Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: dolls Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I somewhat reluctantly gave my kids my old Barbie's for Christmas and dh and I are to the point of regretting our decision, now.

One just broke (hooray!) and while my dd wants a new one to replace it, I want to take this opportunity to find a better doll for her and her sister to play with...

They like combing their hair. They like changing their clothes. It would be great if I could find a doll that can get wet, as well. We have Corolle baby dolls and I see they have Miss Corolle "Les Cheries" with all vinyl bodies - hair that can be washed. $65 for these and that's without a change of clothes.    Anyone know about this kind or have another recommendation?

Updated to add: My girls would love these Only Hearts Princess dolls...I'm not sure about the soft bodies, but they seem to be more in our price range...

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

My daughters like the Only Hearts dolls. I thing Grandma got them for the girls at Target? They are quite nice, cute, and modest. The soft bodies haven't been an issue here, but we don't take them in the tub or get them wet. I'm not sure how that would go.

God bless,
Christine

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Stephanie:
My girls use Barbies for re-enacting family-life and the Barbies are mommies. Baby dolls are obviously babies. And, then there are the 18" girl dolls, which are for pretend little girl life....which is similar to what you're linking above.   Although the Only Hearts Dolls look a bit more like tweens/teens to me.    Those options above aren't really "adult-versions".

How do your girls use the dolls? What role do they play? Are you trying to replace that same role?   Consider what role they want the doll to play. Is the Barbie a mommy, a teen, or a small girl? Or all?

Throwing another option out there for you.....as your girls are at a good age for.......
**Some type of 18" doll.......there are a few threads in the archives about them.....the different brands, etc.   And, this thread: Playing with Dolls will give some food for thought and also has lots of the alternatives to American Girl.

They usually aren't cheap, BUT, they are very good quality and will last for a girl's lifetime. The hair is beautiful and plentiful and the bodies are soft. Gorgeous faces, etc.

We have one of the vinyl body long-hair Corolle dolls that you linked to above (I love her the most I think), but after the 18" dolls arrived, it wasn't the fav anymore. They much prefer the 18" dolls.

Obviously, this is a different "game of play"....than a Barbie type play (Barbies become Mommies and 18" dolls are little girls)....but what you're describing.....combing hair, changing clothes, etc.....is what my girls do with the 18" dolls. It doesn't sound like your girls set them up as villages with myriad of people/dolls and have them act like mommies.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mamamoon
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 31 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Mamamoon

i don't know if it is worth checking, but i found some only hearts dolls from target on clearance for around 4 dollars yesterday~
lisa

mcchatty
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 31 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote mcchatty

My girls love the only hearts dolls- we don't have the princess outfits, but we have several others.   They are a good size for a doll house.
mcchatty
Back to Top View mcchatty's Profile Search for other posts by mcchatty

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

SuzanneG wrote:

How do your girls use the dolls? What role do they play? Are you trying to replace that same role?   Consider what role they want the doll to play. Is the Barbie a mommy, a teen, or a small girl? Or all?

Obviously, this is a different "game of play"....than a Barbie type play (Barbies become Mommies and 18" dolls are little girls)....but what you're describing.....combing hair, changing clothes, etc.....is what my girls do with the 18" dolls. It doesn't sound like your girls set them up as villages with myriad of people/dolls and have them act like mommies.

You are right - they do not have the Barbies act like mommies. They are princesses. They'll have a "ball" and one of them will marry the prince (my brother had a Ken doll...). My almost 6yo thought the Corolle ballerina was beautiful and also loves the way this Madame Alexander doll looks, but asked if she has a princess dress. They don't think the Gotz 18" are pretty and don't like the AG dolls (teeth). They think the P31 dolls are pretty and so are the Beautiful Girlhood dolls - but, again, they want princess dresses for them.

So, the question I need to answer is...do I (should I) allow / encourage them to play "princess" with dolls. They've always been attracted to fairy tales and have probably been allowed to watch too many Disney movies . I'm trying to direct their interest towards how a real princess behaves...we read a lot of 'real' fairy tales - beautifully illustraated versions, while trying to avoid the Disney versions at the library - and I try to teach them stories about royal saints - princesses and queens who loved God and served the most powerful King - Jesus.

I'd love them to love the 18" little girls and play with them like little girls - but they will inevitably become princesses. Even their baby dolls, when played with, become the newborn "Princess Aurora". While I'd like to direct them towards a different kind of play with different kinds of dolls, maybe I need to think of what they're doing as 'educational': letting them "narrate" the fairy tales we read with their dolls.

Guess tha would mean that I am looking at the "Only Hearts" to replace the Barbies b/c they look easier to dress, pose, and their clothes (even the "mermaid" outfit) are way more modest than the Barbies.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Stephanie_Q wrote:

So, the question I need to answer is...do I (should I) allow / encourage them to play "princess" with dolls.

i am totally confused (that happens a lot!)

why would playing princesses be something that would be a concern?

(and just wanted to add - have you looked at the Faith and Friends Dolls? i don't know if they have a princess outfit - but they are very girly and cute - and it probably wouldn't be too hard to sew some - or find someone who does - if there are no gowns already available.)
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2009 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

cactus mouse wrote:
Stephanie_Q wrote:

So, the question I need to answer is...do I (should I) allow / encourage them to play "princess" with dolls.

why would playing princesses be something that would be a concern?

From a practical standpoint, they end up with a "spoiled princess" attitude. That is one of the reasons I try to avoid Disney Princesses - especially Ariel and Jasmine. It is also why I try to focus on how a real princess should behave (book recommendations, anyone?) and talk about the saints who were royalty.

From a "philosophy of education" standpoint, I'd prefer them to be having nice tea parties with the 18" dolls others mentioned and pretending to be mommies taking care of their baby dolls, or playing with their doll house family rather than playing princess all. the. time. They're 6 and 7 and it just seems like they grew up too fast. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the Faith & Friends doll link, too (looks like they're 14" dolls - smaller but cuter than the P31 dolls). I will keep them in mind!

Baby boy due 10.13

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 31 2009 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Stephanie_Q wrote:
I try to focus on how a real princess should behave (book recommendations, anyone?) and talk about the saints who were royalty.

The Princess and the Kiss

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Stephanie_Q wrote:
It is also why I try to focus on how a real princess should behave (book recommendations, anyone?) and talk about the saints who were royalty.

Do you have a few of the "story-book-type-saint-books"? Not just the ones with a picture and a 1 or 2 paragraph biography. But, some good meaty STORIES that have exciting stories about those princess saints? You could focus on reading these, and encourage them to put on a play or dress up and do playettes for daddy, or other fun activities....I'm not saying force-it....but you'd be "encouraging" for awhile to see if anything takes root.

Saints and Heroes for Kids
Once Upon a Time Saints
More Once Upon a Time Saints
The Book of Saints and Heroes by Lang........Margaret of Scotland, Eliz of Hungary, Colette and Dorothea are the female saints in this one.
Golden Legend of Young Saints...maybe a bit "old" for them, but worth looking into.

taking into consideration their sensitivity-level of course......

I think there are a couple Windeatt novels that may be princesses???

Maybe read the real fairy tales to them....They may be interested in some of the details that are left out of the movies that would stimulate lots of conversation.    They are much more exciting! There are a couple threads in the archives about the different Fairy Tale books that are out there.    The Blue Fairy Book and the The Red Fairy Book are available on-line. And, of course....there are a lot of beautiful picture books from the library of those same stories.

Quote:
From a "philosophy of education" standpoint, I'd prefer them to be having nice tea parties with the 18" dolls others mentioned and pretending to be mommies taking care of their baby dolls, or playing with their doll house family rather than playing princess all. the. time.

What about brainstorming ways you can "gently encourage" this??.....maybe new teacups and saucers from the thrift store for each girl....or start a collection. Make invitations, Set a date, you participate. Special tablecloth JUST for tea parties. Just the little things may peak their interest and they'd think it was fun and then do it on their own.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

The True Princess
I'd Be Your Princess
His Little Princess
My Child, My Princess

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Quick, Quick Quick!!!

Run to Target. Mine had the Only Hearts dolls on clearance this morning for 75% off. That made them under $5 per doll. They really are very nice- very sweet. There was still a nice selection left at my Target. Untll I bought them all

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Joann just posted on Goodreads about a picture book she just read, that should be added to the above-list of "princess books":
The Way Home: A Princess Story by Max Lucado

Princess Anna, adopted by the king in her infancy and now a young woman, is intrigued by the world that lies beyond the lush, green hills of the kingdom. When she seeks to satisfy her curiosity, she falls under the influence of the Lowlanders and begins to resemble their haggard style. Never to let a child slip away that easily, the king follows her, and trades his life for hers in order to provide her with a way back home. Despite the king's sacrifice, the choice to return home is ultimately Anna's to make.

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 3:13am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

My eldest dd (now 9) has always had a fascination with princesses. I figured she was old enough to read this book about the lives of real princesses. We've read a lot together...not sure if your dd would be ready for this, but it really opened her eyes to the fact that the lives of most real princesses are fraught with much difficulty.

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version