Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Make Me Laugh with your Numbers---- Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

How much of something do you buy that makes jaws drop???? Share!!!!!! Anything!

Yesterday I purchased 30 pairs of microfiber tights at Target. I love Targets microfiber tights for girls, and they are only $1.99! (NOT their sweater tights, though!) I'm always afraid they are going to stop carrying them...so I stocked up! Everyone's eyes were bulging as I tossed 'em onto the counter.

And, then 100 lbs. of granola at our bulk grocery store, cuz it was on sale!   

I made a little card for my husband and set it on his pillow.....

"Thank you for being a good provider! And, thank you for the 30 pair of tights and 100 lbs. of granola. We love you! Love, US!"    
(I don't ever want to be accused of not keeping him up-to-date on where our money is going!!)

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Last year, we bought 300lbs of rice during one trip. The 20lb bags were on sale!

I was really into a "preparedness" phase big time, but got a little too happy with the rice.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Michaela wrote:
but got a little too happy with the rice.

*giggle*
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I was at Target today and 4 packs of 70 page spirals notebooks were $0.10. I bought 100 4 packs My 5 year old is on a writing kick and is going through a notebook every couple days. Now it is guilt free!

Also 150 count packs of filler paper were $0.08 apeice so I think I bought 50. It doesn't go bad, or out of style and our need for lined paper isn't going to decrease!

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

The latest one that I can remember was the last trip to Big Lots.I bought

25 boxes of graham crackers (they were on sale for $.90 cause they expire in 2 weeks)

12 boxes of Shredded Mini wheats (they were on sale for $1.10 and I had several coupons too)

14 bottles softsoap hand soap ( on sale for some reason for $.40) I would have bought more but that was all they had

And why does the cashier at the grocery store look at me like I am growing 12 heads when I buy 7 gallons of milk, doesn't everyone

I know those numbers aren't that big but hey I only have 4 kids

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I don't know the numbers on this one, and my dh did it, not me.......

One Chevy HD one ton pickup, with the back filled TO. THE. TOP. with loaves of bread.

$5 total -- our stand-alone freezer is full. So are the freezers belonging to MIL, SIL, two neighbors and best friend.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The eggs.. those are the ones that always drops jaws.. when I can get the eggs cheap (repacks at the store here.. so still in date but sold cheaper) I'll get as much as 16 doz eggs. But when it takes 20 eggs for one scrambled egg breakfast.. we can go through them rather quickly

oh another fun one is when AP flour is on sale.. usually the cheapest price is the 5lb bags so.. just to fill my 6gal bucket takes 10 of them

oh and when I'm making jam that's a big one.. 24lbs of strawberries?

and potatoes.. when potatoes go on sale really cheap once it's october and the temperatures aren't as warm.. I'll fill up a big moving box in my garage with them.. 150-200 pounds

My biggest purchases are done during either the local case goods sale so doesn't stand out.. or through a warehouse so again doesn't stand out.. actually my order is on the small side for them even though it's 700# of food for our family.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

When we were living in Italy, I took the kids to Calif. to visit family and bring my MIL to our Italian home.

When I got back, dh had purchased 140 quintals of firewood (about 2 cords) - enough for the rest of our stay there, and we sold about half a cord at cost to American friends. They'd fill their trunks...and we could see no difference in the amount of wood sitting in our driveway. Guess who developed an allergy to the bark? (Hint: he bought the wood.) Even my MIL helped carry that firewood down to our patio!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
Yesterday I purchased 30 pairs of microfiber tights at Target. I love Targets microfiber tights for girls, and they are only $1.99! (NOT their sweater tights, though!) I'm always afraid they are going to stop carrying them...so I stocked up! Everyone's eyes were bulging as I tossed 'em onto the counter.

30 pairs of tights!!!!!!???????

I don't have anything to brag about really...I guess I could say that we just restocked and bought 50 lbs of wheat berries and 30 pounds of Arborio rice...a bunch of dates...and I might have gone a little crazy on the Post-It note aisle ...but...I know where I'm goin' for tights on Monday!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Well, now I know who to blame when I get to the store and all the sale items I wanted are GONE!!! It's a jungle out there!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Like Jodie, we use a lot of eggs. We generally get them from a local farm, for free. Yes, very lucky us I know! We get 16 dozen every three weeks. I do give a few dozen away here and there to friends and neighbors. I buy 10 gallons of milk each week. The other big purchases don't seem so big since they are from a co op. 25# of beans, 25# of groats, 5# of popcorn, etc...

I will be going to Target today, and my girls need tights - I wonder if there will be any left...

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

This is hilarious. The biggest purchase I ever make in volume is rice. When the new crop shows up in the stores, I buy 50 lb bags and usually about 4-5 of them to last the year.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

In a very slightly different vein (because my family isn't that big) but we always amaze people with our egg purchases. We drive a pretty long way every four to six weeks for raw milk and grass fed eggs and meat. Since there's only five of us I guess that just makes us nuts. But them farm store guy asked me to start calling ahead if I want to get 15 doz. eggs at one shot.

And now that I've heard such great reports on Target tights I will definitely be stocking up next time I'm there. We don't live near a Target (or any other normal store) anymore so I'll clean them out next time I happen to be in one. My 3yo is going through a pair of tights a week lately.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Tights on sale? Wow.

Course, we use the heavier knit ones. And there isn't a Target within close to 50miles of me.

I'll have to look around online, soon. Getting cooler here, especially in the mornings.

As far as what we buy...well, I buy 12 gallons of milk at a time. But that lasts us 2 wks. :-) And at least 4 lbs of butter--but usually it is 6lbs. And I get it all at one time at the same store. They see me coming and get the paper bags doubled up.    They like me there. :-)

I can commisserate on the rice/beans/flour/sugar purchases. We do a good bit of canning here too (and this year, I've got some cherry brandy going, as well), so we can go through the sugar, fast. Dried beans, we get a lot of those. One of the local stores had their store brand organic ones on clearance a while back and I bought every bag of them they had left. As well as all of the organic tomato products they had marked down. All well within dates (do dried beans ever go BAD?)...oh well. My gain!

Oh--when I go to the store to buy bread...10-12 loaves at a time (leaving room in the deep freeze for the doves a friend is hoping to bring us, as well as any meat DH may get his hands on via "Bambi", "Thumper", or "Donald" this fall. Not to mention our dinner on hooves, Willy. He's currently eating down our front pasture.    As mowers go, he's pretty good. Add water and a mineral block, and he's good to go. LOL.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

One year I kept finding packs of looseleaf paper on sale and didn't pay close attention to how much I was buying; I bought no more than 5 packs of 100 sheets each at any one time. But then I realized that we had 10,000 sheets of paper! Didn't buy any more for a few years, even when it was on sale.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I know you're all focusing on food, but my biggest bulk purchase was about 5 years ago when my favorite brand of deodorant was on clearance and they weren't going to be restocking - I bought them out.

I'd still be using it now, 5 years later, if I hadn't had to drop the use of all anti-perspirants for health reasons :) My son and I were living with a wonderful family at the time - you should have seen the look on the mother's face when I told you and SHOWED her! Well worth it!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Somehow, we have raised our milk numbers from 14 to twenty. I buy 10 on Sunday on the way home from Mass and by Wednesday I need 10 again. My kids love Mexican food so I often will stock up on Ortega Taco Sauce, maybe 10 at a time. When our local grocer has a good cereal sale or English Muffin sale, it is nothing to buy 30 packs of English Muffins or 50 boxes of cereal...My pantry often looks like a Spartan Food warehouse. The ladies at the grocery store often give me the "insiders" tip on upcoming sales so I can prepare my budget.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

oh, and butter! I go nuts when I find butter for $1.49.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

A lot of all that has happened here too. But I wanted to add that I enjoy buying the chocolate Easter bunnies. We have 7 kiddos and basically they all have pretty similar treats in their baskets. So 7 of everything, from the chocolate bunnies, to every other treat we put in there. I feel like Willy Wonka after Easter shopping!

Oh and Office Depot...they don't like me there anymore. When the 24 pk crayons are on sale for 8cents a pack in the summer I take all the kids because the limit is 5 each. They say 5 per customer (not per household, which I always point out) on the flyer. Every time they get mad at me, one year the manager was called because they said my kids didn't count for customers, even though they each had money in their hands. We always end up with all of the crayons...but it's still annoying that they can't just accept us! And why a 5 yrold with a dollar and 5 crayon packs don't count as a customer...I don't know!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2009 at 12:32am | IP Logged Quote Chari

BANANAS here.....my dh does the shopping and every time he shops......some ding dong has to ask if he has monkeys to feed

I have to keep reminding him now that two of the monkeys have left home and we need less food

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version