Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: 6yo always has something in mouth... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

My 7yo is still sucking her thumb. Her 6yo sister had quit when 7yo was at school all day last year, but since both are home, both are sucking again.

When we sit down to read, I stop reading if thumbs go into mouths. If they are watching a video, I pause it until they're stop sucking their thumbs. In the van, when they're bored of their books, drawing, etc it seems like we're contantly nagging: "No thumb." (ThumbSuckStop, hot pepper sauce, bandaids, etc have not worked, but perhaps I need to be more consistent with the BandAids and add an incentive if the BandAid stays on all day...).

My real problem is that if 6yo is not sucking her thumb, she is chewing on something, usually some kind of string or ribbon, a rubberband, a necklace, a paperclip, whatever she finds... Yesterday she chewed up her pencil...even when she'd quit sucking her thumb last school year, she always had something in her mouth. If I give her gum, she pulls it out to play with it, too and then I have to take it away...

Thoughts, ideas? This has been annoying for a while but is really starting to make us angry so I need to know if at 6 and 7 it is something I can (still) expect them to grow out of or if it is something that I need to gently correct (and how).

TIA!

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Stephanie, my 11 year old still puts things in his mouth. It's a sensory thing for him. Some people need that oral stimulation. I would find alternate things for your 6yo to put in his mouth; there are chew rings for older kids. Also to keep hands busy, give your 6 and 7 yo things to play with during read alouds; we call these fidgets. It helps focus the hands on something so that the ears can listen (an OT suggested this).

Just think of all the adults who still chew on pens, nails, etc. And,

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well, having just come home from the dentist.. one suggestion for a thumb/finger sucker is to give them a toothbrush and let them brush their teeth.. no toothpaste, no extra water.. just a toothbrush to stick in their mouth and brush with. Keeps the hand and the mouth busy and isn't gonna hurt dental health either

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

KC in TX wrote:
I would find alternate things for your 6yo to put in his mouth; there are chew rings for older kids. Also to keep hands busy, give your 6 and 7 yo things to play with during read alouds; we call these fidgets. It helps focus the hands on something so that the ears can listen (an OT suggested this).

We did the same thing with our now 13 year old. He's mostly outgrown it, but I still notice he has his fingers in his mouth when he's tired.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, this thread is disheartening. My almost 6-yo is constantly having something in his mouth. He's not a thumb sucker, but his mouth has to always be preoccupied. The latest thing is sucking on his shirt.

Sigh. Perhaps we can turn this thread into "How does Mommy deal with the emotions when she sees the constant mouth habits?"

I like the toothbrush idea, except I can just see it rammed into the back of his throat. Too jumpy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Here's one product that you can get. There are others on this site. I've also seen something like the spiraly phone cord that's used. It goes on like a necklace so it's always there for the child.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Jenn, what about those little brushes that go on the tip of a finger?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

JennGM wrote:
Well, this thread is disheartening. Sigh. Perhaps we can turn this thread into "How does Mommy deal with the emotions when she sees the constant mouth habits?"

Anyone? Anyone?
I'll try to calm down and think about this...right now we're caught up in the emotion of trying to figure out "Is this normal?!" "What is wrong with her?!" "What did I do wrong?!"

I took an old teething ring and put the soft beads on a shoestring to make a necklace. She has something chewy + the string to chew on, depending on the 'texture' she is looking for...

I love the idea of fidgets and have a list of some I want to get for story-time, computer/TV time (which is not every day...although I'm not sure why I feel like I have to clarify that...) and a few for the van...

BUT

I'm concerned that a chewy girl may chew on a fidget. I don't want to buy a "Tangle", for example, and end up with a chewed up toy for the trash.    Do I just get things that can be chewed (we have no Lauri foam in the house for this reason) or is there a process (is it even possible) to re-direct her 'oral stimulation' needs to be met through her hands with fidgets and other sensory activities?

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well I'll step out and say it's normal.. all the strings and ribbons and such on my clothes tended to be chewed.. ends of pencils too.. until I was quite a bit older.. probably 9ish for the the ends of ribbons and such.. but pencils I know was much longer.. because it was during classtime that I needed that extra something.

-Sir Walter Scott

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Some kids are mouth kids and others are not. We discussed this in a child development class I took several years ago.

You should be able to gently correct, though, at age 6 - some things are not good to chew!

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

My ds chewed his shirts from the age of 5 until he was at least 9. I think they do outgrow it. But we did stay on his case about it. It got easier once we started homeschooling, and I could hound, I mean remind, him more frequently. The real downer is that I don't have any shirts to hand down to his little brother who is coming into that size now.

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version