Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Someone Named Eva - WWII novel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2009 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf

Not sure if this should go here or in Living Literature. I did a search for this title and didn't see it mentioned anywhere else so I just wanted to mention that we found this excellent WWII themed novel thanks to the recommendation of the former home educating mom/librarian who works in the children's section of our library. It is an amazing story based on actual events that took place in a town called Lidice in the former Czechoslovakia. There are only two scenes which I thought might be difficult for a sensitive child, but my very sensitive 9yo. girl read them without any problems. Here is a review:

Grade 5–8—When resistance fighters assassinated the highest ranking Nazi officer in Czechoslovakia, Hitler sought revenge on the small village of Lidice. All 173 men and teenage boys were executed while the women were sent to the Ravensbruck concentration camp. Ten Lidice children, who exemplified Aryan traits, were selected for "Germanization." They were sent to Lebensborn training centers, forced to speak only German, given new names, and indoctrinated into the Nazi ideology. They were then adopted by German families. The rest of the children of Lidice were gassed. Based on extensive research and interviews with survivors, Wolf tells the heart-wrenching story of the fictional Milada, who is sent to a Lebensborn center and adopted by the commandant of Ravensbruck. Readers are quickly immersed into her character, gaining a painful understanding of her intense struggle to hold onto her true self and identity. Students who have read stories of Jewish persecution and survival during the Holocaust will be enlightened by this portrait of how Hitler's Final Solution affected these innocent children. This amazing, eye-opening story, masterfully written, is an essential part of World War II literature and belongs on the shelves of every library.—Rachel Kamin, Temple Israel Libraries & Media Center, West Bloomfield, MI

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version