Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Need a dress for my tall girl! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

Help!

We're going to a wedding, and my daughter has been invited to participate at the reception--she's helping to cut and serve the cake. I can barely find her clothes to wear for church, and now this...

She's almost 12, almost 5'10" and thin. I've searched the web and looked in juniors sections but am getting really tired--everything I've found is too short, too low-cut, too high-cut, too garish, and/or too extravagant. Oh, I wish I could sew! My husband said he'd take her shopping--he does have a knack for finding nice things--but it's getting a little close and he's extremely busy, and I don't want the tension (between us or just from the pressure of the task). But it's really important to him that she present herself well, and I want her to be happy in what she wears. (She is entering the bristly stage if I try to pick her clothes for her when we shop.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Stores? Sites? I know this sort of topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any relevant threads with leads, and I'm about three weeks out from needing this.   

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

what sort of outfit are you looking for? a particular color? skirt and top? or dress? Where have you tried looking? all the major stores? JCPenney, Sears, Kohls etc?

A lot of the problem you're having is that many places don't carry *nice* dresses until closer to Christmas.

I'll look around my stuff and see what I can find.. but if I knew how formal and colors what would help.

I have thin girls but they're short

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

here's a very simple knit dress at landsend. Their smallest women's sizes start not too much bigger than their girls sizes and they seem to have some more modest selections, long skirts - like this one that would just need a pretty top to be dressy.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

NORSTROMS!!! that's where a friend with tall thin daughters shops.. check sale items and their clearance shop is the rack I think.

-Sir Walter Scott

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Well, dresses are so awful these days
......I was going to suggest the skirt/dressy shirt combo too. It's easier to find skirts and tops, than dresses. And a beautiful tops with a skirt and the right shoes can look even nicer than a dress.

Maybe even a blazer/nice jacket??

Knee-high boots can make everything look dressy too.......with a slight heel....you can find them cheap at the kmarts, etc.

So, a nice skirt like Jodie linked, nice blouse/shirt and knee-high boots!!!!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

About style/formality, I would love to find something A-line... I am not targeting a certain color, and I thought about a skirt and blouse combo--I really think that's what we're going to have to go with, because even the small women's sizes usually don't work--the larger sizes are too busty/hippy and the smaller sizes are too short.

I found the same Lands End dress and am going to try it if I can't find something more suitable--I think it will be too roomy. I haven't tried Nordstroms, but I tried JCPenney's, Kohl's, Sears, Target, Old Navy, GAP, Coldwater Creek, Eddie Bauer, and a few hits from Google. Need to try Belk! That's an idea.

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Your girl is taller than my tallest (though since I'm only 5'2" they'll all be taller than me--two of them already are!). We got away with petites for a while, but that won't really work for a young lady who is much taller than 5'4".

That said, I'd try Coldwater Creek (outlet, especially) in the women's XS/S size (4-6), Chadwicks, Talbots, etc. if you haven't already done so (and I recently had good luck with the outlet at Travelsmith for some dresses for my girls to wear out of town, too). We've had some of the same problems (though without the height factor) in re: too short, too low cut, etc. Here's what I do:

Too low in front: pretty lace-topped camisole or sleeveless shell in a matching or complementary color to be worn under the dress. Since young ladies are often not endowed enough for the dress styles, this helps even things out up top, so to speak, as well as providing modest coverage.

Too short: dark tights or stockings and the same color shoe as the stockings (if possible).

Sleeveless (as so many dresses are, even in winter): A pretty cardigan sweater or wrap that matches the dress.

Too garish: usually we pass these by, but if we have something that can be "toned down" with a solid color sweater and conservative accents I'll consider it.

Too extravagant: I hear you. These days I avoid "one-season dresses" such as red or green plaid or velvet, anything that is too fragile or fussy, and anything that can't be machine washed (even if it has to be washed separately and drip-dried). I avoid these for myself as well as for the girls, though.

A couple of questions: when is the wedding--soon? Is it a daytime or evening reception? Is the style of the wedding/reception formal (that is, wedding after five, sit-down dinner and dancing, etc.) or less formal?

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Here is an a-line Skirt from an Etsy-person, I just found this the other day....pricey! Yikes!

And, of course, I would be slacking if I didn't mention the Tznius skirts and Page 2 of skirts

Shimmery Wrap Skirt is only $22

Long Velvet Wrap Skirt

I think these skirts look GORGEOUS on taller women and girls...esp. with boots.

There is Modest World, but they're closed for Shabbos. They have a TON of reasonable priced long skirts.

Mary Chris has the Tznius black velvet wrap skirt.....didn't she have a pic of it with a fancy blouse?

Or....there are lots of fuller a-line knee-length skirts out there now...knee length is the style.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Nicole~Have you tried the thift stores???? Some of the skirts are nearly brand-new!!! And, there tends to be lots of newer long STRAIGHT skirts there.....cuz, well, you can't wear those for jumping and moving around.

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Oh, I see you posted just when I did!

Here are a couple of possibilities:

From Travelsmith, though perhaps a little pricey and you might need that camisole on top;

Here's one from Chadwicks that could be dressed up with a scarf or jewelry, though some people don't wear red to a wedding.

And one more--though definitely on the fancy side--from Nordstrom's outlet:

This one.

Hope you can find something! I know how hard it is to find decent dressy clothes for girls these days.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

If you have any bridal shops in your area....sometimes they have dresses that are a bit less formal that were overflow...or incorrectly altered, etc. It may be worth calling them.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Red.....LOVE the Travelsmith and Nordstrom ones!!!!

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

(I'm 5'9" and thin, so I know how hard this can be...)

Try Sierra Trading Post. Dresses aren't shown on models, but they tell you the length, which may be more helpful b/c it's hard to tell how tall a model is.

I love this Pura Vida sundress - for $18; you could buy a nice black sweater to wear with it for that price!

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Nicole~
How are you doing?

I found this tonight while shopping this evening and thought of you and your dd:

Shabby Apple. There are some beautiful, classy dresses there.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version