Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: losing weight Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I need to know a good way to lose 25-30 lbs. Now that I'm over 30, my metabolism has slowed down. Aaauuggghh!
I'm not used to this. Can anyone tell me how they go about or went about losing weight successfully?
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

T-Tapp.. well I haven't yet.. I want to though.. life got in my way.. but it makes the most sense to me of anything done deliberately.

I'm currently losing weight just by not overeating.. I eat when I'm hungry and snack some.. but I try and remember that I don't need that extra serving (that I need when pregnant or especially when pregnant and nursing)

but I don't weigh or measure anything.. well I measure myself on occation but not often.. maybe once a month. I discovered I was losing by having 2 doc appts about 2 weeks apart.. and had lost 3 pounds in between. But during that time I was starting to suspect I might from how I looked and how my clothes fit.. just tiny things but enough to make me wonder.

here's a thread of people using t-tapp and supporting each other here.

Slow and steady is the best way to lose.. any changes need to be slow and steady as well and sustainable.. that's what gets people.. you get on this great diet and drop weight but you can't sustain the diet and as soon as you stop all the weight comes right back. T-tapp is about a sustainable change.. and one that you can do more of at first to lose and then reduce the frequency to maintain.. and leads to better health all around not just less weight.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Syncletica, I just read your fuzzy brain post on the Mothering board.. and you know low functioning thyroid can contribute to weight gain and that fuzzy head and low energy level stuff. Would you happen to chart.. like for NFP? it's the cheapest surest way to get an idea if your thyroid is acting funny.. low temps are a pretty sure sign of low thyroid (I understand they used the low temp guide to set the ranges of the blood tests) and is definately better than the general test for thyroid that is normally done. It seems to have a high false negative rate (it says you're not hypo but you are) I'd have to look for the more expensive tests that give you a much surer answer if you want them.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Yes, thyroids that are slow is NOT helpful! Your metabolism slows down AND you tend to want to eat more for two reasons I think, hypoglcemia is a connected condition with low thyroids and to pick up energy levels we seem to automatically head to the fridge for the fix!

I am trying to lose weight so I've just cut out bread in the morning, eating a protein breakfast, a nice light lunch and then in the afternoon I have sheep's yogurt (plain) with frozen blueberries, if you are having sugar problems and that's too harsh, drizzle some raw honey on top, then I make casseroles at night, with just meat, stocks, and loads of vege and I don't serve my plate with potatoes, bread or pasta, just have the casserole straight.

Drinking lime squeezed in water to handle my soft drink cravings...

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I am trying South Beach. I am not a diet girl but it seems to make sense. I really need to get myself healthier. I just need to lose, 10 lbs at the least, would loved to drop 20. It is hard to do this as I was an athlete when younger(swam competitively when 8 years old through triathlons in my 20's and 30's)and always had to try to GAIN weight.
I found reading diet books, all types, helped reinforce healthy eating habits. I also found the common "theme." Just get some out of the library and skim them. It was really interesting.
So, I am doing the 2 week South Beach induction, bought all the food last night, and am going to plod through and see what happens. It is going to kill me not to have fruit or potatoes, and to eat 2 CUPS(!)of veggies at lunch and dinner. Those are a lot of veggies.
I can do anything for 2 weeks. And after that I hope to feel better (and crave my sugar a little less)and just eat better, not necessarily do South Beach forever. My family needs to eat too!
I'll let you know how successful I am
Good luck!
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I finally went to see a nutritionist. That helped alot, and I still have a follow-up with her. But, what I found has really worked for me...no sugar. No cake, cookie, fruit juice, ice cream, just nothing with a refined sugar. I did have gestational diabetes with my last two pregnancies, so I am quite concerned about developing type 2.
AND walking! Everyday, no excuses. I began with a minimum of 1/2 hour. I am now working on getting up to 45 minutes. I am out, whether it is raining or dark (we do live in a very safe neighborhood with sidewalks.) And, I am looking into getting a treadmill or exercise bike for the winter and dh's tax season, so I won't have a reason to miss, then, either.
So, with the walking and no sugar, but eating normal, otherwise, I have lost 18 pounds since the third week of July. Now, I have a boat-load more to lose. But, I am happy I have gotten this far.

It is soooo hard to do! I was thin up until I had my first ds at 25 (I am now 46.) I just decided I want to be healthy for the boys and to around for them as long as I can and God wills.

I will say a prayer for you!!!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I posted what I eat to Sparkpeople for a couple of weeks, and it was eye-opening to see how much I eat that I don't *need* to eat. I have a portion size (AKA gluttony) problem. It was also interesting to find out that when I acknowledged it and consciously watched what I ate, (1) I really didn't miss the extra food that much, and (2) the pounds dropped off like mad.

Then I messed up my back and it went out the window. Time to get back on the horse, I guess.

I found the Sparkpeople site in Bearing Blog's series on weight loss. Bearing Blog She has a handy link to the series on the right side bar.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I have lost 15 lb. since the end of May by changing my diet and exercising. But let me just tell you that you need to hang in there for a while once you start a "program". I was eating well and exercising for 14 weeks before I saw any weight loss. Yes, I felt better and looked trimmer but NO weight loss until finally I started losing about a pound or two a week which is a good steady pace.

I eat no more than 72 grams of carbs a day (not counting veggies that don't raise blood sugar) and lots of fat (yes even saturated fat) and protein. I take cod liver oil and coconut oil together (they work in synergy) twice a day and a few other supplements.

I have had thyroid problems in the past and through some research and then consequently a friend's advice, I started taking the amino acid L-Tyrosine as it's thought to increase T4's. It seems to be helping me as I am losing and those weird spots on my eyelids (a sign of thyroid problems)and other symptoms have disappeared.

Lately I haven't been as faithful with the exercise because life has gotten so busy but I am still losing (slowly!) so that's good.

Also, my dh was not buying the low carb idea until he read the book Life Without Bread --which isn't at all a diet book but a research based book that explains very well what excess carbohydrates do to our bodies. They don't just contribute to type 2 diabetes but also to thyroid problems, heart disease and gastrointestinal problems. The science is there. Even so called "good for you" carbs like whole grains can cause problems --they simply raise your blood sugar too much and cause a release of too much insulin. I would also highly recommend Good Calories, Bad Caloriesby Gary Taubes.

Gotta run --hope this was helpful. Let's keep one another in prayer!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

My secret is really no secret at all: fewer calories. When I set out to lose weight (each postpartum period), I count calories and just stay within the limits I've set up for myself. I figure the numbers so that I lose a bit less than a pound a week, which for me means sticking to about 1600-1700 calories per day--definitely doable. My husband does the same but for maintenance. We have a small food scale (less than $10) and a few sets of measuring cups. We also have made over time a list of calories for the meals and foods we eat most for easy access. I just total it up throughout the day and make adjustments as I need to.

Best things about this system? It works. It's easy (for me, at least) to hold to long term. It appeals to my Type A personality. I am able to eat whatever I want as long as I can fit the calories into my day (I can eat cheesecake for dessert if I have just a salad for lunch, for example). It doesn't rely on exclusion of certain foods or food groups, which I have never liked. It has taught me what proper portion sizes should look like. I am able to graze throughout the day or eat only three portioned meals, whichever method I feel like doing that day. I don't have to cook differently than I normally do (which is helpful since my kids, obviously, aren't counting calories).

Anyway, sorry to go on and on! Good luck finding something that works for you.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

PDyer wrote:
I posted what I eat to Sparkpeople for a couple of weeks, and it was eye-opening to see how much I eat that I don't *need* to eat.

I did the same thing (entered my intake for a few days and analyzed it) a few months ago. Those handy charts showed me 60%-yes, sixty--of my daily calories was CHOCOLATE!!

I didn't think I ate THAT much--oops!!
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

Weight Watchers online has worked great for me.
Um...until I got pregnant.

Nutritionists can be great if they are good ones. I went to one once that was full of such useless advice...things like "use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon" and "drink low fat milk instead of whole milk".

And exercise...of course...easier said than done, but I never lose weight very well unless I exercise at least sometimes.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

melanie wrote:
Weight Watchers online has worked great for me.
Um...until I got pregnant.

Nutritionists can be great if they are good ones. I went to one once that was full of such useless advice...things like "use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon" and "drink low fat milk instead of whole milk".

And exercise...of course...easier said than done, but I never lose weight very well unless I exercise at least sometimes.

Congratulations, Melanie!

I attempted ww online, but I didn't have the time to sit and figure it all out. I am just too visual and need to have the paper in hand to read something well and get it (I will never buy a "kindle" if I don't have to!)

The note about nutritionists is a good point! When I was pg with the gestational diabetes, the nutritionist I had to see was ... too superficial in her advice and ...just really bad.    

I asked my doc for a good recommendation for now, and I really like this one. She had been able to help me with some of my eating quirks (ie. I am allergic to beef-a new allergy of the past three years!- and I have had a hard time with cooking for my meat and potatoes dh and dss, and then trying to come up with my own meal. She has given me a lot of alternatives that are easy, taste good, are healthy and make me not feel deprived or left out.)

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 12 2009 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

mom2mpr wrote:

I did the same thing (entered my intake for a few days and analyzed it) a few months ago. Those handy charts showed me 60%-yes, sixty--of my daily calories was CHOCOLATE!!

I didn't think I ate THAT much--oops!!
Anne

That'd be me up until recently too. I've read that to work off even a couple of biscuits is a long walk; that's made me stop and think. I'm good at not buying chocolate, but if it's in the pantry it's a different story. I've stopped buying cakes, chocolate and biscuits. I bake instead. I've lost a little weight since doing this. I'm slowly reducing my sugar intake, I eat way too many sugary things.

I'm 5 months post partum now. I lost what must have been only fluid in the first month, and a little more since I stopped buying sweet stuff, but I seem to be stuck at 20 lbs above what I'd like. Summer is on it's way though and I can't wait to do some walking. It's been a very rainy winter, and spring so far.

The T-Tapp dvd's look like just the thing, but they don't seem to be available in Aust. so once I get my orders for homeschool stuff for next year out the way I might get one then.

I always eat too much when I'm pregnant or nursing. I wouldn't mind working out just how much I do need, and have thought about seeing a nutritionist about that, but it's just another thing to try to get round to doing Hopefully long walks will do the trick.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version