Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Bedrooms on different levels of house? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 01 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote amyable

What is the situation with bedrooms in your house? Are they all on one level? If they are not, who sleeps in another level and is that a basement, ground floor, etc?   What kinds of problems/concerns does this make for you?

The reason I ask is that we are in a 3 bedroom split foyer. We are debating moving (still - it's been 7 years but we're a lot more serious now) and finding affordable homes with 4 decent sized bedrooms all on one level has been difficult. We *really* want to be able to put two beds down on the floor instead of *having* to bunk (just safety issues in our minds...if we have the choice). We could stay here, and put a fourth bedroom on the lower level w/ no bathroom, but that seems to present it's own problems in this house (plus we'd have to bunk as all bedrooms are small and/or awkwardly designed).

So just curious how the bedroom situation works for all of you. Thanks for humoring me - I'd hate to make a huge moving decision and THEN realize I was crazy to buy a house with a basement bedroom (or whatever).

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2009 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote Angi

We have a 1 1/2 story home. Upstairs there are 2 bedroom, where the oldest 2 sleep. The ceilings are too short for bunks. Eventually each of the 2 rooms will have a full size bed and 2 girls. I will let the girls choose who will share a room. The twins sleep in a downstairs room (sharing a twin bed), they still wake up and need me sometimes, so this is easier because we are also on the main level.

HTH
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2009 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

We have a split entry with 2 bdrms up and 2 down. Our room is upstairs along with son's room. DD's room is downstairs. They love having separate rooms during the day, but she sleeps in her brother's room most nights!

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2009 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

We have lived in a variety of two-level homes, our current home having the master bedroom on the main floor and then 4 other bedrooms upstairs.   
Advantages:
*when people come to visit, no one can see the kids' rooms and so they assume the house is clean
*the children identify this as "their" space, and so assume a little more ownership and responsibility for it
*we don't always hear all the middle of the night noises, which is good when they are older, and not so good when they are younger

Disadvantages:
*returning laundry to rooms, cleaning, etc. all require multiple trips up and down the stairs (this is actually good if you are trying to squeeze in more exercise! )
*it's harder to keep an eye on playtime activities if they are playing upstairs
*I have always been concerned about the height of the upstairs windows, so we installed window guards.
*I'm not sure about this, but I think from comparing notes with friends it costs more to heat/cool our two-story home, and I know the temperature of the house is not very uniform. It can be really cold on the main floor and quite hot upstairs, even though we have two thermostat zones.
HTH!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote amyable

stellamaris wrote:
*when people come to visit, no one can see the kids' rooms and so they assume the house is clean

This is THE #1 reason I want a colonial.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

We the two children's bedrooms upstairs. I like that we can close them up and no one can see the stuff. I don't like that I don't make it up there enough during daylight hours to see how much mess there is until later in the week.    I don't like hauling things (and sleepy kids at night) up and down the stairs. Now that I haven't been pregnant in a long time that isn't as big of a deal. We use bunk beds for our kids,but they do have big rooms.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2009 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Our teens are in the basement. We just moved them down there this spring. Our basement is huge, and we were able to carve out 2 rooms while still leaving plenty of room for our other needs down there. We have 4 bedrooms upstairs, so now everyone is in their own room.

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 01 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

I once vowed (although I've gone back on that before) to never again live in a two story home [main floor with master bedroom + kids usptairs] because:
1. It was always way hotter upstairs.
2. It was not easy hefting the squirmy 18 month old upstairs twice a day for bedtimes while being nine months pregnant.
3. Not sleeping well because I was always nervous something would happen to one of the kids upstairs that I couldn't hear downstairs.
4. My stepson slept above us and would rock himself to sleep in the middle of the night.
5. Upstairs bathroom overflow into dining area.
6. Kids (and sometimes adults) falling down stairs.
7. Having to move furniture up and down stairs.

Okay. I'll stop. I'd forgotten how much I appreciate a (mostly) one level home.

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version