Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Antonio Vivaldi Novel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pipandpuddy
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 29 2009 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote pipandpuddy

I just wanted to let you know about a new children's book (target age 12+) about Vivaldi entitled The Red Priest's Annina. It is written by Sarah Bruce Kelly. She is a Catholic school teacher (art, music, and Latin). It took her ten years to research and write the book. She went to Venice and visited the orphanage where he taught music. She also read Vivaldi's papers in the archives in Venice. I met her recently at a homeschool gathering, and she is a very lovely woman. Information about this book and future books can be found at www.belcantopress.com. Karen
Back to Top View pipandpuddy's Profile Search for other posts by pipandpuddy

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2009 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Karen,

Is this the book ... it does sound great! And here's a hotlink to Bel Canto Press

Wow, thanks for mentioning this!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 29 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote MrsM

I might have to read this just for my own information. After I found out that Vivaldi was a "former" priest, his music just never sounded as good to me.

Mom to darling Elizabeth and Francis, held in Mary's arms and always in my heart
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2009 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

MrsM wrote:
I might have to read this just for my own information. After I found out that Vivaldi was a "former" priest, his music just never sounded as good to me.

I thought his health prevented him from serving as a priest?! Guess I'll have to get the book.

Our library doesn't have it yet...

Thanks for the info, Karen!

pipandpuddy
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 29 2009 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote pipandpuddy

Mary,

Yes, that's the book. Mrs. Kelly did mention that many false things have been written about Vivaldi. That is why she spent so many years researching and translating original documents. Karen
Back to Top View pipandpuddy's Profile Search for other posts by pipandpuddy

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2009 at 3:31am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This sounds like an interesting read. I am curious to know more about Vivaldi myself. I do believe there is a lot of negative presentation out there in regards to him as a priest. I ran across a new children's picture book (I, Vivaldi) last year and was at first excited to find it because it was a picture book about a priest.

But I never posted it because I couldn't recommend it. It portrays Vivaldi as a young man who did not want to be a priest but was forced to because of a promise his mother made to God when he was born and almost died. It also shows him very negative toward becoming a priest. In the book he leaves the altar in the middle of Mass because of music in his haed he had to write down. Then it tells how the cardinal releases him from celebrating Mass and assigned to teach music in the orphanage. She does clarify in her author notes that there is not much known for sure about Vivaldi's early life, but she expanded on the little that is known (like that he was baptized by the midwife right after he was born) and on some rumors as well (the leaving the altar during Mass).

We do know that he was released at some point from priestly duties. He went on to teach at the Ospedale della Pietà - the orphanage, where he would have met Annina who was a talented student of his. There is another picture book about the ospedales of that time period which I think is better (though not about Vivaldi) and that is Emily Arnold McCully's Orphan Singer.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version