Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Science Topics Again and Again and Again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 16 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

What science topics do you find yourself hitting again and again and again? Every January we seem to be on a bird kick, now we're ramping up to hurricane season so weather is back on topic, astronomy is always a conversation starter around here...

These topics aren't in particular part of the curriculum but rather the topics we can talk about for hours and hours. Each of us also has pet topics that noone else has a bit of interest in - dinosaurs for dd, plants for me, and mechanics for dh. It is so bad that when my aunt was down here recently she started saying blah-blah-elasmosaurous-bouganvilla-blah-blah-blah... everytime one of us got on a roll.     

So share with us. What science topics do you and your family hit again and again and again?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2009 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

We have a few of those too...

Seems every year at spring time we renew our love for birdwatching.

Also every spring we do some type of gardening, planting, discussing all these things.

Every year around fall time we study the leaves, why they change, pumpkins, apple orchard. My favorites!!

Then, of course come January we have a big winter and SNOW time of learning...usually revolving around a big unit study based on snow.

One year I tried to get away from doing the "same thing" but thus far, we've enjoyed it every year...the planned AND un-planned discussions and learning! I love nature studies!!

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2009 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Anything ocean~ish is always a welcome topic for any of us.
Ds is interested in anything survival-related, so edible wild plants, tracking, first-aid,etc.
Dd is nuts about planets and sharks.
I love just about any science topic.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I just think it is fascinating how people are drawn in certain directions, I sure have never, ever, encouraged dinosaurs with dd, for instance, but she still can ramble on about them.

We're staying up at a friends house this weekend so we have tv and it has been on the HD science channel with this awesome footage of storm chasers and I'm totally grooving on it.    Dad was a weather guy with the Air Force for awhile so we always spent storms outside checking out Mammatus clouds, etc... I never really knew that people actually run for basements and such when the weather gets bad because we were always running for the cameras and drawn outside. When we watch old home videos there are very few kids in the picture but lots of time lapses of thunderheads building.   

Theresa, I went through a huge survival thing when I was about his age. I don't know if any of it transfers down here though. I was miles high in Colorado at the time! Much more applicable to Alaska than the Keys. Though I do know of one boy his age in Marathon that is all about survival stuff. (David knows him too.) We did Homeschool PE with him for awhile and he had all the kids loaded down with pvc blow guns and damp t.p. before a month had gone by.   

Candance, I do miss fall and all the related topics. I tried to go back and visit my sister during fall a few times, but MAN! is it colder than I remember! Those crisp apples were terrific though.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 21 2009 at 1:04am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We seem to do weather over again many times, because, well...we always have some weather...

Birds is a frequently returned to science topic here, too. So is geology. Each fall there is a great Gem & Mineral Show here and going to that gets us back on the study of rocks and minerals.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version