Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: baby/toddler speech question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 12 2009 at 4:27am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Has anyone here noticed her "this must be too young for speech therapy" child missing certain consonant sounds you would expect him/her to have by that age, in spite of great language development? Did it just resolve itself with them learning those consonants out of order? Did you do anything directly to address it?

My 12 1/2-month-old has an amazing vocabulary -- especially for a baby who seems to have a pretty limited consonant repertoire. One of the things I find odd is that she almost never says the sounds of M or B, consonants so commonly associated with early baby babbles. She says "D" for "B." (And is still calling me Daddy as I posted about not too long ago. I even tried demonstrating tonight: "Mmmmmooommmmmmmmmyyy." And she replied, "Dddddaaaadddddyyy." Seriously. She clearly understands that "Mommy" means me, but she doesn't seem to try correcting the vowel or the consonant in her own pronunciation of that one!)

She says c/k, d, g (I think), p, s, t, w, something approximating x and something approximating ch, not sure if anything else but not m and b. You can even hear a hint of "l" sometimes at the end or beginning of words! That took both my sons years. But barely ever does an m escape from her, when it does it's probably when she's fussing or babbling and not saying her words, and I don't know if we've ever heard a b.

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

My current 2 yo is in speech therapy for this very thing. He started therapy at 18 months.

He talks in sentences, now, but without consonants so it's really hard to understand!

Typical sentence:

I wah eye uh ees aw.
"I want my undies on"

Weirdly, he has no trouble with /l/, which is usually one of the last consonants a kid gets!

Bring up concerns with your doctor, and he can give you a recommendation for ECI (Early Childhood Intervention). The ECI people will come out and do a full evaluation (speech, receptive language, fine motor skills, gross motor skills) and tell you how your child is doing and if he qualifies for services. You don't have to ACCEPT services, but it's good to know *if* he needs help or if his speech issues are just normal.

In our case, Xavier tested months ahead in physical, social and emotional development, but was at a 4 MONTH old level for expressive speech (at age 18 months!).

After 6 months of speech therapy he testedat a 12 month old level (he was 24 months at the time) and is getting better.

One thing the speech therapist has us doing is holding the toy or object next to our mouths so X can see the toy AND our lips and emphasizing the initial consonant. So we'll hold the car next to our mouth and say "C, C, Car".

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Here's a speech and articulation development chart that looks similar to the one I used when tracking my 1st ds's speech development, which was on the late bloomer end of the continuum. At 14 he now has age-appropriate articulation and did not have any formal intervention. Both of his brothers also have lagging speech development/articulation but I've grown more comfortable waiting and helping in an informal way. Interestingly, I learned that my dh also had speech delays when he was young. He's fine now .   

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Thank you, Angie, for that link. My eight-year-old ds, with lots of language/development issues, still isn't able to say "th" sounds or "sh", but the chart consoled me because he's still near the age when those sounds "come in". Theresa, he couldn't say the "m" sound until he was almost 4. I didn't even realize that sound was missing, I only wondered why he never said "mommy". Turns out he was saying it, but it sounded like "bobby". He did have the b sound. In his case, it was motor processing problems. He just couldn't get his mouth to articulate the sounds. He was also delayed in gross and fine motor development, walking very late. If your child is otherwise doing well developmentally, you might want to wait a few months and see if the sound comes in.
If you are concerned, I would have him evaluated. We did this with one ds who was totally incomprehensible even at the age of 4; turns out he had ALL of the sounds down pat-he just spoke so fast that no one could quite get what he was saying! The evaluation put my mind at ease in this case; in the case of the ds with the disability, it helped us formulate a plan of action.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

I am so glad this thread was started. My DS just turned 12 mo. and had his 12 mo well visit yesterday. He currently on says the /m/ sound .... mama mama mama - that is it!

I mentioned this to his ped. and she said that he could definitely be on the slower side of things but that his sounds/speech should pick up within the next 2-3 months or he will need to be evaluated again. Should I be concerned?

I sometimes wonder if it is because my DS is not interested in reading or being read to - he plays while I read and could really care less about looking at the pictures or anything - any suggestions here?

My DD will be 3 in Dec. and she speaks clearly, in full sentences, and loves books. I thought that because my DS was the second he would pick things up quick, if not sooner than DD - that is clearly not the case here.
Back to Top View lovebeingamom's Profile Search for other posts by lovebeingamom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

lovebeingamom wrote:
I am so glad this thread was started. My DS just turned 12 mo. and had his 12 mo well visit yesterday. He currently on says the /m/ sound .... mama mama mama - that is it!

I mentioned this to his ped. and she said that he could definitely be on the slower side of things but that his sounds/speech should pick up within the next 2-3 months or he will need to be evaluated again. Should I be concerned?

I sometimes wonder if it is because my DS is not interested in reading or being read to - he plays while I read and could really care less about looking at the pictures or anything - any suggestions here?

My DD will be 3 in Dec. and she speaks clearly, in full sentences, and loves books. I thought that because my DS was the second he would pick things up quick, if not sooner than DD - that is clearly not the case here.

Actually, with an older child talking it's more likely for a second child to be delayed because the older child does the talking for them.. not because there is actually any problems.

But mine fall on the later end of normal anyway.. my oldest was 3 yr 1 mo before she got into talking.. before that she'd say words but just isolated words now and again and no guarantees that you'd hear the same word again. She did finally need some speech therapy but that was only for the R sound and that's like the last sound so you couldn't even know she needed that until she was 7ish.

So these tiny ones that are missing sounds are just amazing to me.. mine at that age might have mama and dada at most.. I guess because mine are late talkers and I don't find a need to change that, that I simply don't worry about it until they're well over 3yr.. AND stop adding in new sounds.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I think it depends on your comfort level for waiting it out and that mom-intuition as to whether you think something is really wrong or if they are just a late bloomer.

All of mine have talked late. I have *never* had a 12 month old say anything. An early talker here is one that starts saying Mama any time before 15 mos. Two of mine didn't talk beyond a 10 word vocabulary till between 3 and 3 1/2. One of these is my almost 10 yr old. She is reading fine (although she started slower) and speaks articulately, with no intervention.

My family doc. who has 5 kids of her own is of the mindset that if the child is making all other developmental markers normally and doesn't seem to have any difficulty understanding language, then its best to allow the child to develop without professional intervention.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

JodieLyn wrote:
lovebeingamom wrote:

Actually, with an older child talking it's more likely for a second child to be delayed because the older child does the talking for them.. not because there is actually any problems.

But mine fall on the later end of normal anyway.. my oldest was 3 yr 1 mo before she got into talking.. before that she'd say words but just isolated words now and again and no guarantees that you'd hear the same word again. She did finally need some speech therapy but that was only for the R sound and that's like the last sound so you couldn't even know she needed that until she was 7ish.

So these tiny ones that are missing sounds are just amazing to me.. mine at that age might have mama and dada at most.. I guess because mine are late talkers and I don't find a need to change that, that I simply don't worry about it until they're well over 3yr.. AND stop adding in new sounds.

Ok .... I failed to mention that my son likes to *yell* as well. You cannot make out any sounds from it .... just *aaaaaaaa* - very loudly.
Back to Top View lovebeingamom's Profile Search for other posts by lovebeingamom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Boys are not girls.. they enjoy being loud just because they can. Girls run up to you and stop and give you a hug.. boys run into you to give you a hug and bounce off and keep going.

Now if there's something that you feel is just not right.. when you don't compare him to your daughter.. that's something else.. but boys and girls can be enough different that it's really hard to compare where one is to the other.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

JodieLyn wrote:
Boys are not girls.. they enjoy being loud just because they can. Girls run up to you and stop and give you a hug.. boys run into you to give you a hug and bounce off and keep going.

Now if there's something that you feel is just not right.. when you don't compare him to your daughter.. that's something else.. but boys and girls can be enough different that it's really hard to compare where one is to the other.

I completely agree here - 2 very different children. At this point, I am not concerned .... he responds (via pointing to the sky) if I say look there's an airplane. I believe he understands what we are saying ... just can't say it himself yet.

Again, very glad this thread was started so that I know I am not alone. Thanks ladies for your comments.    

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

JodieLyn wrote:

I love this!!!! I am quoting you from now on, Jodie.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

It really is variable when children begin to talk; in my experience my firstborn spoke very early, everyone else much later. My third ds didn't speak at all to me, not even baby babble, until he was nearly 2.5. Evidently, he did speak to others, but I never believed it because his articulation was so minimal at home. He just yelled and grunted for what he wanted. Finally, I made appts. with both a speech therapist and an audiologist, but before I went for the assessments, he piped up with, "Look at that dump truck rumbling by!" I nearly fainted ! So, turns out he could speak, but baby-like behavior was working for him to get what he wanted from his two older bros...

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

stellamaris wrote:
So, turns out he could speak, but baby-like behavior was working for him to get what he wanted from his two older bros...

So interesting!!!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version