Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: the potato discussion got me thinking... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

After reading the potato recipe thread I was wondering...would any of you ladies share your recipe for Shepherd's Pie? I've never made it myself, but it always sounds delicious! Thanks!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Seconding the request...

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2009 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Nique

(This comes from Simply Recipes)

EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs ground round beef
1 onion chopped
1-2 cups vegetables - chopped carrots, corn, peas
1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones)
8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice

Method
1)Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).

2)While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying pan.

3)Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins). If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.

4)Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add worcesterchire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.

5)Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.

6)Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.

7)Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.

Serves four.

FYI: Shepherd's Pie is an English dish, traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Americans typically make Shepherd's Pie with beef. The English (and Australians and New Zealanders) call the beef dish a "cottage pie". Naming conventions aside, Shepherd's Pie is essentially a casserole, lined with cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

I make a simple shepherd's pie using leftover mashed potatoes. It's not fancy, but it's EASY!

Brown 2 lbs. of ground beef.
   (you could add onion here if desired, my kids don't like it)
Add a dash or two of salt.
If you like add a teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or so.

While you are browning the meat, thaw some veggies - whatever you have. I usually use 2 of the 16 oz bags of mixed veggies, corn, carrots, broccoli, or whatever.

Put the browned meat (don't drain it) on the bottom of a 9x13 dish. Drain veggies and add them on top of the beef. Take leftover mashed potatoes and cover the top with them.

Put the whole thing into the oven and bake uncovered at 375 for about 40 minutes until lightly browned on top and bubbly inside.

God bless,
Christine

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2009 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I have this planned for one night this week. My children are picky about certain vegetables mixed together so I stick with basic string beans and corn and they all eat it (and love it).

SUPER-EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE
1 lb ground chuck meat seasoned, browned
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can corn
1 can string beans
6 servings mash potatoes
grated cheddar cheese

Season and brown meat. Drain. Add and heat one can cream of mushroom soup to meat. Add can of corn and can of string beans. Heat. Scoop into casserole dish. Fix mash potatoes, scoop, and spread on top of meat mixture. Sprinkle desired amount of grated cheddar cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees approx. 15-20 minutes.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 23 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

I make it when we have left over or "planned over" mashed potatoes. I brown ground beef with onion and drain, add in a bag of frozen mixed veggies, and either a jar of gravy or a packet of gravy mix that's been prepared. Put it in a a 9x13 and top with mashed potatoes, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 25 or so minutes.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version