Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Anyone do health insurance on their own?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 25 2009 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

My dh's company is changing their health insurance policies. They are awful. Huge deductibles, limited coverage and then, on top of it all, our monthly cost is going to increase.
We are pretty healthy people. Might have 2-3 office visits a year for the whole family and dh is on a reflux med(which is included under the deductible--so we'll be out a few additional hundred dollars each year as we will never meet the deductible). So, we are thinking of declining, saving the money and buying a major medical policy.
I have also read about health savings accounts where you can put your money and it grows and you pay your own health care bills from it. And unlike the company FSA which you lose if you don't use it, you don't lose it it rolls from year to year.
Anyone have any ideas of what we could do? Any self employed that can tell us what you do?
I understand the importance of insurance and won't live without it but the costs and coverage are getting ridiculous through the company.
Thanks,
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Kath
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Kath

We just purchased our own health insurance from Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. For our family of four, the premium is just over $1000 for six months. The deductible is $250 for each individual and we pay 20% coinsurance after we meet the deductible (up to $1000 per individual, then everything is covered). This is an enormous savings for us as we had been paying for our own portion of a previous employer's group insurance though COBRA. So there are much more affordable plans out there if you are willing to set aside money for deductibles and whatnot, which of course is a great reason for an HSA.

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We are not dr people, so we opted for "catastrophic care" insurance. It doesn't cover basic dr visits, or "normal" medications. It does cover ER visits 100%, and kicks in for any illness/injury once the bills reach $2000 and then pays 100% of the costs. It costs us 50% of traditional insurance.

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

We also have the high ded plan, which cost us (a fam of 9) $350.00/month. I used to work for a health ins co, so I know that this kind of policy offers the most cost savings to the family. Also if you do go to the dr and the visit is not covered, the dr's office usually gives a discount (usually 25%) if you pay at time of service. We used to have a HSA, but for a large family, the savings are not as good as a catastrophic type,but you need to shop around. IMHO,I try to stay away from a low ded ins because they are extreemely costly and cover benefits like sterilization,IVF, and/or abortion.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote violingirl

DH and I are both self-employed (different companies) and we have a major medical plan combined with an HSA. We just plan ahead for our well child visits, my annual OBGYN and DH's annual physical (has to have one for work). We estimate how many sick visits we will need and we've been within that amount so far. Our family doctor charges us far less than the usual visit costs because he knows we pay out of pocket, rather than an insurance company making payment.

Pregnancy is the only thing that worries me. We had regular insurance for both of my pregnancies, but a coworker of DH's wife has had 2 babies since coming to this company and said the hospital actually works out payment plans in a different way when they know you only have major med- they paid less out of pocket for their births than we did, and we were the ones with "great" insurance. If we are able to get pregnant again we will have to sort that out as we go.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

For maternity, we use insurance through the state. It only covers maternity and 2 months post partum. We struggled with using it, as my dh veiws it as a form of welfare but I figure we pay enough to the state, we might as well get something back. They charge on a sliding scale based on your income level and number of children and it pays for everything. I have high risk pregnancies, and we couldn't even begin to afford maternity insurance.

The bills for my last child were over $70,000 We paid $300 in premiums to the state.

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

In regards to the maternity, for our last child, a year ago, we made a deal with the hospital and they took 40% off the total bill. I just paid the entire bill and we got the discount.
Also for most,if not all, major med plans, if a family does(God forbid) have a serious illness,the ins will cover 100% over the deductible. With other plans, a lot of the time you still have co-pays.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version