Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Plastic Clothing storage bags? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 04 2009 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

So after surviving the strangest spring, I finally finished the winter to summer clothing switcheroo. But each year, the boys' clothing gets a size bigger and has a harder time fitting into one bin. And there's over FIVE bins to carry up and down stairs.

So.. I got to wondering about those plastic storage bags that you vacuum... like on TV (I sound like my kids!)

Does anyone have them? How do you use them? Where did you get them?

I think that at least for our winter coats they would take care of one bulky bin?

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Bump...I'm interested in getting feedback, too, Maryan!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

we used these with moderate success. they did cut down on space, as advertised, but there was a definite plastic smell. not overwhelming, but worth mentioning. we've also used the smaller bags that came with the set for travel, which was great for consolidating luggage.

sorry, I can't remember the brand or where we got them. (probably because I didn't actually buy them ... my DH gets really excited about space-saving products since he's married to a packrat. )

they were handy, though, and we did reuse them several times before we started having problems with the seal ripping ... of course, that may be operator error. hope that helps!

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I use the plastic vacuum bags only for things that I won't need access to very often.....snow clothes,bulky winter coats, newborn clothing (yeah, right ), bulky sweaters (dh and me), etc. I access my other off-season-clothing boxes too often during the year...lookingn for a specific item, or putting something away that got missed during the switcharoo. The vacuum bags are too "permanent" for that....cuz it requires more than a lid-off, lid-on kind of thing.

They get put under furniture in our basement.
Got them originally from QVC or something like that...but i've seen them at Bed Bath Beyond, etc.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Maryan - I bought some the last time I was nesting i was not impressed - and I can't remember why. They really do squish things up for limited space. Some may have ripped - or maybe I found it difficult to do. Mine were from the Container Store.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2009 at 4:19am | IP Logged Quote Erin

All our clothes are stored in plastic bags. There are advantages and disadvantages.

Disadvantages- They can rip or spring a leak.
For the leaks we tape with duct tape and it sometimes is effective but even in the bags they take less room than the tubs. They aren't cheap though so the leaks/rips really irritate.

Also it isn't easy to pull out an item needed or add an item that you missed storing. So I often tend to have a pile waiting for me to open and re-suction.

Advantage- They really suck down, reduce room.
That is why I continue to use them.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 05 2009 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have a few...and didn't stick with them for the same reason others mention...they open themselves easily. Some didn't rip, but they did "unseal" themselves. It was a pain.

Having said that...I'm out of room, too. Bins are taking over my attics. I've got to get a handle on the outgrown-but-waiting-on-the-next-little-person clothes!

I didn't exactly store my vaccuum sealed bags nicely. That might be one reason they puffed back up or opened. Perhaps, if I'd stored them like Suzanne under furniture they'd last longer...rather than in the attic! So, that's one thought I have.

I've had an easier time with switcheroos since I bought those rolling shallow bins that roll under the bed. I don't even put lids on them anymore. Each bed (those on the floor - not the ones that are bunked obviously    ) gets 2 rolling bins under it. There is a SEVERE penalty for touching the clothing in the bins. I keep the off-season clothes of the next size in the bins under the beds. Then, when that set is totally outgrown...and if it is still wearable and saveable (not often with boys)...I move it to bins in the attic that are marked by size. Thinking of how often I'm in and out of the rolling bins, I don't think the bags would work for me...I'd have to schlep the vacuum cleaner upstairs endlessly because even with my stiff penalty for removing clothes...sometimes the black sweats are all that will do (even in the dead of summer) if a certain boy needs to be a knight or someone from Star Wars...they'd happily bust into those bags, flinging clothing everywhere to get to the one item or shirt or whatever that they were looking for. My older daughter is better about leaving it alone - predictably.

I may need to re-think the vacuum seal bags for more permanent storage though...and think of some way to store the storage bags so that they are less likely to bust open.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We use them for truly seasonal things. My soft Christmas decorations, like table clothes, tree skirt, stocking and such, are in the bags. Also the heavy winter coats, snow pants, ski gloves.

I don't store clothes in them. Here in the mid-west, we might need to pull out sweaters in August or a tee shirt in February. Also, I like to add outgrown clothes to the buckets each time I do laundry. That way I remember that a pair of pants were 2 inches too small the last time someone wore them, or a tummy was showing in a shirt.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2009 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

All good feedback here ladies! Did anyone's clothes have a plastic-y smell?

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version