Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Humor this mom of 1 girl and answer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

SO ladies I could not find a thread to answer this...when do you know your daughter needs a bra? She is only 10 and does undershirts now in the winter--and with church dresses when necessary...but all her friends seem to be wearing bras all of a sudden...I think I was in 7th grade when I started. She is pretty underdeveloped but am I missing something...time for a sports bra? She has no interest one way or another and seems comfortable still.

Laura (mom to 5 boys and 1 daughter...and 1 baby daughter coming 12/12)
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Girls do seem to be wearing them earlier...but I think she'll tell you when she's ready...at least, that's what happened at our house.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I would follow her lead - if she seems to notice the other girls and want to wear a sports bra, that would be one indicator. Otherwise, we definitely waited until it was needed here and just used undershirts before that time. Once there was a bit of form under dd's shirts that was noticeable that is when we got some of what they call camisole bras - good beginner option. How long it might be before having to go up to real bras will vary with girls. For us we had about 18 months or so.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Yeah, undershirts here.. but especially in summer the bra provides less heat retention.. so the flat front (not gathered) sports bras are great for that.. and then you get to figure out how to find something decent for her to wear that isn't padded or pushed up

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Stacy Y
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Stacy Y

My 4 sisters and I all got our first bra for christmas when we were in 5th grade. It was very, very exciting, I remember.
Back to Top View Stacy Y's Profile Search for other posts by Stacy Y

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Laura,

I just went through this but my daughter is developing. We went to Walmart and bought her a set of 3 sports bras just like Jodie suggested (flat front). It was a set of 3 for 8.88. We tried to camisoles but she did not like those at all (felt like she was wearing another shirt and was very hot)

She is 9,btw, but like I said developing. I have heard that it is easier to get them to wear them early because they get used to it and then the transition to wearing them all the time is not as hard.

HTH!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

There's a lot of trial and error involved, too...especially these days, when underwire seems to be everywhere. You may find yourself trying a style and discarding it. So...if you can, buy only one of a particular style/type. You can buy more later if it works.

My dd prefers front-hook, no underwire styles...easier for her and far more comfortable. Not so easy to find, though! (Especially without stripes, vivid colors or polka dots...grrr.)

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My dd is 10 and wears a bra at all times. While she doesn't really need the support yet, she needs it for modesty's sake.      She wears sport bras when it is hot or if we are going to be getting grubby. For nicer outfits, she has a few very lightly padded, smooth bras from Walmart. The padding actually makes her chest less noticeable as everything is smoothed out.

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2009 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

My 10 year old is still a little girl. No need for a bra.   At all.   I bought those sports bras for her older sisters once they started getting little "buds" - And then from there went to real bras as needed. If my daughter didn't need one and didn't ask for one, I wouldn't rush it. She will only be a little girl for such a short time. If she asked, I would get her one though.

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 12 2009 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

If there is a mirror that she checks out her clothes in, she'll tell you. My daughters were mortified when they looked in the mirror and saw little bumps under their shirts. Good heavens, could anything be worse How would they survive the shame! I saved them from a life of ridicule by picking up some t-shirt type sports bras and as they got older they would pick out their own and try them on before purchasing. I hold on to them and have passed them down from one daughter to the next. The last is eight years old and unlike her sisters she can hardly wait to have the chance to wear a bra and be one of the big girls.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version