Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Main ingredient for 2 meals? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 18 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I mentioined here that my dd and I have a new summer meal plan that includes cooking a big or favorite meal on Sunday and taking some part of it and making a *new* meal for the following Thursday night. For example, this past Sunday we made a slow cooker turkey breast with all the fixings. We saved some turkey and going to add it to fried rice tonight.

This Sunday we'll make bean and cheese enchiladas and on Thursday we'll make a seven layer bean dip. We've brainstormed a few other matches...homemade pasta sauce on Sunday and lasagna on Thursday...curried chicken & curried chicken salad. Writing this out has me seeing that we're taking a main ingredient and using it twice.

How do you use a main ingredient for two meals? Thanks!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2009 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

Our favorite is to cook a chuck roast in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots and onions, save the juice. On another day we will have roast beef sandwich aujus. The kids love them.

God Bless
Robynn
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Hot rice or buckwheat tossed with sausage, grilled veggies, olive oil and a bit of cheese for dinner.
Add chopped tomatoes, lemon juice, fresh parsley for a cold dinner salad.

Marinated steak for fahitas for dinner, slice the leftover steak to add to a "healthier Pittsburgh stye dinner salad" with lettuce, oven fries, tomatoes, hot peppers, mozarella/cheddar cheese and ranch dressing.

Any leftover meat can be added to a fried rice dinner full of veggies, ginger and garlic topped with sesame oil and soy sauce.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2009 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Not exactly the same I guess--but whenever I'm grilling chicken I always grill extra to use later in the week.

I might make carribean jerk chicken on Sunday and grill extra chicken, then Wednesday we have chicken wraps or the grilled chicken over salads or a cold chicken pasta salad or fajitas.

I do the same with steak--save the leftovers for stroganoff or to serve over salads or for fajitas (or fajita salads!) later in the week. If I use ground beef for tacos I might save some (unseasoned) for Shepherd's pie later in the week

Leftover pork tenderloin turns into pork fried rice.

Spiral cut ham becomes quiche or ham and potato casserole.

I do the same with my sides too. I double the mashed potatoes I make to serve them again a few nights later--works great for sheperd's pie which I never usually made because I thought it was a pain to have to make the mashed potatoes and then bake it. I always make extra rice and use it later in the week or just freeze it so I always have some cooked rice on hand.     

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We make chicken taco meat in the crockpot to use for soft tacos one night and then use it for taco salads later on. We also cook garlic chicken breasts to serve with steamed veggies one night and then shred it to make garlic chicken pizzas another night.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh goodness I think I cook like this most of the time..

extra fried chicken makes chicken salad sandwiches

extra grilled chicken (usually with a nice spicy dry rub) is great sliced and topped on a salad

beef roast winds up as hash

pork roast can be shredded and made into carnitas

turkey is too many things to name but white enchiladas are a good choice for leftover

ham again ham is so versatile with scalloped potatoes or with scrambled eggs or in a soup or fried rice

big pot of pinto beans for the first night and then anything we make with refried beans or with beans to add.. like soups or chili con carne w/ beans (actually I do a BIG pot and get 4-5 meals.. if we don't get to them fast enough they can be frozen)

any small amount of meat leftover are good for topping baked potatoes or pizza

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2009 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Ham smoked shoulder we roast it up and can make gravey out of some of the drippings for on perogies or noodles. Or have it with salad .I always save the drippings for soup . Reemmebr to place in fridge so as it cools you can skim the fat off. You can then use the fat for frying .
I can get 3-4 suppers out of this . I even use the ham the next morning to slice thinnly and fry with eggs and pancakes.
for meals ia then cube up the left over ham .
I make scalloped poptaoes with ham chunks , carrots , potoes and cheese . This is so yummy.
I then make pizza next night ham and pineapple .
Then comes soup . I boil the ham bone up with old veggie skins etc. to make stock . My kids and I prefer ham soup with cabbage , potatoe and rice carrot that sort of thing but dh loves split pea soup ... must be his frenchman coming out
Here a ham like this costs about $12 at the most . I like the shoulder ham rather then the boneless expensive ham . dare I say I love the rind too . It reminds me of when my mum would cook ham and give me the chewy bits of rind .

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 23 2009 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I was thinking of this post the other day when we did Bacon at breakfast and the had it on cobb salad at lunch!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 23 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

You all are awesome! Thanks so much for the ideas...and keep them coming .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version