Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: potty-training twin boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 27 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Angel

I know it can be done. I'm trying to gather my courage.

Usually I follow the lazy mother's method of potty-training. I do it late; I do it when it's warm; and I just let them run around with no pants, no diaper, no underwear. It has seemed to bother my older kids enough that potty-training is usually accomplished in a day or two, with very few accidents after one week. But, er, logistically speaking, I am not sure I want TWO BOYS running around like this for very long!

The other problem is that I can't trust my twins (they're over 3 yo) in the bathroom. This morning they let the baby into the bathroom when I was getting their breakfast, ushered him into the shower (where he sat, playing happily, I might add), and then one of the boys started squeezing shampoo on his head and his brother's head. In the past, they have encouraged the baby to put his hands in the toilet and even joined him -- laughing wildly. Both boys can be VERY hyper. So... I know they NEED to learn to use the potty this summer, but... I can imagine a lot of disasters along the way.

Any tips from moms who have been there, done that? I hope?

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2009 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

BTDT! I have twin eight-year olds and also a 6 1/2 yr. old boy. Serious potty issues! I did this:
1. Took the pressure off myself by deciding they were going to be trained later and when they were really ready (as in really ready!).
2. Trained one at a time, starting with the one who was appearing to be most ready.
3. Had them use the bathroom with the door open, and tried to enforce a one-at-a-time rule.
4. Trained them for daytime first, and worried about nighttime later.
5. Prayed a lot, and offered up the entire struggle for the unborn.

It seems as if everything has taken much longer with the twins; one is special needs, so that could be holding us back, but I think a lot of the problem is just that there are two of them and only one of me! What one doesn't think of the other one does! God bless you~they will learn to use the potty by the time they go to college!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Tonya
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 27 2009 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Tonya

I don't have any tips for you but you will be in my prayers. I have found boys much more difficult to train.....and my twin boys about did me in! Why do they have such a fascination for putting everything down the potty but what is supposed to go down the potty? I remember one time that my husband had to take the whole toilet off to get the GI Joe man out. He put the toilet back together and came into the other room. We saw the other twin go back into the bathroom and yelled, "NO!!!" only to hear the flush. And, yes, he had to take the toilet apart again to take the other GI Joe man out. One time they flushed an entire box of Corn Flakes. We have no idea what all they put down that didn't clog the toilet.

You are smart to wait until they are older and it is summertime. And as Caroline said, they will eventually get it! Good luck.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2009 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I waited until mine were 3, and then I did them one at a time. They are both fully potty trained now , in fact, they took about a week each and did both night and day training at the same time.

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2009 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

I have always found that waiting until children are truly ready, where it will only take a couple of days or so, and they won't fight it, is the best way. I found this to be true with all my younger sibs, and my own dd. We made the mistake of trying so hard to train them, and they still didn't learn until over 3, almost four for some. It saves a lot of hassle and future gray hairs to go more at the childs pace.

I think Rachel's idea of training one at a time sounds good for twins. Just before I read her reply, I was thinking I would do that with our twins.

I have our 19 mo showing signs of readiness, and I was trying to decide whether to push myself to "train" him. Then I decided why go through the hassle of trying so hard to teach a child who barely knows how to even communicate his desires yet how to tell me he has to go potty. He'll learn all in good time.

Like Caroline said, they WILL learn by the time they go to college. I think we sometimes feel pressured by competion of when other's children learn things to follow a superficial developmental schedule. I know I have fight it. I just remind myslef not to pressure myself so much, it will all happen in God's good time.

And one other thing. With my daughter, I taught her to call out "I'm Done" when she had finished and needed help wiping, until I could trust her to wipe okay, and not use a whole roll to wipe. She was a bit mischiveous getting into things, too!

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version