Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Purging Papers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Oh, how I love nesting!!

Does anyone know of a good source that tells you what you "really" need to hang onto, paper wise? I have stacks to file, and I shred a huge stack yesterday that I didnt' look at for a year. We don't own a business, or anything like that, but it seems like every time I open the mail it implores me to hang onto for tax purpouses! I don't need guilt from paper!

Can anyone give direction? Thanks!!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Anne, I can recommend Homefile created by friends of ours, for organizing home files. Duh

It has some guidelines in it, at other times, it will tell you to check with a local financial planner or attorney.

It is really helpful categorizing - and the major categories are identified for you, there's a 'quick find' index, the file dividers are sturdy. You'll find pictures on the site of the dividers.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

That looks interesting, Tami- thank you! I'll have to go through it more thoroughly this afternoon!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Sure, Anne. I hope you find it helpful!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Anne, this link lists what tax documents to keep and for how long. We have tons of old tax records, and I am considering taking the returns over ten years old and scanning them onto a disk. I talked to my sister (who is a CPA) and she said that would probably be fine, except documents pertaining to house purchases/major renovations should be kept in paper format. For more recent returns, I keep the entire package with all the back-up documents in a large three-ring notebook. The Homefile system above looks nice, too, but the real problem is what to keep and what to toss. If you use a tax preparer, he should also be able to help you out with what to keep and what to toss.HTH!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

stellamaris wrote:
Anne, this link lists what tax documents to keep and for how long. We have tons of old tax records, and I am considering taking the returns over ten years old and scanning them onto a disk.

We were auditted last year The tax lawyer we hired told us not to save returns and pertinent documents for more than three years! The IRS can ASK for documents going back 10 years, but can only REQUIRE documents going back 3 years. They told us for 99% of Americans it is much safer to dispose of documents that are older than three years. So each April 16th we have a form burning party for everything that was filed 3 years ago.

Obviously this doesn't refer to deeds, insurance paper work or that type of files.

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Well, here's my question. Every time I sneeze, I get a piece of paper from my medical insurance company saying that I went to the dr and they covered it, and that I'll probably have to pay $5 for sneezing in front of an in network dr. I also have all the paid water bills, cc bills, electric bills, etc. One idea I heard for said bills, which I really like, is to take an expandable 12 file, and for all bills paid in May, put in the May spot. Next May, take out the papers, shred, and start anew. There are the obvious things I need to keep, but then there's the "if the house burns down tomorrow, how much of this stuff will I actually miss?" question.

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I used Dawn's file crate idea for these papers. I got a pretty good-sized portable file box and used hanging file folders to separate it into two-month sections (jan/feb, mar/apr, etc.). I did get out a little more than 12 months. In each hanging folder, I put three interior file folders: health, bills paid, and accounts. Under the health label, I am filing all those papers from the insurance co. and the original statements from the dr. office that detail the service. Bills paid is obvious! Accounts holds all the bank statements, investment account statements, etc. I also added two hanging folders at the back: one for labeled "Taxes 2009" and one labeled "Warranties". In the taxes folder, I have three file folders labeled deductions, payments, income. Warranties is for the 12-month limited warranties that come with everything. I figure when I get 12 months out, I can shred one folder's worth of paper at a time.
Also, I set up a three-ring binder to hold more permanent papers-insurance policies, our time-share information, and other types of papers we want to keep for 12-24 months that don't a category in the file box. Hope that makes sense! Btw, I have my previous years' taxes in other notebooks.
A wonderful aspect to this whole system is that between the financial file box and my "yearly" file box (a la Dawn), moving my paper trail will actually be super-easy!
Just two boxes and a notebook.

This system is working well for me...THANK YOU, DAWN!!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version