Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Wider Hips? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 07 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

Has anybody else experienced your hip bones being much wider after pregnancy. It's not really fat, there's a little there, but the bones just stretched much wider this time. I suspect the wider pressure of two babies heads pressing down on the pelvis? But I can only fit into the skirts i wore at 6or 7 months pregant with my last pregnancy.

Does this just rectify itself over time? Or does anyone know of something to help the hips shrink back down? And how soon is it realistic to expect to be loosing weight after pregnancy?

I have lost 30 of the 55 lbs. gained so far, which is good, but it has leveled off there. I try to eat healthy, but I also don't want to eat to little to sustain nursing 2 little ones. 2 friends have told me that they found that if they tried to eat less, they actually retained more weight, but if they ate to hunger during nursing they lost the weight better. Anyone else experience this, where they retained weight by not eating enough while nursing? I don't want to hinder weight loss here. I want to get back into shape again before the next pregnancy. Which I get pregant very easily after returning to my cycles around 6-8 months.

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2009 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Dear Pilgrim,

I love,love,love your avatar!
My hips are wider too, since giving birth to my twins (this I've noticed when looking at pictures of myself). I've been wondering what to do about this, as I am nursing a 4 month old. My Physician recommended eating 6 small meals a day rather than 3 big ones! And exercise!!   Am going to try it!
Looking forward to hearing what's worked for others!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2009 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

Dear Nique,

Thank you for your reply.

I like your avitar, too! The Madonna of the Streets is one of my absolute favorite pictures of Our Lady. It also has very special mening to my husband and I from our dating/courting days.

It's interesting to know that your twin preg. made your hips wider, too. Did you have other pregnancies prior to that?

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2009 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Hi Pilgrim:)

Yes, I've had 4 pregnancies before my twins..Congratulations on your double blessings:):)

And I agree.."Our God IS an Awesome God!"

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2009 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

(Read this with a pleasantly inquisitive tone ) Why does it concern you if the bone structure is what's wider now? I happened to be thinking the other day about how wider hips are just part of the feminine bone structure even though I grew up thinking they were something you were "supposed to" feel bad about, and I'm pretty sure having fat tend to deposit there more than other places is as well... but if it's just bone and not a matter of truly excess fat, I don't know why it's a problem!

I think stretching of skin with pregnancy and other weight gain can result in lost elasticity and clothes fitting differently even after weight loss because parts are not "where" they were before if you know what I mean.

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2009 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

I've decided to erase what I previously wrote. I'm with Pilgrim!!

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2009 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

My mother worked with a couple different weight loss companies for several years (as an employee). In the end, the best thing she recommends is what was already suggested: smaller meals, in more quantity - high quality meals of course! The idea being that it keeps your metabolism going. If you have a long time between meals, your body will tend to store up what it can because it knows it will "be a while" until the next meal. But if your digestion is constantly on the move, your body won't store up as much as quickly.

Then if true over-eating (too much food in a 24-hour period, regardless of schedule of eating) is truly a problem, you can start cutting back a little at each of the multiple meals until you are eating an appropriate amount for your state in life (nursing twins requires a little more!). This slow change tricks the body into NOT storing up....

Now, wider hips on the other hand - are beautiful because they carried all those babies!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Wide hips were something that I brought to the game already, so they seem just as wide (and I've never had twins)... but now I feel like I have a wide rib cage??

And I did spend some time trying to figure it out -- because I wanted to know whether I needed to lose weight (or if I did lose weight what areas would be smaller in size) OR if it was part of the new me.

I decided it was part of the new me... and purged clothes that would never fit even with weight loss accordingly.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

My hips and rib cage expanded too! And not evenly!

I figure that is what our body is for; to spend living out our vocation as God calls us to it.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Ever notice that men can't carry babies on their hips??

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

that's why they get bellies...

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bridget wrote:
that's why they get bellies...

ROTFL!!

My hips are huge compared to the rest of my body....but I'm pretty sure mine is fat, not bone spread nec....but could be a lot of both.   Part of it is just how my body is made, but it's def. gotten worse since bearing those 5 babies! My weight comes off after pregnancies, just not there....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2009 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

Thank you ladies for all the responses, the reminder that a mother's "baby made" body is beautiful, and for the comic relief!

I never understood the concept of why to eat six small meals, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Both my ribs and hips got wider, and also my shoulders. We(my husband and I) just marveled at how the body expands to accomodate two little ones.

My issue is the clothing one. I would like to fit into my old clothes. It is already hard to find modest clothes, I have already worked hard at building a wardrobe of modest, flattering, and "able to nurse in" clothes, on a very small budget, and being my thrifty self(money and time! Who hates having to spend such a large amount of time sifting through tons of clothes at Goodwill or St. Vincent's, and being in the presence of "the world".), I hate to have to do away with all those clothes, and spend money all over again. It is soooo hard sometimes to find clothes that are modest and yet flattering(but I willing do so because it is important to me, and my husband. Modesty is important to him, and he appreciates how hard I work at it, and trying to dress nice for him at the same time).

I want to look nice for my husband, too. I know it may sound vain or like focusing on the worldly aspect of beauty, but I want to look nice physically for my husband. He doesn't make a big deal of it, but it is to me, fo his sake. I figure, if he works hard to be pure, and keep his eyes only for me, I want to work hard to look nice for him. I know after pregangcies, it is unrealistic to look like you did before you ever had babies. And, he does, too. I already had all kinds of stretch marks(from my first dd) when we got married, and he had no issue with that, he is not that way. But, after the last preg. with the 18 mo I got back to my normal size pretty quiclky. I know there will always be strtch marks, extra skin, etc. But I also know realistically, if you keep piling pregnancy after pregancy onto a body without loosing the weight/size/etc., then you'll end up a very unhealthy size.

I was just concerned with this wider thing, of what I could do. I always look into things to see what I can do, and was hoping someone here might know what do do for this My figure is already wide as it is, I have always had those wonderful "child bearing hips"(which I am grateful for, it helps carry those two precious babies around!). I know for certain the bones expanded out, and I wondered if anyone knew if they can ever go back in, or do I just resolve myself that it will never happen( and to a whole new wardrobe, oh the dread of clothes shopping! ) . I know a number of changes happen with preganacy that naturally resolve themselves.

St. Clare Audio

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

It's funny. I haven't had twins but I noticed that my hip bones have expanded since my last pregnancy, too. I suspect that my rib cage has as well. I know that it is not fat, because I am chronically underweight except when I'm pregnant. It's not even a redistribution of fat, which I have in other areas.

The biggest annoyance is the wardrobe issue. I barely have time to shop for new clothes as it is. And pants that used to fit me well are either too tight in the hips but right in the waist or right in the hips but too loose in the waste. When my parents visited last weekend I actually got a chance to go out and try on some various jeans.

My parents also brought me two dresses that had been stored at their house. They were both size 5/6. I could fit into the one from college. But I couldn't fit into my prom dress--it started getting tight around the rib cage and the whale bone in the bodice didn't help.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I definitely understand the clothing issue, and not knowing when to go ahead and buy new ones, although I still have enough just plain excess fat to deal with that expanded bone structure is not something I have noticed even if it has happened to me.

Wanting to look nice for your husband is a good thing! Unfortunately in my experience -- not at all presuming to speak for you -- it has often been mixed in with a lot of negativity based in what years of absorbing media messages has led me to fear my husband must "really" want and think. That's the only reason I asked what the issue was with wider hip bones

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

I think that you arent giving your body enough time to finish changing. It took nine months of some pretty intense pressures to get where it is, 2.5 months is a little soon to give up hope. I'm large boned (size 10 on me is anerexic looking, all bony [experience with extreme low carb dieting]) so my twins didn't affect my hips much, but my sternum was broken and the lower tip of it pokes out and that won't resolve itself. At least it didn't hurt when it happened (I didn't notice it untill after the twins were born) and it isn't noticeable. But with babies as big as mine, ( 10 lb 5 oz 7 lb 3 oz) I came out pretty well .
Losing the extra 15 lbs to fit comfortably into a size 12 (thank heavens fur elastic ) has been a challenge though. Don't replace your wardrobe yet .

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version