Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Portable art and other ideas for 2 yod Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I have a lot of "sitting around" in various places to do with my 2 year old (and baby in carrier) - as we wait for older children. I am trying to pack a backpack of activities for my 2yod - he loves drawing and coloring and all kinds of art. I just am having difficulty coming up with suitable materials that will not make too much of a mess or involve a lot of clean up as we are in lobbies/car etc. I am also looking for other activity ideas for the little guy to keep him busy and focused - I always take a lot of picture books to read and he has a little magnadoodle.I also pack little animals (toobs) and rescue heroes.

Please share any ideas you have.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Since he was three, my ds7 has loved his magnetic chess board. I know they are available for checkers, too.

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Dover sells some wonderful small inexpensive coloring books and sticker activity books that are just the ticket for keeping little ones occupied.

A smaller clipboard (I think they're 5 x7) and a ziploc bag or fabric pencil case filled with smaller colored pencils might be nice. Crayola makes some smaller twist-up crayons which are very nice, too! You could rotate stacks of small coloring pages or scrap paper on the clipboard.

I've seen some magnetic activity sets and lacing card sets that seem perfect for sitting and playing in lobbies, etc.

For the times you're out of the car, does your little guy like Matchbox or Hot Wheels cars? Those were always a favorite with our boys and they're small enough to fit nicely in a backpack. I realize most small cars say 3 and older, but if your son is able to draw and color, is he pretty safe with certain toys that are geared for older children? A patterned scarf could serve as imaginary roads or you might even try drawing roads and such on a plain cloth that could be easily folded to fit in a backpack. Sharpie makes some new colored fine point pens that would work quite nicely for a project like that (of course I meant for you to color the cloth, not your ds, since permament markers and a toddler don't mix very well, huh!). A small pencil box or a ziploc bag could easily hold a few small cars and a folded up cloth. Switching which vehicles you pack from time to time might help keep him interested!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

On the hotwheels, they may even have road fabric at the fabric store.. so you could jsut buy a section and finish the cut edges rather than needing to draw it yourself.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

How about a travel-size flannel board?

We have several of the travel-size sets and really enjoy them. The sets come in a plastic ziploc-type bag and include a small felt board and and several felt pieces. The sets are usually centered on a theme like Under-the-Sea, Zoo Animals, or Fire Fighters.

The nice thing about the sets is that you can play with the set with your child or the child can play alone. My kids love it when I tell them a story and they put the felt piece on the board as I mention that piece. This was a great way for me to interact with a toddler while also nursing or caring for a new-born.

Good luck!

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Our all-time favorite easy portable toy for toddlers is the wooden sewing toy. Not exactly art, but does develop manual dexterity!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

pipe cleaners. quiet, non-messy, versatile. mine make animals and armies with them.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I also second Caroline's idea of the sewing toy. Our fifth child is now using it and it looks brand new. It builds lots of skills, including problem-solving and fine motor skills.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks for the wonderful ideas - I am going to get organized this weekend. I really need to get that sewnsew thingy - Caroline has recommended it to me before I am sure and I thought it looked wonderful. All the other ideas are great too.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Martha

These are the best little kid friendly watercolors ever. I take them on the go twice a week!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Wow Martha - these look awesome. (great for Christmas stockings!)

Do you use any kind of portable lap desk that your would recommend? How do your kids use the watercolors on the go?

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I have these nifty storage bins that double as a lap desk.

But we've also just used a clipboard or a done it with the page still in the drawing pad with a stiff cardboard backing on it. The paints really do not spill even if dropped upside down. I put them in a gallon ziplock bag when I need to just toss them in my backpack just in case, but so far they have never spilled. The pad takes a lot of paint on it and you can turn it over. If I can't rinse it and pat dry in the restroom where ever I'm at, then I just do it when we get home.

I really do think Crayola should pay me a commission or at least a couponor something. Every time we've pulled them out moms and kids gravitate to us and ask about them. I bet I've helped sell at a least a couple dozen of these things.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Martha wrote:
These are the best little kid friendly watercolors ever. I take them on the go twice a week!

I went to Michael's today and they were on sale for $3.33 -I got them for the two littles and they are already using them. Thank you for the tip

Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

Wikki stixs?

Pam

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/paminoz/
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version