Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Virtue Study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Babs
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 19 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Babs

As part of religion this year I am planning on teaching virtues as the Catechism lists them, Cardinal, Theological, Capital, etc.

We are also studying American History and one of the parts that came with it is a character study with a character trait and person from American history as an example for each week. So great, all laid out for me.

So I started trying to work this resource in with my Catholic virtue study and the names don't correspond in any way to any Catholic virtue list I can find.

Can anyone tell me if you have studied the virtues according to the Church's framework and how you went about it? I had considered making some type of notebook we could add to through the years with this framework but, it's so complicated.

Before I selected this curriculum I was considering the PACE program but the 10 virtues in the book don't easily fit with the framework either.

I had envisioned this being the base of the other subjects we study and would really like to make it work. I am hoping someone has done this before and could offer some ideas.

God Bless,
Barb
Back to Top View Babs's Profile Search for other posts by Babs

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Barb,
The Catholic virtues you listed above are really categories of virtues. For instance, the Theological Virtues are the supernatural virtues of Faith, Hope, and Love, and are infused by God at Baptism. There are also natural virtues of faith, hope, and love. The Cardinal virtues (also known as the moral virtues) are prudence, justice, temperance, and fortitude. They are called "cardinal" for the Latin word "cardo", meaning "hinge". The idea is that they are the hinges on which the other virtues "hang", as it were. So, for example, fortitude might include such virtues as courage or perseverance, while temperance encompasses self-control, self-discipline, and so on. The Capital virtues are such things as humility, brotherly love, meekness, etc. See this for lots more info. I'm pretty sure you could take the virtues you have in your American History curriculum, and identify them with the corresponding Catholic virtues. It should be possible to work "backwards" to the bigger categories. For instance, if the virtue in the curriculum is self-discipline, this falls under the Cardinal virtue of temperance and then you could learn all the cardinal virtues, what a cardinal virtue is, and so on. Positive character qualities like attentiveness could be related to the underlying virtue. In this case, being attentive to people could relate to the theological virtue of charity or the capital virtue of brotherly love; being attentive to the details of work might be related to the capital virtue of diligence.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Great question Barb!

stellamaris wrote:
I'm pretty sure you could take the virtues you have in your American History curriculum, and identify them with the corresponding Catholic virtues. It should be possible to work "backwards" to the bigger categories. For instance, if the virtue in the curriculum is self-discipline, this falls under the Cardinal virtue of temperance

Caroline gave you such a great answer that she reminded me of a page which would help you to work "backward."

Second Part of the Second Part
St. Thomas puts the little virtues under the big virtue titles. Here's another example studiousness

When reading St. Thomas, I just skip all the beginning parts and center on the
"I answer that"
portion.

He poses the contrary arguments to rebut them. (Am I speaking English? Sometimes I wonder )

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

St. Thomas is a special interest of mine. Thanks for the link; that's a great summary of the relationship of the virtues! For anyone else who would love to dig more deeply into St. Thomas's teachings on the virtues (and everything else included in the Summa), I recommend highly the four-volume commentary set by Walter Farrell entitled A Companion to the Summa. It's a long but accessible commentary written in a style reminiscent of C.S. Lewis by a knowledge Dominican.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Babs
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2009 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote Babs

Caroline and Helen,

Thanks so much for this info. I think you are right, I have been trying and trying to work the virtues in when maybe working backwards will be better. After I get the kiddos to sleep I am going to sit down and go through the links like you suggest.

One of my older sons is home on break from college and when I showed him your answers he pulled out the Summa Theologiae, so maybe together we can do this. And it looks like we're getting our money's worth at college, too! ; )

Back to Top View Babs's Profile Search for other posts by Babs

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Babs wrote:
One of my older sons is home on break from college and when I showed him your answers he pulled out the Summa Theologiae, so maybe together we can do this. And it looks like we're getting our money's worth at college, too! ; )

That sounds like fun!

I'm going to link to the Real Learning thread Let's talk about habits. In Jennifer's (Mackfam) post on June 20th, she offers a review of several children books on virtue.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2009 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stellamaris wrote:
For anyone else who would love to dig more deeply into St. Thomas's teachings on the virtues (and everything else included in the Summa), I recommend highly the four-volume commentary set by Walter Farrell entitled A Companion to the Summa. It's a long but accessible commentary written in a style reminiscent of C.S. Lewis by a knowledge Dominican.

Caroline, I'm always recommending that 4 volume set (I got a beat up used copy), but I usually get big ???? when I do. Glad to see I'm not alone....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version