Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: abandoned nest w/ eggs left??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 29 2009 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote monica

a house finch made a nest and laid 3-4 eggs in our hanging fern. she sat on the nest and one egg hatched, but the past few days the one hatched bird has been missing and she hasnt been back to the nest. there are still a few eggs left and i dont know if she has abandoned them or if they were duds or what. when they are all hatched and fledged, i need to repot the fern as the current pot is cracked and leaks water.

how do you know when a bird is not coming back? what should i do with the nest and eggs? could this have happened because i water the fern? i tried really hard to not touch the nest or disturb the eggs.
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2009 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

How long after the one egg hatched did she leave? If the hatched nestling was old enough to leave the nest, the other eggs were definitely duds. Normally, though, she would have pushed them out of the nest herself. yes, it's possible your watering disturbed her but most birds wouldn't mind that.

we had a nest of robins in our front porch light (on top of the fixture). After they fledged, I left the nest up for about 2 weeks, just in case, and she has now laid another clutch in the same nest.

karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 08 2009 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh Monica, I'm sorry... I meant to post as well. Our experience with house finches (and we have a pair that nests on our patio almost every year) is that the egss hatch on subsequent days, one each day until they are done. So, if a day has gone by without another egg hatching they don't tend to hatch. If your one hatchling was still too young to have left the nest on its own (11-19 days after hatching to fledge) tehn I suspect something traumatic happened and the mother probably abandoned the nest.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote monica

well, it has been over a week and no activity in the nest. no new hatchings, no mama bird. i wonder what happened? we have a cat and there are neighborhood cats, so maybe she got scared and left. but i dont think there is any way the cats could get to the hanging nest, as it isnt close to any posts or anything a cat could get up. i just wonder what happened to the baby that did hatch. i havent seen a body anywhere, but there are thick bushes below the porch edge, so if it fell into those, i wouldnt be able to find it.
i know these things are part of the natural world, but it is still sad.
i will repot that fern now and maybe put the nest in a tree? i may let my boys break open the eggs and have a little science lesson.
thanks for your help
monica
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version