Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Did you have a favorite toy growing up? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Mine was a Polly Pockets doll. This is not the same Polly Pockets doll that is available now.

Mine was a cloth/fabric doll, about 12 inches long. She had yellow yarn hair in pigtails, and wore a dark pink dress with a pink checked apron. Her apron had seven pockets sewed around it, and in each pocket was a piece of paper with a message typed on it. I don't remember all the messages, but one of them was "help mom clean the house". It just occurred to me that those might not have been the original notes...

I told her all my secrets. I vividly remember her sitting on my bed when I was still in high school, but I have no idea whatever happened to her.

What was your favorite toy growing up?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Annie Doll

She was a raggedy ann doll (different from the standard) made for me by a great aunt who had arthritis in her hands fairly badly from what I was told.. but she wanted to make me that doll anyway.

She was given to me on my first birthday and was the toy I took everywhere when I was little and lived on my bed when I was older and has to be packed away now because the fabric is worn away in spots on her face..

My grammy had repaired/patched the hands/arms, feet/legs at least once (and I think twice) but the face.. not really repairable unless you made a new face

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I don't think I had one absolute favorite toy. I liked to mix and match so many of them to make up stories. I had a favorite Barbie Doll, though. Until I got her my favorite was which ever doll was the newest to me; after no other doll took her place as the star of my stories. I named her Elizabeth. Her "soul mate" was a Derek doll (a dark-haired Ken) that I named Nathaniel.

I don't know how many times I re-enacted "Wuthering Heights" after seeing the version with Laurence Olivier and "The Black Swan". She was packed away when I was in high school, but her head got split from the neck joint to the chin. Oh, well...

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Holly Hobbie! and a red teddy bear and my pink blanket (quilted by my grandmother) that had the 3bears in scenes on the back. ..oh yeah..and my smiley face pillow
sigh!
we do grow up too fast...

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I was never a toy kind of kid. Never played with dolls. I mostly played outside with my dog, my cat, and later my horse. In fact, when I think back nearly all of my childhood memories are outside. I liked to swim and climb trees a lot and I recall playing with a magnifying glass often (starting fires and such).When forced to play indoors my brother and I would build elaborate tunnels out of chairs and blankets and pretend we were alligators and slices of bread were fish...I cannot remember a single toy I had that I cared about except maybe an ant farm, my Lite Brite and my Spirograph.
Yes. I was officially a weird kid. Some things never change!LOL!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

My favorite was a teddy bear that was purchased while on vacation in San Francisco when I was 4. He was sitting up high on a shelf with a rose wrapped around his hand. He cost $13 (I paid for $6). I named him Corduroy after the bear in the book (my favorite growing up). He slept with me every night until I got married. Now he hangs out on our dresser and the girls are allowed to play gently with him. I have sewed numerous holes that have developed over the years. But for a bear that is 30 years old he looks pretty good

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Okay, I am about to reveal my age but my absolute favorite toy ever was my Cabbage Patch kid. Her name was Carol Ann and she had red hair and I LOVEDDDD her. I had a very privileged childhood and we were the only grandchildren on both sides (yes, sadly I have no cousins). Every Christmas my poor mother had to contend with ALL the extended family bringing literally boxes and boxes of toys to our house and every year we were overwhelmed by all the toys but not the year I got my CP doll.

That year we were living out of state and my mom could not find a cabbage patch doll anywhere so she called my aunt. My aunt still tells the story of how she stood in line at toys r us and finally got a hold of the doll but she was so disappointed because she had red hair. Being hispanic and not seeing too many redheads she thought I would be disappointed. She shipped it anyways and my mom finally put her foot down and my brother got another special toy and they put the rest into a savings account.

On Christmas morning, my brother and I just sat there, mouth opened and stared at the empty living room. We could not believe that we only had 3 toys. We got over it when we saw our "special' toys. When I opened Carol Ann I cried for joy. I was excited and I loved her red hair and her "american" name. (I have a very hispanic, hard to pronounce in English name, thus Mimi) I loved that Christmas and my mom does too because she says that is the year she "grew a backbone"

Sorry for the long post, did not realize how long that story really was

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

My favorite was my baby doll, Thumbelina. She was not a genuine one (this was many years ago if anyone remembers the commercials) but I thought she was just as great as the real thing. She was one of my "kids" during the many hours I played house and practiced my dream of being a real mom one day. She was my favorite doll and remained at my parents' house for the grandkids to enjoy but when my mom downsized a couple of years ago, she came home to me. She is wearing a baby outfit of my oldest dd (22yo) and is in my bedroom right now. My youngest isn't into dolls at all, much to my disappointment.
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

lapazfarm wrote:
I was never a toy kind of kid.... I cannot remember a single toy I had that I cared about except maybe an ant farm, my Lite Brite and my Spirograph...

I'm with Theresa, I don't really remember any toys---we didn't have much, but we must have had toys....I just don't remember....

My childhood memories are all outdoors. We lived in the country--and we were always making forts and trails and teepee's in the woods--my dad is part Shawnee--so we always were indians---no matter what we were playing---We had a huge garden down the road at my grandparents farm, and we worked there nearly everyday in the good months---we always has a collection of bugs and frogs and every kind of living creature we could catch, using them to make zoos.

I do remember that my brother, 5 years younger than me, was my pet monkey---I made a leash, and he would do tricks--I need to check and see if he remembers this! (Maybe this makes him my favorite childhood "toy" LOL

Now I need to go call my mom and see if we had any toys?
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

We played outside a lot, and I didn't play with dolls, but I do remember loving my Fisher Price Yellow House. My sister had the Castle, and the royal and common children were friends :-)

Also, a lot of board games: Careers, Shenanigans, Life, Sorry (to name a few).

Fun Thread!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I had 'Big Ted' I received him at Christmas time when I was three..I still remember lying in bed one night and mum coming in and saying that Santa was at the door and wanted to swap my dummy [still using one! ] for a present...and it was 'Big Ted'

I treasured that teddy bear always. Unfortunately it came to a sad end 6 years ago when our Pharoah Hound got to it when the children were playing with it, and tore it to shreads...this grown lady was devastated!!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

my baby dear one doll, Kimmy. Still have her, but she needs fixing and restuffing. my brothers would say "Kimmy is sitting on the couch" instead of your doll.
my favorite (as a baby-since it's in most family movie scenes with me) was a wooden carousel you would up and the horses would spin gently down the pole.
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Cuddles! She was a soft (stuffed animal-type body with molded plastic face) baby doll my grandmother gave me when I was a baby. Cuddles was my baby when Scott K., the boy around the corner, and I pretended we were her mommy and daddy. She rode in my bike basket. I suppose that's why my mom ran her through the washer a few too many times, so she lost her pink plushy look and is kind of a grey/pink now. Her face is still nice, though.

Now my daughter has her...of course, she sees her as an old toy, but I've explained how important Cuddles is.

Right behind Cuddles is Jingle Teddy, a bear I've also had since birth. He's got a jingle bell sewn inside his ear (now you know he's old!) and orange eyes. He still looks at us with love and wisdom.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Well, I guess I would have to say, not really. I know I had a baby doll when I was young, but that disappeared. I had a hand-me-down Barbie doll (one of the older ones with blonde hair in a pony-tail and curly bangs.) But I didn't really like playing with her, per se, I liked playing nurse to my doll and animals (I think I had a couple of stuffed ones,) or designing houses for them. My favorite gifts were books. I do remember being quite excited the Christmas I was 7. We were at my grandparents in Cushing, OK, and I got the "ancerina Doll".
Hmm...maybe my favorite thing was my bike. I loved to go bike riding.

Thanks for bringing back some dusty memories, Paula!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Oops! Where did that "D" go? It should say Dancerina!

Stacy
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote molly

I had a doll, she was pink with white polka dots, I think her name was drowsy.

fun thread!
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

molly wrote:
I had a doll, she was pink with white polka dots, I think her name was drowsy.

fun thread!

Oh Molly, I had a Drowsy, too!

Looks like she's worth some money if you still have her.

Do you remember her sayings when you pulled the string?

Mommy, I'm sleepy!
I want another drink of water!
Mommy, kiss me goodnight!
I go sleep now... night night!
Mommy love baby?

Probably a bad idea to get me started on nostalgic toys...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Love the pic, Mary!!

Theresa I can relate to your love of outdoors and animals, I was very tomboyish in so many ways and loved making fun out of seed pods, leaves, sticks that would entertain me for days! It's a good use of imagination, I reckon.

and water..could make a lot of fun with water!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

lambchopwife
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote lambchopwife

I had two favorite toys, my Dancerella and my first Cabbage Patch. I guess I could also throw in my bike, a pink Huffy 55. I used to ride it all over the neighborhood with my roller skates on! By the way riding your bike with roller skates is NOT a good idea, I learned the hard way after running into a parked car. Hey does anyone remember the Mandy dolls?

Cheryl

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote molly

MAry, you found her! sadly I no longer have her, my brotehrs buried her head in the yard

Yes, I do remember her saying that, now you remind me
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version