Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Do you still have your dolls? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

My dd and I have been doing a "doll unit" - just finished Miss Happiness and Miss Flower. Made me think about passing dolls down from generation to generation. I moved continents so many times that I do not have my childhood dolls. I would like my daughters to start a "doll tradition". I have some questions

- what is your favorite doll?
- do you have collectible dolls - and if so what type?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I have dolls my grammy made. Those are the ones I saved.

Grammy also had collectable dolls and when she died my 3 older girls all got a doll (she died before #4 girl) No wait.. I do have a doll for the youngest girl.. it was in some Christmas things that my sister was needing to get rid of after her move here.. no space to display them and she asked if I wanted it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I had dolls from all over the world when I was a girl - little 10" collectibles - everyone would send them to my sister and I or pick them up on vacation. They got lost on one of our moves

I only had one big doll as a child - a baby doll - I still remember getting her on my 8th birthday - she went everywhere with me - I even had her when I got married - but she got lost somewhere on our last intercontinental move

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I no longer have any of my dolls. I had a cloth Polly Pockets (not the one you see when you do a search - I can't find the one I had anywhere). I had Chrissy or Velvet, can't remember which one. Long hair that you could pull on to grow, with a button on her back that you pushed to make her hair shorter. And I had many porcelain dolls from my mom - a bride and groom, several of the von Trapp daughters, and a nun. I wish I still had them.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Like Marilyn, I had a collection of dolls from many countries. My grandparents traveled extensively, and they would always bring back dolls for me from their travels. These are the dolls I kept over the years.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I had two baby dolls including a Thumbelina. But I gave them to my dd when she was too young. They did not survive both of us.

I still have an extensive collection of Barbie dolls that my grandmother made clothes for out of '60s and '70s fabric. She crocheted a beautiful wedding dress as well. My dd loved these when she played with them, but much to my dismay, she has given up dolls completely.

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

I still have my two cabbage patch dolls (at least my mom has them in a box in her attic!) and I still have my American Girl Doll. I got her when they first came out. She's now put away for when my daughter is old enough.

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

No collectibles. Favorite doll was (and still is) my "broken neck" doll (she didn't have a broken neck, originally, but my brother grabbed her hair and tried to pull her away from me once, making her more like a "real" baby, who needs her head supported). My grandma sewed her clothes and my dad made her cradle. She's a 1977 Fisher Price "My Baby Beth").

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

I had some collectible costume dolls, but mainly just play dolls. I still have a bean bag baby doll given to me when I was 3 months old, as well as a rag doll my mother made me when I was 7. I have to be careful as I still get sort of "confused" and genuinely spend my time dressing dolls and worrying about leaving them cramped in storage boxes or letting them get lonely
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

No, not really. We weren't really big into dolls, and my girls really haven't been either. Even though I've tried--really. They have played 20xs more with their My Little Ponies than with their dolls.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2009 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

I always have loved dolls and used to covet my cousins collection of dolls from around the world. Her dad was a pilot. Having 10 brothers, I would come home from school to find my dolls decapitated, hanging with a rope around their necks, a mustache drawn on them, crewcuts given, or even worse. So, no, I have no dolls to pass on. I also just heard my cousin sold her doll collection because no one wanted it! I wanted to cry.

My oldest loves dolls too and it drives my husband crazy to move that box of dolls each time the Army moves us. She will be 21 in 2 weeks.

One of my favorite books is the Dolls' Christmas by Tasha Tudor. That was the childhood memory I wanted. But having 10 brothers did have its advantages too......

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version