Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Planned Pregnancy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 27 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

I'm filling out the questionnaire for my first OB appt. One question has thrown me for a loop. <insert rolling my eyes>

Is this a planned pregnancy? If "yes" explain.

Does that seem strange to you (too)? What would the reason be for that question? A yes answer is so strange that it needs to be explained.   

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2009 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I don't usually answer those questions...... I just write NA next to it.

And, there is an eye-roll emoticon...... It's called wacky which is what that question is

Ooooohhhhhh, look at your signature line, Michaela.....it says, "Baby due in February"!!!!!!!!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2009 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

That is weird that they'd want you to explain a yes.

I think depending on my mood that I'd be likely to explain it by telling them to keep any methods of ending pregnancies including birth control to themselves that I do not want to hear it. And since I don't use those then yes I did plan to be pregnant sooner or later.

and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I think that's horrificly invasive of your privacy and probably wouldn't answer it...but perhaps a "yes, by God" would be a simple, direct answer.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I bet ya it's to see if you used contraception that failed and then it would probably go back to some drug companies stats, or something like that (my dh works for the gov't I'm use to hearing about stupid questions )

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Babs
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2009 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote Babs

I am looking at this question from a nursing point of view and I think the purpose might be to get information from a different type of patient, not the married, stable type. Perhaps they are trying to find out the amount of support the patient can expect from spouse, boyfriend, family, etc. Often there is not just no support, but the patient may be completely surrounded by people trying to get her to end the pregnancy for their own selfish reasons. Women with unplanned pregnancies are often at great risk for physical abuse. Also, many "unplanned" pregnancies are young women who may have been or are still doing things that have put the baby at risk to all kinds of problems. They may be trying to document risks and assess what help may be needed.

I don't think they intended this question to get information from you, but it has to be on the form for everyone. When health professionals speak of unplanned pregnancy they are usually not referring to families. They are referring to pregnancies that are at high risk of neglect, abuse, drugs, the list goes on and on. Unfortunately that is the reality of what they see every day and I think they are trying to get information without asking questions directly, which will most likely be denied. It is surprising how much information patients will offer for this type of a question, instead of more direct questions. I think the "if yes explain" part might just be to make the unplanned pregnancy patient feel more comfortable offering information, since even the "planned pregnancies" need to explain.

The two main purposes of all of the documenting on medical forms is to find out what is different about this particular patient and what needs to be done which is out of the ordinary; and to document everything you can for legal reasons, and in obstetrics, legal risk is among the highest.

I am sure you are a dream patient for your obstetrician. Having to focus almost exclusively on medical issues instead of all of the social problems he deals with all day long would be a great problem to have.

But if I take off my nursing hat, I really like Colleen's answer, "yes, by God." Congratulations and best wishes for an uneventful pregnancy.

God Bless,
Barb

Back to Top View Babs's Profile Search for other posts by Babs

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2009 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

missionfamily wrote:
I think that's horrificly invasive of your privacy and probably wouldn't answer it...but perhaps a "yes, by God" would be a simple, direct answer.

Love it, Colleen!!

Congratulations, Michaela!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Unfortunately, being pregnant is a risk factor for abuse. Sad, isn't it? I think they are just trying to find high risk patients. Our clinic always asks if I feel safe - seems like a silly question for me, but I know there are other moms out there they do not feel safe and if they aren't asked won't volunteer the information.

I do use any such opportunities to give a positive message! I think your answer is perfect.

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

I do have to add, the need to explain a yes is very strange. You might ask them about it.

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

That's just it. I can understand why extra counseling may be needed for a "no" answer. (The office may want to counsel about ways to prevent, options , or to ensure there is no extra stress or abuse in the home. There are questions about domestic abuse, too.)

It gave me pause see extra space to explain why a pregnancy is planned.

Since this is a mandatory "educational appointment" with a nurse, I plan to ask.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2009 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

My sense of humor asserted itself about the question last night.. and I thought you might get a giggle too..

let's see.. explain a planned pregnancy, well my dh and I agreed that we wanted to try for another child and we prayed to God about it and we set a date night and I went and bought something pretty to wear and..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote amyable

JodieLyn wrote:
let's see.. explain a planned pregnancy, well my dh and I agreed that we wanted to try for another child and we prayed to God about it and we set a date night and I went and bought something pretty to wear and..

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Love the answers people have come up with!

I was thinking one could write this:

Yes. "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you..." (Jeremiah 1:5).

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

"Yes. Planned by God. Please see Him for details."
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Becky Le
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 28 2009 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Le

I'm going to give a totally different take on this....maybe they are prompting to see if any fertility treatments were used that they may not be aware of. If, for example, you used Clomid to get pregnant your OB would want to be on alert for multiples or any other odd symptoms. Just a guess.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Sigh...don't you hate these questions? The hospital where 3 of my children were born always made me answer a series of questions about if I'm afraid of being hit, if I have enough food, etc. I understand why they are asking, but it sure is a depressing way to start the first OB appts.

I'd probably just not answer and see if they ask you. If they do, then I'd tell them I think its a weird question (which I absolutely think its strange how its worded).

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

It does seem strange to be expected to 'explain' a planned pregnancy.

I think that I'd be inclined to write down 'we wanted another child' and leave it at that.

[However, someone might have realized that 'wanted' children in unstable environments are actually at the highest risk of abuse. Wanting a baby so as to have someone to love you, to be grownup or to save a failing relationship can be danger signs.]

It's not the weirdest question I've ever come across, though. The winner is still a question from the questionnaire my husband and I had to fill out separately during our parish marriage preparation.

If I remember correctly it was "Is pregnancy a part of your life?" or something to that effect.

I assumed that it was a clumsy attempt to ask if I was pregnant and answered 'no' but my husband was completely confused. I was correct.

(To make matters more confusing my mom was pregnant at the time so I could have honestly answered yes.
My baby brother was soooo cute at my wedding!)
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2009 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Michaela wrote:
Since this is a mandatory "educational appointment" with a nurse, I plan to ask.

I'd leave it blank to make sure that you have a chance to ask. I'd be interested in reading the reason they give.

Congrats!

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

JodieLyn wrote:
My sense of humor asserted itself about the question last night.. and I thought you might get a giggle too..

This is my favorite by far!!! I am still laughing!!!

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I'll admit it. While I'd probbbaaaabbbllly leave it blank, you can bet what I'd want to do is even more spicy than Jodie's response.

"What, you want me to give you pointers?" (after all should I get pregnant again---please God--it'd be pregnancy #7.)..."weelll, let's see...first DH usually gives me the wiggly eyebrow look--you know the one where he indicates he wants to go back to the bedroom and put in some serious baby-making practice?--and then, I put him off for a couple of hours til after the dc are in bed...but then, WWHOOOOOEEEEE!!!!!!!!! Then it's Katie bar the door! We're off to the races!"

(imagine all that said in a very thick southern accent, with a hint of the redneck about it...).

LOL

Okay, okay, I know. Its a serious question, but for goodness' sake, why on earth do we have to answer these ridiculous questions. It makes me want to go in there for every visit with a sandwich board sign on, with all of the answers already on it. Especially if I have to take the dc with me. Of course, now that I've got two readers (and one of whom has NO volume control...lol--I can imagine how loudly some of my responses would get broadcast...lol...followed by some really loud "What does *that* mean?!?").

Hopefully, the above paragraphs weren't too much...lol. But that'd be what I'd *want* to say...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version