Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: nursing while pregnant-OUCH! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 24 2009 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you continued to nurse while pregnant? I usually cut all the other babies off as soon as I started to hurt from nursing in the past. (i.e. usually right at the beginning of a pregnancy.) This 1.5 year old is a much more tenacious nurser and hasn't given up the fight as easily. I haven't pushed it as much for some reason. She gets a few bottles a day and a few nurses.

My question is two-fold: The first question is whether or not it is safe to nurse if you are say about 18 weeks along.

The second question is WHEN will it stop hurting so much to nurse!!!!!!! Or, will that just keep being an issue? I can barely stand to have my shirt touch "me", the shower hurts, and when she starts to nurse I must say it feels like a clothespin opening and closing. Is this normal due to the hormones? Is my body trying to tell me to STOP!!!

Also, while we are on the subject of pregnancy, I hadn't gained any weight at all in the beginning of the pregnancy, in fact I lost 12 pounds although I am overweight so that is probably a good thing. Then, I did not gain ONE pound until the 18th week during which time I gained 4 pounds in a few days!!!!! Is that bad? I am also ravenous, eating every two hours or so and can't get enough beef which I don't usually even like. Is sudden weight gain like that always a bad sign or o.k. due to having not gained any at all? (I know, ask my doc too. I go in a few weeks, but just curious. )

Thanks for any help with any of the questions!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2009 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You're doing fine..

nursing baby is fine..

I usually only hurt much during first trimester.. and usually after the initial ouchies it settles down.. be sure to check the latch and that you're not being used as a "chew toy" to eliminate anything extra that might be hurting. So I don't know if you'll get past it or not. It also hurt more when it was comfort nursing without much milk being there.. so I might be sure to help my supply to keep the ouchies down.. alfalfa helps and is good for a pregnancy too for instance, plus engough water (summer is always hard) and good nutrition and REST.

I always find my weight jumps around with quick gains and plateaus between..

A fast weight gain is only one indication that there MIGHT be a problem.. you'd want to also look at edema (swelling) and blood pressure to rule out any actual problem. But it's likely to just be weight gain and not a big deal.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Leocea
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2009 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Leocea

You sound so much like me!
I have stopped two of my toddlers/preschoolers from nursing from being sore while pregnant. After my last loss, nursing my daughter was so helpful for me.
I am now 29 weeks pregnant, and I am still nursing my three-year-old. She is happy with the colostrum that recently started up, and nurses 2-3 times per day.
I was very sore at the beginning, and now am only sore on occasion. At times I tell her no, and that we will cuddle instead. Sometimes she is okay with this, sometimes not.
Of course, a younger child wouldn't be able to talk with you about it. It may be that you have to set a time limit on the nursing, counting to ten or whatever.
Most toddlers or older nurslings will accept limits eventually, if you are consistant with them. :-)
I have not nursed two for very long before. This will be moe interesting, to see what MC does when her sister arrives.

Weaning because of soreness is certainly not the end of the world, it can be frustrating when the toddler isn't ready though!
Maybe a compromise would work better, nursing only at her favorite times for a certain time. If she skips it, fine.

Good luck, I wish I had a way to make it better!!

Oh, and so far, I lost 11 pounds, then have only gained about 5 back. Four pounds in a week or so could be from salt or MSG. I once gained 9 pounds after eating Chinese!! If you aren't experiencing swelling, and your blood pressure is good, it is probably either baby hitting a growth spurt, along with the placenta/blood volume increase/amniotic fluid/increased breast growth, or something you ate, literally, lol.

Your sister in Christ,

Leocea
Back to Top View Leocea's Profile Search for other posts by Leocea

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I have nursed through 9 pregnancies now, a few of those I've tandem nursed through. It hurts for me nearly the entire time, but definitely worse the first trimester, then again in the final few weeks. I have found laying down nursing hurts less. Congrats!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2009 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

If you can get hold of the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" I highly recommend it! It has a really thorough overview of the possible issues associated with tandem nursing, as well as a lot of personal stories. I wished I'd read it sooner!

I gave up nursing Puggle when I was about 6 months pregnant with Bilby, it had become too painful. When I was pregnant with Cygnet, I nursed Bilby the whole time. It was certainly uncomfortable for a large portion of the time, but it was manageable. Once my milk dried up, she only latched on for a brief time, which helped! (Of course, when the milk _did_ come in, she went back to feeding like a newborn... probably not a good idea to feed the _entire_ way through the pregnancy unless you intend to keep nursing the toddler as well as the baby!)

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version