to hold on to things like that then realised that I never, ever looked at them -- or if I did, I couldn't find what I wanted anyway!

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Hmmm..thanks so much for all the responses - it was a big step for me when I managed to finally recycle a huge pile of old Spiders and Ladybug magazines - they were in pieces but my boys just pour over them again and again (hence the pieces).

But maybe just keeping a year's worth of those is the best bet.

Could I recycle old Cricket's? Hmmm dd and I put all the issues we have in order recently but they are now a mass of mess again (those boys! I didn't get them into holders fast enough).

I do enjoy my "Faith and Family" magazine but is it one I really need to keep? I think I should start my own "good ideas" notebook or something.

"Living Craft" is a keeper - can see using those well into grandma years...

Love my "Cooks Illustrated" - one of my favorite parts is the covers! That one is up for renewal - maybe I'll just put resubbing for a bit!

Really miss getting "Latin Mass" - my subscription just lapsed and I miss it.

Certainly couldn't give up "Mater et Magistra" - I should really count those homeschooling curriculum right? Along with all the issues of "Learning Through History"?

And this year I'm awfully tempted to try "Gilbert!" -

And subscriptions do start to add up - maybe I should set a budget amount and rotate subscriptions every few years?

Or maybe I should just mail myself an old issue once in a while to get that thrill of getting mail that I really want! Anyone want a pen pal?   

Sigh - I just love the days when a magazine arrives in the mail and I can curl up with a cup of coffee....

I'll keep working on it - detachment, detachment, detachment! Not easy for someone who has inherited the pack rat gene. My mother has an entire wall to ceiling bookcase filled with National Geographics - I think datng back to the 40's - she had even earlier ones but they suffered some damage in her attic.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Something to consider.. if you get a Catholic magazine (it sounds like you do) start a magazine exchange at Church.. then when you're finished with it, you can put it at the Church for someone else to enjoy. Our little library in the Parish hall (we're talking one wall of shelves in one of the smaller rooms) has a magazine rack and if I got a magazine like that I would take it down there for others to enjoy too.

I take the lacrosse magazine we get with membership down to the dentist office.. just helping promote the sport here in town you know

I have a couple of things I want to pull out of my dh's woodworking magazine.. plans/directions for making some bedroom furniture that's just lovely (and fairly simple). But otherwise a lot of that stuff can be found online once you know it's out there.

And the ones in pieces.. what about letting the kids make collages? at least then it won't feel so hard to toss out cut up magazines

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

I toss most of them...honestly, I *love* browsing through magazines, but I get most of them from the thrift store for 10cents a piece or passed down from friends, so I don't keep them. My three oldest have a subscription each, this year to Cobblestone, Faces, and Click, and I keep those. We keep a stack in the car for bored moments and a stack in the craft supplies. I don't have any other subscriptions right now, but in the past I have held onto mags like Mothering, Mater et Magistra, etc., and when I have several I will pass them on.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I went searching past topics about what to do with "old magazines" and came across this thread.

Although some of my particular questions are answered here, one I have is how often do you use them for your kiddos use? What I mean is that I have some I keep for seasonal projects/ideas (but I rarely pull them out for the season ) or there are some I keep thinking they'll be good "cut and paste" projects for certain topics (really? ever?).

My son has his Boy Scout magazine I seem to keep all those but is that realllly necessary? No, I don't think so, but.....what if, what if....

My DD has all the old Am Girl catalogs...really? Does she ever look at them? Rarely! I think I'm creating bad habits amongst the kiddos.   

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2010 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

I, too, was just pondering this! thanks for renewing this old discussion.

just today a HSing friend recommended a system for the kid magazines. (we have several years' worth of Highlights and NatGeo Kids thanks to gift subscriptions.) she suggested punching holes in them and storing them in a 3-ring binder, which keeps them all together and protected yet easily accessible. seemed pretty smart ...

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 29 2010 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We're starting the process of looking online to see what each mag publishes from back issues. National Geographic, for example, puts a great deal of material online.

So now I'm gleefully planning to donate my NGs to the Stella Maris ministry here - for international merchant sailors - along with gently used clothing and all those free rosaries we get in the mail...turns out that the Stella Maris folks make very good use of holy cards, rosaries, prayer booklets, etc.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2010 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

This is really good information. Never heard of Stella Maris before. Sounds like a wonderful, constructive way to declutter with a purpose (besides the intrinsic joy of decluttering)

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version