Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Favorite prefolds diaper cover? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 26 2009 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

I'm new to cloth diapering and LOVE it. I bought a couple of prowraps to use with my prefolds and am not crazy about how they fit. Please tell me what your favorite cover is and why.

Thanks!

Martha in VA

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Maria in WI
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 26 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote Maria in WI

My favorite are Thirsties- the coverage is generous, and the material is thin and flexible. And, they come in lots of colors .
Back to Top View Maria in WI's Profile Search for other posts by Maria in WI

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Nique

Martha, I'm new to C.Ding too:) What I've been using are the Dappi Vinyl Pants. The price was good and they are easy to pull on and off. However, I've been noticing I have to remove my ds diaper as soon as he's peed, otherwise a rash soon appears! So I'm always checking.
I would love to find a one-size DIAPER COVER that breathes and dries quickly ..

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Angi

I loved my Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. Used them for all 4 girls.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote trish

Angi wrote:
I loved my Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. Used them for all 4 girls.

These are my favourites too!

Forgot to add: They wash and dry well and the velcro grip stays strong.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I like Thirsties. They have held up well and do not leak. Sometimes the velcro irritates my little guys fat belly though. Bummis Super Whisper Wrap are almost identically made. I would have to check the tags to see which brand is which.

There is also a brand called Mommy's Touch. They also don't leak. They come up higher and have snaps so they don't irritate and large pre-folds don't peak out the top.

Check out this page at Green Mountain Diapers. She goes into detail about each cover to help you make a decision. They have great customer service, too!

For night time, I love this cover!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 26 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

I like Thirsties also. I have tried a few other brands and regretted it. I always go back to them and love them. They are super durable, wash easily, and do a great job at preventing leaks.
I love their fitteds as well. I don't have many, but they are such a treat to use occasionally. I'm trying to stock up on them for night time use with my new one coming soon. Easier than trying to fold a prefold in the middle of the night!
Anyway, the lowest price I've found for Thirsties covers is at abbyslane.com. She's also a Catholic WAHM, has free shipping, and great customer service.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 26 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Oh Molly, I'd love to hear more about the Stacinator fleece cover. I've never used anything but a PUL cover. I've used fleece inside the diaper for comfort at night, but this looks so cozy.

www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 27 2009 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Bummis SWWs fit my kids the best. I tried Thirsties and Proraps and found that they were just too big for my babies. Depends on how your kids are built. (Mine are on the thin side and do NOT have chubby thighs.) I wish the Thirsties would have fit, though, because I love all those beautiful colors!

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

MotherEase Air Flow covers are our favorites. I've not tried Thirsties but will have to check them out.   

Edited: Oops! Forgot to add why. They are thin, breathable, we rarely have leak issues, and we like snaps over velcro. They have held up well over three children and look to be good for the fourth. These covers fit our long, lean, chunky-thighed babies better than others. I love wool covers, but get very lazy about the upkeep (not much of a hand washer here), so we always fall back to the MotherEase as they are machine wash and dry.

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2009 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Andrea, thanks for the recommedation to check out: abbyslane.com
They carry the one-size DIAPER COVERS that I was looking for!
Hip-hip-hurray!!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2009 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

anniemm wrote:
Oh Molly, I'd love to hear more about the Stacinator fleece cover. I've never used anything but a PUL cover. I've used fleece inside the diaper for comfort at night, but this looks so cozy.

They are great!!! They are very comfortable and cover well. They do not leak, even with my toddler who pees buckets at night! I have two for each child and just alternate them. Really, as long as they don't poop in it, it airs out nicely by bedtime. And much cheaper than wool!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 27 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Those sound like a great option, Molly. I think I'll try them out. I've wanted to try wool, but I just can't bear the thought of the cost of it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Also, Stephanie I've had the exact same experience in opposite conditions! You are totally right about the fit of Bummis vs. Thirsties! My little ones are chunky girls and the Bummis wraps I've tried seem SO tight on them! The more generous cut of Thirsties work better for us. It's good to know that that is across the board though, in the off chance that I ever have a skinny baby!

www.hiswillmypeace.com

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Martha, for what it's worth, Thirsties are very, very similar to Pro-raps. So if you aren't pleased with pro-raps, they might not be the best option. (Only difference is that Thirsties have an elastic binding on the top front which can help to contain the pee if your baby is in dipes for an extended time... and they come in cuter colors.)

Otherwise, I've found that there is no magic cover that is perfect ALL the time. I have my favorites based on the size and age of the babies and absorbancy needs at the time. Certain covers are FANTASTIC with skinnier legs (Polar Babies Happy Pants... my go-to cover for the first couple months or so) but not so great with thunder thighs and vice versa. Stacinator makes a 'So Simple' diaper cover that is great for bigger babies and WON'T leave red marks at all! Their fleece covers are also good IMO, but they are not trim fitting at all... and they CAN hang onto smells if you use them overnight and have a heavy wetting toddler (for some reason, our kids hit a point when their pee just gets overwhelmingly ammonia-like and we have to be more careful about washing methods and switching out covers more frequently.)

Bummers whisper PANTS are a GREAT, inexpensive cover that can cover a wide age range... but you have to be very good about changing frequently since they don't breathe at all.

I love Thirsties and Pro-raps... but mostly in the younger stages; they seem to hang onto smells more easily when baby gets older and slide around a bit more than I'd like in the front.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

p.s

www.diaperpin.com is a great resource for reading reviews on diapering products!

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2009 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

I second the recommendation for Diaper Pin. I don't know how I would get by without that website.

In fact, I was doing some further research on fleece covers today on there!

www.hiswillmypeace.com

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2009 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

This has been a wonderfully helpful thread. Thank you!

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2009 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

knowloveserve wrote:
Martha, for what it's worth, Thirsties are very, very similar to Pro-raps. So if you aren't pleased with pro-raps, they might not be the best option. (Only difference is that Thirsties have an elastic binding on the top front which can help to contain the pee if your baby is in dipes for an extended time... and they come in cuter colors.)

Otherwise, I've found that there is no magic cover that is perfect ALL the time. I have my favorites based on the size and age of the babies and absorbancy needs at the time. Certain covers are FANTASTIC with skinnier legs (Polar Babies Happy Pants... my go-to cover for the first couple months or so) but not so great with thunder thighs and vice versa. Stacinator makes a 'So Simple' diaper cover that is great for bigger babies and WON'T leave red marks at all! Their fleece covers are also good IMO, but they are not trim fitting at all... and they CAN hang onto smells if you use them overnight and have a heavy wetting toddler (for some reason, our kids hit a point when their pee just gets overwhelmingly ammonia-like and we have to be more careful about washing methods and switching out covers more frequently.)

Bummers whisper PANTS are a GREAT, inexpensive cover that can cover a wide age range... but you have to be very good about changing frequently since they don't breathe at all.

I love Thirsties and Pro-raps... but mostly in the younger stages; they seem to hang onto smells more easily when baby gets older and slide around a bit more than I'd like in the front.

This is super helpful! Especially the part about there being no perfect cover! That's really comforting to me.   

Our Family Blog

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 29 2009 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

teachingmyown wrote:
They are great!!! They are very comfortable and cover well. They do not leak, even with my toddler who pees buckets at night! I have two for each child and just alternate them. Really, as long as they don't poop in it, it airs out nicely by bedtime. And much cheaper than wool!

Molly, when I had a fleece cover a few years ago, they didn't LEAK, but the really soaked daiper from the heavy-wetters would eventually soak through the fleece, making everything damp....not wet, but damp....enough to have to change everything. This doesn't happen with these???

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2009 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

My kids don't get damp at all. It is really unbelievable. I went from waking up in a puddle every morning to not even needing to change the baby first thing. The diaper I use is the Indian pre-folds from Green Mountain Diapers, so a pretty substantial diaper. But even so, the diaper will be soaked but the outside of the cover dry. The only thing that has ever come close to that is the old Gerber plastic pants.

I highly recommend them!

Remembering Today

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version