Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: moderate to severe anemia??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2009 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Quote:

The symptoms of anemia can include headache, fatigue, weakness, difficulty in thinking. With severe anemia, other symptoms, such as shortness of breath and rapid heartbeat, may be experienced

I have all of those.. plus some fairly mild nausea, the shortness of breath and rapid heartbeat have been improving.. my midwife wants me to take molasses to help.. I can't.. I can barely look at it on a good day, I simply can not even think about trying to take it with the nausea.

Dh is going to see what iron supplements I can get locally (not floridex though - might get online and order it asap anyway).

I know to eat red meats and other high iron foods, I'm eating less than normal though.. like last night I had a hamburger that I can normally eat the whole thing.. I was able to eat about 3/4. Not because of nausea but just that that was all I could eat.

Getting rrl, plus some other stuff, my prenatals, the mail wasn't here yet with my calcium supplement.. it'll be here tomorrow.

But the BIG BIG thing is the headache.. OW!!!!!.. from what I was able to read it's caused by the lack of oxygen (not enough red blood cells to carry enough oxygen), and causes some swelling of the blood vessels which causes the pain.. so I'm thinking (which isn't easy ) that things I would normally do for a migraine might help.. ice packs, maybe caffiene (vaso-constrictor), maybe taking the bromelain since it helps reduce swelling hmmm.. maybe arnica?

Any suggestions at all to help deal with this.. really I can live with the rest if I can just get the headache under some control here.

Apparently, it takes 5-7 days for your body to make red blood cells so it'll be about a week from the miscarriage before I even have those additional blood cells to start alleviating the symptoms.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2009 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Tami

{{{{Jodie}}}} I"m so sorry it's been so rough for you.

I'm assuming your midwife is watching your hematocrit #s, to make sure you don't get too low? A simple finger-stick in the office can tell her a lot.

Can you go to smaller meals throughout the day, since the nausea is so tough? And including those high-iron foods then? How about dissolving the molasses in a cup of hot water and sipping like tea? I remember reading a blog years ago where the writer had a cup every afternoon this way, to keep up her iron levels.

I'm wondering if your headache could be dehydration? Maybe complicated by allergies ('tis the season....) ?

And when you're ready for it, prune juice has a higher amount of iron/serving than liver. But, ugh.

I'll be praying for you....

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Kath
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Kath

Don't forget that tea (b/c of the tannins) and dairy will both inhibit the absorption of iron. So avoid those when eating iron rich foods or taking iron supplements. Also, vitamin C helps with iron absorption, so some orange juice and red meat is a good combination, for example.

I'm praying you feel better soon!

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

Jodie, I have prayed for you. This must be tough. Have you thought of using cayenne to improve the circulation of the blood that you do have? It may help to get the oxygen where it needs to go. Let us know how it goes (if any of this relieves your symptoms) and know that we're thinking of you.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 04 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I don't have any great naturopathic remedies, Jodie...but when my h&h plummets, and it does every pregnancy (and I mean plummet!!), I opt to add a regular diet of iron fortified cereal. I'm not sure how this will do with your nausea, but a bowl of cereal 2-3x a day saved me during my last pregnancy.

Kath mentions taking Vitamin C with iron to assist absorption, but I was told exactly the opposite - to avoid orange juice/vitamin C for an hour or so after iron rich supplementation. I hate to add to the confusion. Does anyone know anything more about that?

Anyhoo...raisin bran and mini wheats were my cereals of preference. I did eat them with milk. I'm pretty sure Martha in VA went through some rough bouts with anemia...let me see if I can dig up her thread...

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Here it is - scroll through a bit, it's Martha's prayer thread - look on pages 2 and 3. Martha answers my question on page 3 of her thread:

Martha in VA wrote:
I have also upped my Vit C as that helps with iron absorption.

And then, apparently I'm losing my mind as I clearly remembered here that iron absorption is assisted by increased Vitamin C.    Sorry, Kath. You were right...and I am just brain-dead. Also, I took a look on that thread I just linked to, Jodie. You followed up behind my post and mention the use of alfalfa for anemia. Have you considered that yet?

Praying for you as you crawl out of this fog!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

B12 also aids in the absorption or possible usuability of the iron. (It is often found teamed up with the iron in the supplements).

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kath
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 05 2009 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Kath

Don't worry about it Jennifer! All this info about iron is running around in my head only because my husband was just diagnosed with hemochromatosis (iron overload). So we're actually following the opposite advice here!

Kath
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 05 2009 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Kath

Oh, and don't forget about cooking in cast-iron pans, if you have any.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 05 2009 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

thank you ladies.. I figured out the worst of the problem is that the headache is actually not from the anemia.. but rather I was getting a migraine on top of the very minor anemia headache. Knocked that out and the world doesn't seem quite so hard

Yes we use cast iron pans regularly, and I'm taking alfalfa and my prenatals (good b's) and red raspberry leaf and vit. C and an iron supplement, and seperate from all of those (at bedtime) I take my calcium with magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, vit D and zinc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I tend towards the anemic when pregnant and I always find great relief from a chlorophyll supplement. I get a mint-flavored one and add a generous splash to a large glass of cold water. It's nice and minty so it goes down easy and it increases my water intake as well.   Also, nettle tea is supposed to be great. You can mix it half and half with OJ for better absorption and flavor. I think the flavor is fine but I like "black" teas in general.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

mayappleridge
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 08 2009 at 4:37am | IP Logged Quote mayappleridge

I second the chlorophyll supplement.

Also try nettles infusion. I drank a half gallon of it a day during the end of my last pregnancy and a half gallon during labor. My midwife told me that I was just a little bit away from bleeding too much and needing to go to the hospital (It was a homebirth) and I credit nettles with that. I also craved them. I mean really craved them throughout the end of the pregnancy and now I know why. I just brewed them up like sweet tea, sometimes with a decaf tea bag or two sometimes alone. I did use a lot of sugar in them, but nowadays I use less sugar.

Mountain rose herbs has it I think also any health food store. If you were in the UK, I could send some as I have a huge supply of the stuff.

I'm a big fan of nettles. So many other uses, too.

the Explorer (boy) age 8
the Tiny Goddess (girl) age 3
and Miss Mousie (girl) age 2
Back to Top View mayappleridge's Profile Search for other posts by mayappleridge Visit mayappleridge's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2009 at 4:46am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I'm a fan of nettles too and I find it is a great herb, dried to throw into every dish imaginable, the same way you would use dried parsely.

I've just got over bronchitis and it was the nettle tea that helped me really turn the corner. (bit off subject..)

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version