Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Are slipcovers a good solution? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Hello Everyone!

I have a question for y'all, do anyone here have slipcovers on their furniture? Our sofa is torn and we don't have the money right now to replace it. I thought about having it recover but I have heard that it is almost as expensive as buying a new one.

So, I am was thinking about slipcovers. I am not sure if I like them. I have never actually sat on a couch that has one. Do they stay put? Do they look attractive? What fabric to use? Where to shop? Pros and cons? I'd really appreciate any information you can give me.

Thanks,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I had a slipcover on my sofa...it was ok. It served it's purpose A lot depends on what shape your sofa is, some styles (camelback) just take a slipcover better.
It also requires some maintanance--straightening up, tucking back in. It's like having to make the bed each day. They have some very nice fabrics available now. Have you been to the surefit website? They're the big slipcover company. The stuff on their website is VERY nice, but there are nice options in Wal-Mart and Target too. I think mine was from Bed Bath and Beyond, just plain cotton duck-it was on clearance, so i wasnt' too picky.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Also if it's just the cushions and those are removeable you could put a simple cover on those and not the rest of the couch and then you don't have the straightening and retucking problem.

I have a dirty chair.. it could be cleaned if I could just manage to find time and money to get it cleaned.. in the mean time I toss a sheet over it and tuck it around the seat.. makes me feel lots better than seeing the dirty chair.

But you may find that you could get a decent used couch for the cost of a good slip cover.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

HeatherS
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherS

I have liked the cotton, semi-fitted slipcovers I've gotten at Target & off of ebay - the last one was a Pottery Barn cover to fit a large sofa & I got it for a great price. Both were cotton & easy to wash. Imho, I think that they look really attractive esp. with a throw pillow(s) of blanket folded over the arm of the couch. But then, I guess that's a personal preference?

Cons: Yes, I agree, especially with little ones, I do feel like I'm making a bed when I tuck & retuck the slipcover!    But they do stay put for the most part.
Pros: Easy to care for & they add a nice touch to the room the furniture is in. For all of our furniture being 15+ years old and hand-me-downs, I do like the look of slipcovers on our 2 couches - you'd never know they were *mismatched* underneath!..Not that that would bother me too much since the furniture was kindly gifted to us.      I've also bought a king-sized, simple white blanket from TJ Maxx & used it to *cover* the smaller of our two couches.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I had one for several years. It was canvas, a sage green color. It worked wonders with an infant and a 3 yo old. After 3 or 4 years I dyed it a dark brown and it held up for another 2 years. I believe I bought it on sale for $20 at the time. Well worth my investment.

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

I would second the suggestion to look used! Craigslist, or yard/estate sales.

I conidered this company a while ago - but couldn't get anything to fit the style I was trying to cover. They do have styles that cover the cushions separately from the frame.

Surefit

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We had a couch once that we slipcovered. As a funny aside, we called it the "bird couch" because of the truly awful pattern on it. We'd been given it by a friend whose mother-in-law was moving from assisted living into the nursing home. When, a few years later, we attended her 90th birthday party at the nursing home we discovered that the couch matched the wallpaper in the common rooms. We wondered if the couch had been really hers to give away.

Anyway, we covered it with a green slipcover from Target and it was okay. BUT--it really does need to be maintained like making a bed every day. Actually I found it harder than making a bed. But partly I was in denial about the maintenance required. They do look really nice when they are all tucked in but they do not stay that way for long.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I like the newer "stretch" covers. They fit a wider range of styles and since you stretch them over the sofa, they fit pretty tight, so they don't get that saggy baggy look. Also, if you take a piece of PVC pipe and push it down across the back of the sofa, the slip cover will stay tucked in. (thank you Trading Places    )

I have 2 old sofas. They were hand made in the1940's. The frames are incredibly strong and the style is awesome. I can't even imagine how much they would cost to make today. But the pattern Once we have no more littles, I am going to have them professional reupholstered, but until them we slip cover them.

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

If you google DIY slipcovers, you can find ideas ranging from simple tuck and safty-pin covers to fitted covers with nice skirts.

My mom has made fitted covers, but before we acquired our IKEA couch we just tucked a nice blanket or afghan over our worn couch.

My IKEA couch and easy chair have fitted covers which are bought separately :-)

They are fitted (with zippers and velcro) so that they don't slip loose and there are separate covers for the cushions.

I like them, they don't require tucking in on a daily basis (just putting the cushions back on) but I can remove them and wash them in the washing machine if need be.

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks for the replies.

Noreen, I did look at Surefit but I didn't see any pattern I liked. I never thought of looking at Bed Bath and Beyond. The re-tucking issue is what I am more afraid of. I am not good with things that need too much attention

Jodie, unfortunately it is the back of the love seat that is ripped. So I will need to recover the whole thing. You might be right about a good used couch but, where to look for used couches?

Heather, I never thought of looking on Ebay. Thanks for the tip.

You guys have given me ideas of places to look Ikea, Target, BBB,Ebay, Craiglist, Awesome!

I was looking around on this websiteand they have some really nice patterns. They custom made ones seem to be the kind that comes in two pieces. I wonder if the two pieces one stay put better that the one piece?

I have some research to do now Thanks for the launching points,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I still have material I meant to make into a slipcover AGES ago. The original couch I meant it for is LONG gone. In the spring (it's a really light-colored flowery material) maybe I'll just re-upholster the couch we currently have since it's so dark (dh will probably say, "Riiiiight...."). I *love* the idea of slipcovers, but I haven't found a ready-made one yet that I liked.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I'm not a big fan of slipcovers, either. Like you said, the ones we've had need to be adjusted every day to look neat. We tried Craigslist but didn't have much luck. Then we found some nice used furniture for our living room for very reasonable prices at a Catholic thrift store. The couch was less than some of the slipcovers that were mentioned, here and in better shape than the old couch we have in our family room. You might have some luck at a thrift or used furniture store.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version