Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: rheumatoid arthritis Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bayleyfamily
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 11 2009 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote bayleyfamily

I've been experiencing REALLY BAD aches and pains/muscle joint swelling. My doc just diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis.   It makes sense because i've had these symptoms off and on for about 9 years. I've had 5 babies in this time and just thought it was hormones. My question: anyone else living with this? They want to put me on prednisone short term to get inflammation under control and then switch to different long term med. I'm breastfeeding my 6 mo old and worried about side effects of medications or having to wean him altogether. The pain is so intense that I can't pick him up in the mornings so I need to start some treatment soon. Any advice would be appreciated!!

God Bless,

Kelly B.

Back to Top View bayleyfamily's Profile Search for other posts by bayleyfamily

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 11 2009 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

flax seed oil can have an anti-inflammatory effect on joints.. and pineapple and ginger (high doses of ginger aren't good for pregnancy) are both anti-inflammatories..

But there are a couple of sites you can look up what Dr. Hale says about any medications.. he's the leading expert in what passes into bre@st milk and if that's a problem.

Dr. Hale's website

and

Kellymom's site

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

I've had this since my early baby yrs. it was really bad 3-4 yrs ago .
a big help to me is willow I bath in it and drink a tea too but you can get tinctures too .
also no caffine it really helps promote it . I also take extra calcium and vit D . the biggest trigger for me is weather humid and rainy is the worst cold snow is not so bad but hot & dry is the best . I can even tell when a storm is headed my bones just ach . Movement really helps too . My confessor is 80 yrs and we always see him doing arm stretches in church during mass . He always has a walk outside the church beforehand as well .
yoga and stretches work wonders and small walks .
In regards to herbs so far willow is the best I've found so far .

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I have a disease similar to RA for which I have taken various medications over the years. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to talk.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2009 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Nettles!! I just remembered earlier tonight..

Nettle study

They combined Nettle with an arthritis med that was at a too low dose to work on it's own.. and it gave better relief than the med at proper dose did. It seems to me if it works that well with such a low dose rx med.. that perhaps nettle works just fine all by itself but there's no one to pay for a study to prove it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 14 2009 at 5:23am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My MIL has coped with this condition for decades. She, too, says movement is key. Her house is very tidy because picking things up and putting them away helps her stay active. (I'd bet you could substitute toddler monitoring, though! ) She takes Celebrex - this drug is very hard on the liver, though - certainly I'd try milder therapies before going with that one.

Sending prayers...

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2009 at 5:47am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I was only reading last night about a herb that is good for this - Gotu Kola or otherwise known as Pennywort.

In Australia it is well known as an effective arthritis herb in mainstream media etc, I think that is because a well known person was cured from a bad case of arthritis that was deemed incurable.

This is what I read last night:

"A lady, in Victoria, ordered some plants to be sent by post, as she was desperate to get some relief, from the rheumatoid arthritis that had cripped her for 25 years. She described the pain she was in as: 'hell'. She also suffered high blood pressure. After 2 weeks of using the leaves, nearly all pain was gone, her blood pressure had normalised and she could sleep almost the whole night through." from How Can I Use Herbs Daily In My Life?

This is one of many examples in the book but I just perused forward and found the story that made this herb famous Australia wide, if you are interested at all in these pages, I can email you a copy. Just pm me if you are.

This is a herb best eaten fresh but the herb dried can be made into a tea. I've made up an oil infused with this herb and my mother swears by it and is slowly draining me of my bottle!!!

If taking it fresh, Isabell has this to say:

"Start with 1-2 leaves and stems. Do it daily. Make, taking gotu kola, a daily habit. Write a note and stick it to the kitchen table or fridge saying, "Have I taken my gotu kola today?" Have the plant growing near the back door, so it is seen, daily, and is close by to pick. I always suggest to people to take it with their breakfast, each morning, although it can be taken at any time of the day. Feedback, from several people taking it at the end of the day, was that they had so much energy, they could not go to sleep. One lady, said she had so much get up and go, she spring-cleaned her cupboards, in the middle of the night.

As the leaves are slightly bitter, this can deter some people, however if it is chopped up over breakfast cereal or toast, the bitterness is barely noticed. Just remind yourself how valuable the herb is, to rejuvenate your body and brain, and it is worth taking a few seconds, to do it daily."

"Leaves can be eaten dried, too or made as a tea with 1/2 teasp of herb to one cup of boiling water; adding honey or lemon juice to improve the flavour."

Isabell also says:

"People who have come to the farm for the plant, have said their doctor recommended the fresh plant be taken, for quicker results, rather than tablets, etc."

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

bayleyfamily
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 14 2009 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote bayleyfamily

Thanks for all the information! I'm going to see my doc today and I want to discuss alternatives to hard meds and herbal therapies. I've been drinking green tea and during mass on Sunday, it was like a switch had been turned off...I felt about 90% better. Unfortunately, I didn't feel so great the next day...i'm still going to keep drinking the tea though. Can't hurt, right? I'll be happy just to be able to take care of my family and take kiddos to the park again. They've all been very supportive and understanding but I feel bad that i'm kind of ruining their summer by not being able to go go go.

God Bless you all, Kelly
Back to Top View bayleyfamily's Profile Search for other posts by bayleyfamily

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2009 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with this last summer, and she has a little one, too- so that was hard.

Removing gluten from her diet has made the arthritis almost completely disappear. It turns out that RA is one of the top five symptoms of gluten intolerance. PM me if you want more info- I have lots of GF book & website recommendations. I just don't want to overwhelm you with ideas, since we are all chiming in with different answers!

and many prayers!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 14 2009 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

Have you been to a Rheumatologist? My hubby was diagnosed with RA eight years ago, at age 35. He had bilateral inflamation (a necessity for true RA diagnosis) in 35 joints and positive RF, which is also necessary for RA. You may want to see a Rheumatologist, because there are a lot of illnesses which can mask as RA, even with the bilateral inflamation and positive RF. My hubby took methotrexate for five years. The thing which helped him the most was losing weight. He was 280 lbs when he was diagnosed and lost 90 lbs through low carbing and exercise. (He's 6'1") He has kept it all off and continues to exercise, stretch, and do yoga every day. He was able to go off the methotrexate three years ago, and has been in remission since then. He sees his Rheumatologist only every 6 months now. (It was every 1-3 months for a very long time.) The Rheumatologist told him that a large percentage of adults who are diagnosed with RA are disabled within 15 years. That was a huge motivating factor for my hubby to lose the weight and exercise to keep those joints lubricated. He also has Osteoarthritis, and takes Naproxin occasionally for stiffness, but otherwise is doing really well with it at the moment. It's a lot of work, and could change at any time, so we're really thankful!
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version