Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Delivering baby alone? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky J
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 13 2009 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Becky J

Has anyone on this forum ever had to deliver their baby alone (at the hospital), say because their husband had to watch their older children? It looks like this is the situation I will be in in a few months, and I'm apprehensive about it. Please let me know if you've had this experience and how you prepared for it or coped with it.

Thanks!
Becky J
Back to Top View Becky J's Profile Search for other posts by Becky J

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

I have never had this experience, Becky. But my first thought was do you have the funds to hire a doula to be there with you if your dh must stay home with the kids?

Are your kids very young and you feel uncomfortable leaving them with a friend?    

I would be apprehensive, too...I am praying for you!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2009 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

That would have been my first suggestion as well.. if you don't have a friend or female relative that would be with you (perhaps someone who couldnt' deal with the kids but would be with you) than a doula would be the way to go.. it's someone who would be there FOR YOU.. who would help you with laboring, with communication with the hospital etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

If it's any comfort, my mom's friend delivered many of her 16 babies alone for that very reason. She had happy, healthy babies and wasn't too traumatized by being alone.

Ask someone you trust to help. Even casual acquaintances
are usually glad to help with such a happy task!

If it happens that way, don't forget that L&D nurses are awesome! And make sure we know when you go in, you'll have loads of prayer support.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

Becky, I was in that situation with our 5th child. We have recently moved to a new area. At the time we did not know (trust) many people to watch the other children. I had to go to the hospital at night, so my dh had to drive back home to stay with the children. Honestly it was not one of my fondest deliveries, I did have slight complications shortly after my son was born. My husband could not be with me, so I had to go through it w/ out him. Becky, I guess it depends on your personality. For me,if it's a choice between leaving the children with a stranger, I would most definately have the baby alone again. That's just my temperment, I don't mind being alone through the labor, I try to focus and unite myself with God. But I would never fault anyone for needing something else.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

Babs
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2009 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Babs

Becky,

I am an L&D nurse and I would talk to my doctor before hand. Your doc knows all of the nurses where you will deliver and when he calls you in to the charge nurse, he can request someone who might be best suited for your situation.   

I did have one patient whose husband was out of town when she delivered and fortunately I was able to only have her instead of the usual two patients.

Do you know any nurses? They would probably be happy to go with you.

God bless,
Barb
Back to Top View Babs's Profile Search for other posts by Babs

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote mary

I wouldn't suggest doing it alone because I wouldn't do any serious medical procedure alone. If something unexpected were to happen, every patient really needs to have a family member or doula present to speak for us if we are unable to do so for any reason. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to this issue because my sil was over-anesthetized during a routine endoscopy.

Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

mary wrote:
I wouldn't suggest doing it alone because I wouldn't do any serious medical procedure alone. If something unexpected were to happen, every patient really needs to have a family member or doula present to speak for us if we are unable to do so for any reason.

This would be my primary concern as well.

In the case of L & D, I think it especially wise.

I do NOT want to get into the pro/con of home birth, but it is a consideration IF you feel your medical backround is suitable for it.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version