Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Short Cycles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 24 2009 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Okay, I did not want to highjack the other thread but what about short cycles???

I cannot find my copy of Marilyn Shannon's book (cannot remember the name) and I am suddenly having really short cycles (20-24 days long). I still am having 4 -5 days of bleeding so I'm stumped. I am nursing extremely eratically, like once or twice a week, for 5 minutes max.

What is going on?????? Hubby and I are looking for answers. Anyone????

BTW I'll be 33 in November and I had 4 cycles with 21,22,20,24 days and then last month was 28 days and now this month was back to 21 days!!!!!!!!

AUGH! HELP!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't have my book here.. but off the top of my head I would say you need to chart.. so that you'll know if you're ovulating really early or if your luteal phase has a defect. You'd treat the two different I believe.

You might look into vitex/chaseberry.. I've heard lately that that can help.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 24 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Generally, shorter cycles are due to short luteal phases which are indicative of low progesterone. It's been awhile since I've looked at this, but I have this problem/challenge. My cycles are at their longest 28 days, but they can range between 24 and 28 days. You can generally discern if this is the case by watching your temps. If this is the case, you'll need to be vigilant when/if you get pregnant. I get myself in for bloodwork IMMEDIATELY after I confirm I'm pregnant as my progesterone for the last three pregnancies was not enough to sustain the pregnancy. I miscarried one baby early because of extremely low/dropping progesterone, but my 4 yo and 16 month old are here today because of early progesterone intervention.

There are some great supplements you can take to stretch your luteal phase (I'll look for my notes if Jodie doesn't get to this first) and Marilyn Shannon makes a good case for nutritional handling of this. In stretching my luteal phase, I was able to become pregnant, but because I become seriously ill and unable to hold down any nutrition, I'm not sure if a nutritional approach would be successful during early pregnancy at maintaining adequate progesterone as the only possibility for me was medical intervention.

Marilyn Shannon's book - Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition

Jodie will probably have more insight here.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 24 2009 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm double posting with Jodie! I knew she'd be here!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2009 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

But you explained it so much better than I can early in my morning

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2009 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Thank you Ladies

I do chart and I think that the problem is the luteal phase. My temp rises 2-3 days and then starts to drop. I was concerned about the pregnancy thing too. (It does not seem to be able to sustain my temps long enough)

So is nutrition the key? Which is the correct supplement? Am I missing a certain vitamin or mineral????

TIA

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 24 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

mimip wrote:
So is nutrition the key? Which is the correct supplement? Am I missing a certain vitamin or mineral????

Nutrition isn't necessarily the magic pill. I can remember thinking, "ok, if I do all these things she suggests, I'll have a happy, healthy pregnancy."

Correct/supplement where necessary, and leave the rest in God's hands. Certainly, re-read Marilyn's book (she does talk about certain supplements showing good results for increasing luteal phase...my book's not handy now, but I'll go grab it in a minute) and apply as many of the nutritional helps as you can, but don't dismiss early bloodwork and intervention with your OB.   

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2009 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

good nutrition helps your body work right.. but you can still have a luteal phase defect that would take progesterone supplementation (prescription) in order to sustain a pregnancy.

It is best to start with nutrition of course, and see if your body can correct itself.. it's just not 100% guaranteed

Some places will recommend the wild yam cream.. and while it anecdotally helps with some symptoms of low progesterone.. there's no clinical studies, from what I understand, that show it raises progesterone levels enough for pregnancy.. but I do know some women try it as a last ditch effort when their docs don't consider progesterone supplements necessary

-Sir Walter Scott

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 24 2009 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Found it!

Optivite PMT formula (you'll need to scroll down to find it on this site) is the multi-vitamin/mult-mineral supplement recommended and shown through research to assist in lengthening and promoting a healthy luteal phase.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2009 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

You ladies are amazing. I am going to do a bit or research and head out to my local whole foods to see what I can find in the nutrition department.

LOTS of thanks.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2009 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

I think the link that you posted is broken!!!!!! I can't get there. I'm googling though

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 24 2009 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

It is broken...be right back to fix it. It's available at Amazon, but I was **trying** to link you to American Pro-Life pharmacy.

be back...

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 24 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

argh...their website is frustrating!

The link above works now. Click on it and it takes you to their homepage. Click on Vitamins in the left sidebar and then scroll down. Everything is in alphabetical order, so scroll down til you make to Optivite.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2009 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Got it, I had no idea there was an American Pro-life pharmacy!

Cool and glad to give them my business.

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2009 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Can't Flax Seed Oil Supplements help with the Luteal phase too? I have had a problem with short Luteal phases too... this helped with mine...

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

mimip wrote:
Got it, I had no idea there was an American Pro-life pharmacy!

As a side note, there is a Catholic prolife pharmacy in our area, but I think they only provide to Virginia. Their address is: www.dmcpharm.com for Divine Mercy Care Pharmacy.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Emily, its funny you brought flax seed oil up since my MIL has been telling me for months how wonderful it has been for her. I think I have a trip to the health food store coming up

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

I'm 34 and I had the same thing happening before falling preg with my new baby girl born in April.

I had just weaned my son after his second birthday, and he had been feeding quite alot up til then, when I got my period for the first time, or so I thought, but after the bleeding stopped it started in an unusual way again. I suspected a miscarriage, did a test and it came positive. Went to the hosp for anti-d and they did a scan. I was still carrying my 6 week old baby. Unfortunately the baby miscarried over the next few weeks

Now I wondered if perhaps weaning my son so abruptly had caused the miscarriage, causing a big hormone change which being so early in the preg and with low preg hormones were not enough to stop me from having a period which injured the baby. (Hope that makes sense, I'm too tired lately to even know when I'm making sense ) But the Dr said no, I don't know if he was just trying to be nice.

Any way I started charting again (I hadn't bothered up to that point) and was having a short luteal phase each time. I called Billings and the lady advised that I needed to give my body a rest after so long breastfeeding, a few months she said to let everything sort itself out.
I went to the Dr's and had my progesterone levels checked and they were fine.

I read HEAPS off the internet. Unfortunately I forget most of what I read been over a year ago now. But what I do remeber is that oil is very important to your reproductive systems health. Lots of people use Evening primrose oil. Vitex, a herb (or is it a berry ), was also commonly used . Both of these depending on what you read are best used from the beginning of your cycle up until ovulation. Reason being both may disturb implantation of the baby.

Now I thought I will just start with the basics, and then add more only if it doesn't seem to be working.
So I chose to start with EPO up to ovulation and Omega 3 up until cycles end. Well I noticed a big difference with fertility signs straight away and fell pregnant that cycle with my darling little girl born just this April

Now I never paid it much attention until I had my miscarriage but I went back over my old charts and there are short luteal phases all over the place, and I have 5 living children.
The first 4 pregnancies were all text book. When I fell preg with my latest I had a tiny bleed at the time I expected my period (based on the short luteal phase) but then, apart from another bleed at 16 weeks due to a low lying placenta, everything was fine.

I would recommend having your progesterone levels checked to see if that is the cause.

I found it very upsetting to read about progesterone though. One place would say wild yam is fab, the next its awful. The same with the progesterone intection.

My friends have had that and don't think they would have had a baby without it, yet I saw many online complaining that it caused them to become depressed.

If I need progesterone in the future I think I will get it in a compound. We have a pharmacy in my city which does this. Here is a link to some info from that pharmacy about progesterone. But you might give yourself a head ache reading it. http://www.compoundingonoxford.com.au/cat-91/patient-resourc es/progesterone/index.html   It would be good to have a clear straightforward choice regarding these things, but I haven't found it to be so.

Back to Top View Sharyn's Profile Search for other posts by Sharyn

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Mackfam, I'm really glad I read your advice on checking Progesterone levels as soon as you know you are pregnant. That might be something I need to do should I be blessed with more wee babes in the future. I don't think I would have thought to do that if I hadn't read what you wrote. Thank you!
Back to Top View Sharyn's Profile Search for other posts by Sharyn

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version